Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

ESPN Sportscenter . . .

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

ESPN Sportscenter . . .

Unread postby dragonmeister » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:48 am

Here I am sitting here watching ESPN Sportscenter and I am puzzled as to why they have yet to give accolades to the Cleveland Indians.

Other than the Boston Red Sox who have 51 wins, the Tribe has 50 as does Los Angeles Angels. These are the 3 best records in MLB.

How does Jeff Garcia make the Sportscenter Rundown? How do the Orioles/White Sox make the Rundown? How does soccer make the Rundown? How do the Blue Jays/Athletics make the Rundown?

Tribe is on a 5 wins in a row streak and like Rodney Dangerfield, they still get no respect.

IMO we are playing some great ball right now on all sides . . . pitching/batting/defense.

Just give us a little respect, ESPN! :mrgreen:
dragonmeister

Unread postby scott » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:43 am

The baseball tonight guys are better at giving credit to the Tribe. They love the team's bb/k ratio. I quit watching SportsCenter over the past few years. It's like a celebrity focused show that also talks about sports.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:44 am

Once Indians fans start showing up to games and the team moves up from the fourth worst average attendance people can start complaining about the national press ignoring the market.

Why would ESPN waste time catering to a market that has thus far practically ignored the 3rd best team in the league?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:56 am

Does 8500 walkup tickets to make a 34K crowd for a Monday night game against a second-division opponent count?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Crash Davis » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:01 am

For a Monday night I don't what else you could ask for except for maybe not raising ticket prices until this team makes a postseason appearance
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:05 am

I just saw that. Certainly a marked improvement, even if for just one night. I would assume the fact that it is a holiday week and a lot of people are off contributed drastically to that number. Keep it up for a few months and maybe Sportscenter/ESPN will notice.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:15 am

Crash Davis wrote:For a Monday night I don't what else you could ask for except for maybe not raising ticket prices until this team makes a postseason appearance

All of that is fine and dandy and you can cite whatever reasons you want for people not showing up, but the point of this thread is Sportscenter not giving the Indians their due. My point is of course they aren’t and why would they waste their time giving extra coverage to what is a bad baseball market right now when they can spend their extra time covering good baseball markets?

As of right now last night is an outlier. It is a nice outlier, but it is meaningless for the time being.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby scott » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:16 am

e0y2e3 wrote:I would assume the fact that it is a holiday week and a lot of people are off contributed drastically to that number.

Last night was the Tribe's big fireworks night of the year, since we're away for the 4th of July. The fans saw a good game. Hopefully they come back for the baseball a few times this year.
scott

Unread postby Crash Davis » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:21 am

And I thought my point was clear ( -"until this team makes a postseason appearance") ESPN and other major media outlets cover the teams that year in and year out reach the postseason. We haven't reached the playoffs since Shapiro took over so I am not surprised they haven't given us much attention. The bottom line is we have to earn respect to get respect from markets other than our own.
Crash Davis

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:26 am

Crash Davis wrote:And I thought my point was clear ( -"until this team makes a postseason appearance") ESPN and other major media outlets cover the teams that year in and year out reach the postseason. We haven't reached the playoffs since Shapiro took over so I am not surprised they haven't given us much attention. The bottom line is we have to earn respect to get respect from markets other than our own.

My mistake, I thought you were referring to the attendance issues being caused by not making the playoffs.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Crash Davis » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:33 am

No worries e0y2e3. The lack of coverage pisses me off too but until we prove we are legitimate contenders instead of what were in '04 and '05 I think the national media outlets will stay away. Both the Red Sox and Angels who are the only two teams in the AL that have better winning pcts then us get more attention from ESPN and others than we do. It's also no coincidence that they both have been in the playoffs consistenly the last several years and have each one a WS title recently. The only exception of a team that I think that gets more attention then we do is the Yankees.
Crash Davis

Unread postby lovsgrady » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:44 am

How about that play Perez made with the bases loaded to get the out at home, maybe a game changing play right there, and it didn't even make web gems, while a play that Casey made earlier, that also didn't make it in, was a web gem. When baseball tonight finally showed the indians, they didn't even mention it as a gem nominee, and they weren't very enthusiastic about Grand ol' Grady's homer, while I think it was in the Astros game, another person hit a grand slam, they showed this before Cleveland, and they were like screaming and wow I can't believe it ing, and all that stuff, I totally agree that sportscenter and ESPN in general has no respect for Cleveland. Even the first and 10 guys, (I think that is the right name for the show) that one guy who hated LeBron, and Don't even know what his name is, he said the Curtis Granderson deserves to be an all star over Grady, his excuse was he has a higher batting average, and has scored more runs. Isn't Grady second or third behind A-rod and someone else, it could be Granderson, does anyone know if Granderson scored more runs, cause if he did, my anger is totally misplaced. At least they gave the Shoppach walk off the energy it deserved.
Why so serious
lovsgrady
Future Mrs. Sizemore

Unread postby dragonmeister » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:06 pm

But as I said above:

How does Jeff Garcia make the Sportscenter Rundown? How do the Orioles/White Sox make the Rundown? How does soccer make the Rundown? How do the Blue Jays/Athletics make the Rundown?

Why do any of them deserve respect?

:mrgreen:
dragonmeister

Unread postby drewd » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:17 pm

It is bc many ESPN people, when they did there predictions thought the tribe would be were they are. So the tribe winning 50 games so far isn't a big surprise for them.

Only surprise it is to are those fans who are holding back agaisnt the tribe bc of the dismantling of the great 90's team.
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby dragonmeister » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:35 pm

Why would ESPN waste time catering to

Jeff Garcia . . . no comment
Chicago White Sox . . . in 4th place behind by 13.5 games
Soccer . . . no comment
Baltimore Orioles . . . in 4th place behind by 14 games
Oakland Athletics . . . in 3rd place behind by 9 games
Toronto Blue Jays . . . in 2nd place behind by 10.5 games

:mrgreen:
dragonmeister

Unread postby cozmeesah » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:50 pm

lovsgrady wrote:Isn't Grady second or third behind A-rod and someone else, it could be Granderson, does anyone know if Granderson scored more runs, cause if he did, my anger is totally misplaced.

Sizemore is 3rd in the AL in runs scored with 68, behind ARod (74) and Sheffield (69.) Granderson is 7th in runs scored with 58.

Someone needs to show that dude the stats. Granderson has a little bit higher average, a few less K's, more doubles and crapload of triples, but other than that Grady basically beats him overall.

AVG:
Sizemore - .283
Granderson - .289

RUNS:
Sizemore - 68
Granderson - 58

DOUBLES:
Sizemore - 15
Granderson - 22

TRIPLES:
Sizemore - 2
Granderson - 11

HOME RUNS:
Sizemore - 14
Granderson - 11

RBI:
Sizemore - 45
Granderson - 41

WALKS:
Sizemore - 50
Granderson - 26

STRIKEOUTS:
Sizemore - 86 (1st in AL)
Granderson - 76 (3rd in AL)

STOLEN BASES:
Sizemore - 23
Granderson - 9

ON BASE %:
Sizemore - .397
Granderson - .343

So while Granderson has more XBH, doesn't seem to really make a difference. It hasn't led to higher #'s in RBI, runs or OBP than Sizemore. Don't get me wrong, Granderson is good, very good. You can easily make a case for him for the ASG as well as Grady. But for that guy to put his ill-informed opinion out there is typical ESPN. Grady was voted in by the AL players, who have all played against both he and Curtis. They obviously felt Grady deserved it more for some reason.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby livinthesportslife » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:17 pm

I watched SportsCenter on Monday morning, and they did manage to show the highlights of the Indians-Devil Rays. It was a relatively quick highlight, and I was hoping for maybe just a small comment on how good the Tribe is playing. I figured they had a lot of show to get through, but I thought maybe they would say something, anything

But no. Instead, they decided to talk about how bad the Devil Rays where playing, like this was some anomaly. THE DEVIL RAYS PLAYING BAD BASEBALL?! Do any of you guys remember the last time when THEY were bad? Oh yeah, forever. They even got a graphic and a little segment. Bastards.
livinthesportslife

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:50 pm

If the Indians get to the playoffs, they'll be the darlings of the national media (with the possible exception of the Red Sox). Just watch. This is a team with several charismatic, naturally likeable young star players, guys like Grady, Pronk, Victor, and C.C. Very high Q-rating. And the media will push the Cleveland-Desperately-Wants-a-Championship storyline till its blue in the face if the team advances.

Provided we make it to October, we'll get all the national love we can handle.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Dozen » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 pm

To me this is really no big deal. The tribe have not made the post-season in years so to expect to get national love for being in 1st place on July 1st is kind of ridiculous. They will get respect once they earn it for an entire season.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Babrook » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:31 pm

Every time theres an Indians game on Sportscenter, it's 'SO LETZ GO 2 DA 7TH INNNING' and they skip half the damn game.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby lovsgrady » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:32 pm

Sportscenter this morning showed the 7th inning where the d-rays had bases loaded and how we got out of it, that's good, but they made it more about tampa bay, then the indians, and we won, they hardly even mentioned that we swept them in a four game series, now how hard is it to sweep any series, let alone four games...come on people, they also showed the Slam, but with little enthusiasm, again, and they didn't even mention Benny, going 3 for 3 and he didn't even make the highlights, this easy even for me to say, i find going 3 for 3 and almost hitting for the cycle alittle bit more exciting and important to that game than Grady's slam, that was just the icing on the cake. ESPN has got to get a clue.

and thanks for the stats, I already couldn't stand that dude, the man who yells way above the normal level to make his point even though yelling is uncalled for and unnecessary, he is also wrong...wow, even more reason to not like him...I think his name is Skip or something. He thinks his voice level with show that he is right more than is information, that is so annoying. :evil:
Why so serious
lovsgrady
Future Mrs. Sizemore

Unread postby Dozen » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:09 pm

Sweeping the devil rays is equal to my son wiping out an ant hill................ no one gives a shit. Im just not sure what you want from sportscenter here......... I do agree about Skippy though, he is an idiot.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby scott » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:18 pm

Dozen wrote:Sweeping the devil rays is equal to my son wiping out an ant hill......

4 game sweeps are never easy in baseball.

If the Tribe keeps it up and overtakes Boston and Anaheim ( I can't call them LA) for the best record in the AL, they'll probably get the attention. Unfortunately, that attention might come in the form of a "The team is winning, where are the fans" story.
scott

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:23 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:Does 8500 walkup tickets to make a 34K crowd for a Monday night game against a second-division opponent count?

Hard to say. While nice to see, it also was a major fireworks extravaganza and a holiday game.

I'm curious to see how they draw on the next homestand on a Mon, Tues, Wed or Thurs.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:29 pm

Let me just say that I am a lot less interested in "props" than ever. With the advent of mlb.com and other outlets, I can usually find highlight video of any game I want and don't have to wait through SportsCenter to see a play. With the advent of other websites, I can usually find enough written about the Indians to suit my needs. And the people I care about talking baseball with are generally well-informed, thus know about the Indians and their players.

Selfishly, ESPN not covering the Tribe drives people here, which is actually okay with me.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby BruceK » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:36 pm

"Just give us a little respect, ESPN! "

Screw 'em -- this is Cleveland, we've got to be tough!
We don't have to go sniveling for approval from a bunch of East Coast assholes.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB