Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

So, who replaces Eddie Moo?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

So, who replaces Eddie Moo?

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:52 pm

I've seen enough.

Koplove? Laffey? The ghost of Matt Miller's elbow?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:09 pm

Laffey's gotta be the call. Dude is en fuego right now. Couldn't believe what I was reading in Tony's column today.

What about Jensen Lewis as a wild card?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:21 pm

I wouldn't go for Jensen Lewis- we have/ will have enought issues regarding the 40 man roster this offseason without adding another name (that doesn't need to be added until Nov 2008).

Laffey is a lefty and I doubt we will go with 4 lefties in the pen (Fultz, Laffey, Perez and Stanford).

Cliff Politte is someone to keep an eye on IMHO
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:26 pm

I don't count Fultz since he's on the DL: I expect Stanford to get traded the instant Fultz comes back.

(Moving Perez off the 25-man would be suicidal.)
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:42 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:I don't count Fultz since he's on the DL: I expect Stanford to get traded the instant Fultz comes back.

Stanford just might get dealt, but I think they will hang onto him. If disaster struck and another starter went down for a month I think they would 1st turn to Stanford to fill the slot in the rotation (since Miller isn't ready to take the slot yet and Sowers has continued to struggle).

Having read that Matt Miller is healthy again, it might be time to bring him back up.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:32 pm

Groom Adam Miller to pitch the 7th inning down the stretch for us this year?

It won't happen, but its tempting IMO.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:18 pm

I believe we'll see Matt Miller called up to replace Eddie Moo real soon. And, there is an outside chance that it could be the other Miller, Adam, who gets the call.

Jensen Lewis is not an option yet, nor is Laffey. They are not taking Laffey out of the rotation.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby paulcousineau » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:12 pm

With the 40-man issues, has to be Matt Miller or Koplove because they're both there.

They are similar pitchers and both have pitched well recently. Koplove is closing in Buffalo, but I think it was Consig that said that you have to get as many productive innings out of Matt Miller in MLB as possible before something gets strained.

IMO
Matt Miller replace Moo.
Stanford moved out when Fultz ready.
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby Hoover » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:25 pm

Swerb wrote:Groom Adam Miller to pitch the 7th inning down the stretch for us this year?

It won't happen, but its tempting IMO.

Why did they switch him to relief? Then if he doesn't perform adequately, they'll switch him back to starting. Can you say Jason Davis? Switching a young guy back & forth is not a good thing.
Hoover

Unread postby pup » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:02 pm

Why did they switch him to relief? Then if he doesn't perform adequately, they'll switch him back to starting. Can you say Jason Davis? Switching a young guy back & forth is not a good thing.

Sure did cause problems for that Santana character.

Miller is pitching out of the pen to rebuild stamina from missing a few weeks. It just so happens that if he is good at it, and it fills a need for the big club without having to make a trade to fill it, you have to look at it.

The plan is not and will not be to leave him in the pen after this year, no matter what happens.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby paulcousineau » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:31 pm

It just so happens that if he is good at it, and it fills a need for the big club without having to make a trade to fill it, you have to look at it.

The plan is not and will not be to leave him in the pen after this year, no matter what happens.

Adam Wainwright's 2nd half of 2006 and start of 2007 show an effective application of this idea.
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:16 am

Hoover wrote:Why did they switch him to relief? Then if he doesn't perform adequately, they'll switch him back to starting. Can you say Jason Davis? Switching a young guy back & forth is not a good thing.

Don't worry. They are not about to bounce Miller back and forth from starter to reliever to starter to reliever. IF they decide to use him in the pen this year, it will be for the rest of the year unless an injury comes up where he is more useful as a starter. But, other than that, he would stick in the bullpen and then go back into the rotation next year. He won't be bouncing back and forth.
consigliere

Unread postby Duane Kuiper » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:01 am

And what is Liriano doing this year?

A. Miller is back in the Buffalo rotation. I hope they don't put him in the ML BP. He then wouldn't be able to pitch a full year next year in the ML rotation because of limited IP this year.

If Jensen Lewis is ready, then bring him up. Heck with the clock issues.
Duane Kuiper

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:39 am

Duane Kuiper wrote:If Jensen Lewis is ready, then bring him up. Heck with the clock issues.

Jensen might be able to help or he might not. This is his 1st season in the bullpen.

The use of options and the accumulation of major league service time do NOT bother me.

I am concerned when guys are added to the 40 man roster AHEAD of schedule. There are at least 30 players in the minors right now that decisions need to be made on (add to the 40 roster or not). This number is nearly twice the normal size due to the extra development year granted in the recent CBA.

Am I saying do not add Jensen under any circumstance? No.
All I am saying is this 'quick fix' proposed by some has a few more pitfalls and issues then most realize, so tread carefully.

Names I would need to rule out before I look at Jensen include: Cliff Politte, Matt Miller, Mike Koplove, Juan Lara, Edward (Bubbie) Buzachero, Reid Santos, Randy Newsom, Adam Miller, Scott Lewis, Aaron Laffey, Sean Smith, Shawn Nottingham and Tony Sipp.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:32 pm

Duane Kuiper wrote:A. Miller is back in the Buffalo rotation. I hope they don't put him in the ML BP. He then wouldn't be able to pitch a full year next year in the ML rotation because of limited IP this year.

Limited number of IP is not a concern. If he were to not get enough innings in this year, they would send him to winter ball in the Arizona Fall League or one of winter leagues in the caribbean.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:36 pm

Duane Kuiper wrote:

And what is Liriano doing this year?

A. Miller is back in the Buffalo rotation. I hope they don't put him in the ML BP. He then wouldn't be able to pitch a full year next year in the ML rotation because of limited IP this year.

If Jensen Lewis is ready, then bring him up. Heck with the clock issues.

Liriano has had arm problems for a lot longer than this year. That is how the Twins were able to acquire him, the Giants knew his arm was falling off.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB