Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Some player updates from Ross Atkins

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Some player updates from Ross Atkins

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:04 am

I had a chance to sit down and talk to Atkins tonight about a lot of players. Sat down for two innings with him at the Captains game and just went to town asking question after question. Some quick notes, as I'll have to go back to the audio to remember everything (I'll likely write an article on it, or add to my Thurs column):

- Max Ramirez and Wes Hodges are staying in Kinston. They still have things to work on, and there is no rush to move them up.

- 3B Kelvin Diaz is still in the DSL....and the reason is still VISA problems. No idea when it will ever be cleared up. Been a problem for two years now. When asked if Diaz was here in the states where he would be right now, he said Kinston because he should have been in the states the last two years.

- Hoyman in EST, and not looking good. I forget what he said exactly, I'll check the audio later, but he is struggling to come back from the injury. I didn't ask him and he didn't say it, but I think Hoyman is about done.

- Mills is staying at 3B. I actually learned this in an inteview with Mills earlier in the afternoon, but apparantly the Indians like what they have seen from him at 3B and are going to leave him there. The shoulder impingement is not as bad as it was thought to be, so they are going to leave him at 3B it looks like.

- Nick Weglarz is, to Atkins, the biggest story in the system this year. Raved about his plate discpline, power, OPS for such a young age. Excited about him.

Talked to him about a bunch of other guys but can't remember at the moment. I'll share more later after I transcribe the audio.

If anyone has any specific player questions, let me know. I'm going to be calling him or his assistant Steve Frohwerk (sp) likely once a week for player updates and info.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby ArtGold » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:04 am

That visa issue for Diaz is troubling, it makes me wonder if the correct age is being reported. Assuming he doesn't have a criminal history, what kind of visa problem prevents you from coming to the US for two years?

BTW Tony, looks like you made a good call on Crowe heating up the second half of this year.
ArtGold

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:49 am

Yeah, while I was talking to him I mentioned Crowe and how he has gotten hot, and Ross looked down at his phone/Blackberry or whatever and said yeah he has two more hits tonight so far.

In regard to the Visa issue, it has something to do with the record keeping when you are born in the DR. Obviously, many births go on without record, and when you become a baseball player it presents a problem when you try to get a Visa. I recorded what he said, but it is hard to hear some of his comments again as I was talking to him in the stands and the people around us were quite loud during that portion. But, it has to do with the DR government. Ross seemed at a loss about it too, and loves the kid saying he'd be in Kinston right now if not for the Visa issues.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB