Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Are we OK in the corner OF positions?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Are we OK in the corner OF positions?

Unread postby TribeinLA » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:10 pm

First off, I thought Carl Crawford would look pretty solid playing lf full-time at the Jake. I wish...wish...wish we could gain him and bat him leadoff (he bats 3rd for TB).

Anyway, I am really impressed with Frankie G. He is shoiwng signs of pop, to accompany an already good glove. He, in my opinion, is 90 percent ready. Ben Fransisco - wow - just wow and am I happy for that kid. He looks to be about 50 percent ready...needs to learn what pitches NOT to hit. He's a 5 tool player, though. I think we can keep him up and if DD comes back, then maybe we'll send him back to Buffalo for one more trip. Both of these kids are very promising. The question: Do you want promise or results right now? Does this situation somewhat remind you of when we had Karim Garcia/Alex Ramirez?

With Choo on the DL, it's clear we have three young corners who can come up and play at the drop of a hat. The main issue/concern for me is that we are expecting guys like Gutierrez to pick up the slack from Trot's Nixon's poor bat. Is that fair and is it possible? Do we let Ben maybe ride out the season? All of a sudden, does Grady become a full-time veteran out there?

The way I see it, Shapiro will not try to get a Dye or anyone else before the deadline. We have a producing Jason Michaels, too, who is on a roll and will pound lefties as good as anyone on the team aside from Victor. DD being out...hate to sound insensitive, but he's not making us worse. I think we can "get by" with what we have now.

It sure would be nice to see the Cleveland OF from left to right as Crawford, Sizemore, Dye...with Fransisco and Frankie G to platoon. Obviously, I am dreaming.

Your thoughts on the corner OF? Oh and by the way, we are going to pick it up in July. This interleague crap really worked against us this year, despite being favorable in the past.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby Babrook » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:40 pm

I want Carl too, but Tampa Bay won't give him up.

Learn to deal, you'll get over it like I did :(.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:37 pm

Crawford is not going anywhere. The D-Rays have Baldelli on the DL and Elijah Dukes inactive. They're not going to trade Crawford when they're hurting in the OF right now.

I'd also not bad Crawford in leadoff. His OBP has improved, but it's still poor for a leadoff man in my book. Sizemore's OBP is over 110 points better than his batting average while Crawford's OBP is only about 50 points higher than his average. He's usually got an OBP that's only 30 points or so higher, so there is an improvement but it still would be crummy for a leadoff hitter in my book. I'd rather he hit third in the unlikely event that he ever came here.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby ArtGold » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:36 pm

I think we're good enough to contend, once we make the playoffs it is just a guess who comes through.
ArtGold

Unread postby tribefan333 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:08 pm

LF---Michaels, Dellucci, Francisco, Gutie if need be, Choo
RF---Gutierrez, Nixon, Blake
CF---Some Sizemore guy

I think we're good to go. If Marte starts to show some major improvement or we give Ash Cabrera a try we could move Blake back to RF. For now, we're pretty good to go.

Now I don't have any trade ideas what-so-ever. We have Garko, Marte, Shoppach, Sowers who can all be taken out for equal talent and have some major league playing time...so what do we want? Something we can't get....a corner infielder who can hit .300 with 30+++ HR a year and a solid glove. Or we get a Betancourt level relief pitcher.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby ArtGold » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:01 pm

The closest thing to a possibly available 30 HR possibility with a decent BA from a non contending team is Xavier Nady, Pittsburgh. He seems to be getting consistent as a 20-25 HR guy with a .270-.280 BA, with only about a 5-7% walk rate. He hits lefties well, and holds his own against righties.

Based on his making a little over $2 million this year, and having Boras for and agent, the Pirates may be willing to deal him for not that much, especially if a little cash comes their way. I don't know if he is much of an upgrade from Francisco or Gutierrez if they would give them a chance, but I think he is MUCH BETTER than Nixon.

The guy I really would like us to get is reliever Royce Ring of the Padres. He can be a pretty effective LOOGY who can stay in against a right handed hitter here and there.

Both these guys should be pretty cheap to acquire, and I think they would help solidify the roster. I would trade Nixon with one million and a prospect like Sean Smith/Juan Lara/Brian Slocum for Nady. I would see if Brad Snyder and Ryan Mulhern could get me Ring.
ArtGold

Unread postby jb » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:16 am

Not nearly enough power.

Not by long shot.

Better than Trot Nixon, but so is a Virginia ham.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB