Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Ya Gotta Respect Leyland

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Ya Gotta Respect Leyland

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:13 pm

This guy has been a favorite of mine ever since I first saw him sucking down heaters in the dugout. A great manager, good guy, and the essence of the word throwback.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindea ... xml&coll=2

The Indians entered this three-game series at Comerica Park leading the Tigers by two games. Leyland took the Tigers to the World Series last season in his first year as their manager and as a reward he gets to manage the AL All-Stars.

After the fans and players voted for their All-Star favorites, Leyland had seven choices of his own. He picked Chicago's Bobby Jenks, Texas' Michael Young, Tampa Bay's Carl Crawford, Toronto's Alex Rios and Kansas City's Gil Meche to fulfill the rule that every team be represented at the All-Star Game.

That left him with two picks.

Leyland took Tribe catcher Victor Martinez and Minnesota pitcher Johan Santana. He picked Martinez over Tigers designated hitter Gary Sheffield and Santana over Tigers right-hander Jeremy Bonderman.

Concerning Martinez's selection, Leyland said, "Yes, it was a tough choice, but I felt Martinez deserved to go."

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindea ... xml&coll=2

Detroit- Tiger manager Jim Leyland said he didn't blow the whistle on Rafael Betancourt.

"I want to make it perfectly clear," said Leyland before Wednesday's game. "I don't play chicken-bleep, high school baseball. I don't care how long it takes Betancourt to throw a baseball. I don't complain to the umpires about silly stuff."

After the umpires called two balls on Betancourt in the Indians' 5-4 victory over the Tigers in 11 innings Tuesday, manager Eric Wedge said Leyland or someone else on the Tigers must have asked Dana DeMuth's crew to put the clock on Betancourt to see if he was violating MLB's revised 12-second rule.

"I called Eric and he said he never mentioned my name," said Leyland.

Wedge told reporters after Tuesday's game, "Obviously, Jim or someone over there gave the umpires a heads-up."

It was clear Wedge was referring to Leyland.

Leyland talked to Wedge, hitting coach Derek Shelton and pitching coach Carl Willis just before the Indians started batting practice Wednesday.

"It was an unusual situation," Wedge told reporters. "Jim didn't have anything to do with it. Somebody obviously gave the umpires a heads-up because they were ready for it. Who knows why and who knows why it was [Tuesday] night."
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:01 pm

Also like Leyland and have always felt he was a classy manager. He was the one person I felt happy for in 1997 when the Marlins won. I always pulled for him in the early 90s with those good Pirates teams. The Braves were the big boys then and I thought it'd be nice for Leyland's Pirates to get to the Series.

No surprise that he didn't pull an Ozzie Guillen and load up on his own guys. I think he would have but only if he thought they deserved it most. He clearly felt Victor was deserving of a spot. Shows how much he respect his competition in the division.

Thing to wonder is how much better would the Tribe be if we had Leyland managing us?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby pup » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:48 pm

I agree with everything said so far.

Except that Leyland had nothing to do with Betancourt. That was directly from him. In the series in Cleveland he whined everytime Rafy was in a game about his bouncing front leg while in the stretch. He got nothing out of that, since he does it everytime it is not for deception. He had to find something new to get in his head and this was it.

The conversation between Jim and Eric before Wednesday's game went:

Leyland: "Eric, I did not complain about Betancourt"
Wedge: "I think you did and I am pissed"
Leyland: "How would you feel getting your ass kicked by a 65 year old man?"
Wedge: "OK, maybe it was someone else. Sorry Mr. Leyland"

The first thing Wedge should have done was after Kenny Rogers threw one pitch, have the umpires make him strip down to his jock looking for pine tar. Then Leyland would think twice about playing the bush games next time.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB