Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

We gonna see Laffey in the pen later this year?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

We gonna see Laffey in the pen later this year?

Unread postby Babrook » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:04 pm

The numbers Laffey put up in June border on ridiculous. He made five starts and one relief appearance -after Adam Miller's one-inning return start- and posted a 6-0 record with a 0.87ERA. He allowed just 30 hits and struck out 38 batters, including a Bisons' season-high nine against the Red Wings.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news ... p&sid=t422
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby Tribefan24 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:07 pm

maybe, Miller has a better chance

LETS GO TRIBE !
Tribefan24

Unread postby Babrook » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:08 pm

Tribefan24 wrote:maybe, Miller has a better chance

LETS GO TRIBE !

I think Miller has already been confirmed to be coming up later, actually.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:28 pm

I doubt it. Laffey would need to be added to the 40 man roster in order to come up to the majors and be put into the bullpen.

Although I think Laffey should be added to the 40 man after the season, I would want until after the season. Before then you have to make other 40 man roster moves to have space for him.

As for Miller, he is in a similar position (needs to be added to the 40 man) but I could see the Front Office jumping through for Adam.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby ArtGold » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:30 pm

I favor adding neither, as I don't want to start the arbitration and free agency clock yet.

Laffey is really interesting. I am starting to think we may have a major league starter here, which would really be a great surprise.
ArtGold

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:33 am

Laffey would be an extreme longshot to come up at any point this year to work out of the pen, one because is not on the 40-man and two the Indians want to keep him as a starter right now.

I could see Laffey getting called up in Sept when rosters expand and givng him a start or two, as they may want to put him on the 40-man now and see him get a few ML innings in.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby tribefan333 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:07 pm

Wow we have a nice bunch of young southpaw's in the minors (Sowers, Lofgren, Laffey). With Lee, we resign C.C. and wait for these guys we have a very solid collection of lefty's to go along with Westbrook, Carmona, and Byrd.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:20 pm

tribefan333 wrote:Wow we have a nice bunch of young southpaw's in the minors (Sowers, Lofgren, Laffey). With Lee, we resign C.C. and wait for these guys we have a very solid collection of lefty's to go along with Westbrook, Carmona, and Byrd.

and ADAM MILLER!!!!
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby Babrook » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:12 pm

Byrd is on a one year contract, If I remember correctly. I think he's here for one year of mercenary work and then Adam Miller takes his spot next year.

Or maybe Sowers.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:17 pm

FWIW, Byrd has a club option for next yeat a $8M.
consigliere

Unread postby ArtGold » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:59 pm

Back to Laffey, I am a little perplexed as to why when folks speak of the future starters Miller and Lofgren get mentioned but Laffey is overlooked.

He got off to a great start when drafted by the Indians, and has maintained a very good performance as he advances. In four seasons, he is a combined 39 wins with 24 losses, and his performance holds as he moves up. Overall, he has given up less hits than innings pitched and has improved his walk rate and walk to strike out rate as he advances. In fact, his walk to strikeout rate has improved dramatically the past three seasons.

But the best news of all is that he appears to be able to be a ground ball machine, with a GB/FB ratio of 2.55 last season, and 2.64 this year. Combining this with his other statistics, and you have to wonder why folks aren't getting excited. Frankly, he is starting to put up the kind of performance you would see from a top notch starting pitcher prospect, and don't forget he just turned 22 in mid-April.

I think that he could be another "special" pitcher, in terms of a major league starter capable of being a middle of the rotation guy. I think he shows signs of being able to go 200 quality innings a season with 15 wins.

Keep your eye on him, he might be close to the Carmona/Miller/Lofgren potential level.
ArtGold

Unread postby Babrook » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:46 am

ArtGold wrote:But the best news of all is that he appears to be able to be a ground ball machine, with a GB/FB ratio of 2.55 last season, and 2.64 this year.

Thats...close if not better then Carmona's, is it not?
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby ArtGold » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:05 am

Yep, but with more strikeouts at this stage of his career.
ArtGold

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:00 pm

Laffey gets overlooked because he is lumped in with other soft-tossing lefties like Sowers. If he threw in the mid-90s, he'd be the #2 prospect in the system, easily.

I like Laffey a lot, and think he has cemented himself now as one of the Indians top five pitching prospects, probably 3rd behind Miller and Lofgren.
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB