Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Big Kahuna Says "Quit Your Complaining"

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Big Kahuna Says "Quit Your Complaining"

Unread postby Hoover » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:18 pm

Cleveland Rants co-host Kendall Lewis says, "They're in first place now, what more can Eric Wedge do?"

"Just enjoy the Tribe and quit whining."

Do you agree or disagree?
Hoover

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:28 pm

I'm not big on the BSK, and I'm really not big on Eric Wedge, but at 15 over and right where we want to be, how can I not agree?
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:31 pm

I think he's right that you're missing a fun team to root for if you are dwelling on its shortcomings.

I think he's wrong if he's asking us to ignore that the team has shortcomings.

I think part of being a fan is to make theoratical suggestions about how it could improve. I think this team has more character and strength than last year's model and is thus more fun to root for. I think there's a balance to be struck between Mindless Homerism and Sour Defeatism. I think that most people here can tell the difference and use one of the other more for dramatic effect than serious discussion. The serious discussion tends to come from the Middle Ground. It's possible to love the team, appreciate its success, and wish it was more consistently excellent.

Ultimately, I don't really understand what he's talking about, but I rarely do with Lewis, so I shake it off.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:54 pm

Overall this year has been really fun. Handfulls of come-from-behind victories, a few shutouts, some exciting saves...and this team has been something else at home. There are some frustrating moments (coughNationalscough) but overall it's been a very nice season to watch, from a fan's perspective.

But with that said, this team certainly does have it's holes. Corner outfielders have been a problem, and the bullpen has been shaky at best. But Fausto and CC have been great, Byrd has been solid, and Lee/Westbrook have been up and down (but both have had some really nice starts). Neither Hafner nor Sizemore have really taken off yet, so when they do, watch out.

This team is still a trade or two from really making me comfortable with our chances, but it's close. And really, at the end of the year you just want a chance. Yeah, it would be nice to win the division by 20 games and take the drama out of it by September 1, but...really, that doesn't happen very often.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:29 am

I hate to sound sophmoric, but, Kendall Lewis is a total stiff.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:33 am

Steve Buffum wrote:I think he's right that you're missing a fun team to root for if you are dwelling on its shortcomings.

I think he's wrong if he's asking us to ignore that the team has shortcomings.

I think part of being a fan is to make theoratical suggestions about how it could improve. I think this team has more character and strength than last year's model and is thus more fun to root for. I think there's a balance to be struck between Mindless Homerism and Sour Defeatism. I think that most people here can tell the difference and use one of the other more for dramatic effect than serious discussion. The serious discussion tends to come from the Middle Ground. It's possible to love the team, appreciate its success, and wish it was more consistently excellent.

Ultimately, I don't really understand what he's talking about, but I rarely do with Lewis, so I shake it off.

Rack the hell outta that take Buff, I could not agree more.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:07 am

A few years back, when he and Brinda were making Cleveland sports talk radio listeners either A. Cringe or B. Turn the channel, I called up and the guy says "Would you like to talk to Greg & Kendall?" And I replied (In a nice tone, because it's not this cat's fault) "Umm, not really, and I'm not sure if Kendall is aware, but there ain't more than 5 people in the city that care about his video game play, so why does he keep droning on about it?" The guy gives me a cocky, "Well, I think your wrong." I say, " Well, I think the ratings say I'm right." "Your wrong." So than I say, "how bout having him sing the Ohio State Fight song for the thousanth time, that's REALLY funny." CLICK
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby livinthesportslife » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:38 pm

Wedgie is not the greatest manager in the world, but doesn't he have to be doing something right to have the team in first place right now? Something he does resonates in that clubhouse and the guys are inspired behind him, which is something you don't see with every team. So, while his in-game managerial skills may be lacking in some areas, his players seem to like him and they will stop at nothing to win for him. I'm happy with a manager that puts a fire in his team.
livinthesportslife

Unread postby Hoover » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:54 pm

livinthesportslife wrote:Wedgie is not the greatest manager in the world, but doesn't he have to be doing something right to have the team in first place right now? Something he does resonates in that clubhouse and the guys are inspired behind him, which is something you don't see with every team. So, while his in-game managerial skills may be lacking in some areas, his players seem to like him and they will stop at nothing to win for him. I'm happy with a manager that puts a fire in his team.

There wasn't any fire in this team last year, so I doubt if it's Wedge's doing. It's more likely coming from team chemistry and all the comebacks.

Why give Wedge props when they haven't won anything? If at the end of the year we get into the playoffs and win the first round, then Wedge deserves credit. But until that happens, he doesn't deserve alot of praise.
Hoover

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB