Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Gutie a power hitter?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Gutie a power hitter?

Unread postby tribefan333 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:25 pm

Just something interesting...

Franklin has 4 HR in 55 at-bats...That's one home run every 13.75 AB's.

Now a typical everyday Right fielder will see about 600 AB's a year depending on injuries....

If he kept on this pace that would be 43 homeruns....Not bad!

Very futile stat but just something to look at.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:40 pm

Originally it was thought that Gutierrez would develop into a 30HR+ guy, but the power never really showed up. He had a season in A-ball where he hit 20 but hadn't shown that power since. His elbow (I think) injury made people think that the power wouldn't develop.

I don't think he'll get into that 30 HR range and I don't think he'll consistently be a 20 HR guy, but he has done well in his brief stint here. He only hit 4 HRs in 129 ABs in Buffalo, so he has been on a hot streak in C-Town. Now he just needs to hit righties, something he did well in Buffalo.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:20 pm

Gutierrez has the power potential to hit 25-30 HRs, but as Mac mentioned, since he hurt his elbow I think in 2004, the power has been muted. Maybe it is starting to come back.

I really think Gutierrez is showcasing himself for a trade, and I would be very surprised if he is not shipped out as part of a package to get a backend bullpen arm or another bat.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:23 pm

The good thing about that ^^^^(shopping) is that by just playing him in right statistically we are far better off than having Nixon out there. If you were to say which direction each is heading they would be Gute-north and Trot-south.
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby ArtGold » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:19 pm

I agree that he is being showcased, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stays with us the remainder of the season.

Regarding his power potential, I remember the Juan Gonzalez comps when we acquired him. Looking at him, he is not nearly as big as Juan, he appears to be more of a slashing type of hitter. Batting wise, I see him as having more of a 20 HR potential, with a very good batting average and decent walk rate. Quantifying this, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit .280-.300 with a 10% AB/BB rate.

Who do you see as a trade match, who needs an OF and has relievers to trade?
ArtGold

Unread postby Jerry Warriner » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:56 pm

Gutz is listed as 180# and if that's so, then he must have been south of 160 when he came through Erie with the Aero's right after we acquired him. He's not done muscling up and I hope we have some patience with him.
Jerry Warriner

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:26 pm

Gutierrez just turned 24 before the season started, so he could still develop more. They might be showcasing him, but if he performs well enough the org might decide to keep him. He can play every position in the outfield and has a cannon arm, making him a great fit in RF. If the power shows up this year he becomes a viable longterm starter.

Be nice if they'd give Francisco more time in LF. His historic splits show that he hits righties better than lefties. Francisco's only year where this wasn't that case was last season. He looks like the perfect platoon partner to Michaels, a guy who has shown he can hit lefties and do an average job against righties.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:21 am

I think Gutierrez would really fit in well in the national league. Can probably be an everyday center fielder for a team not in contention, or a quality 4th OFer for a team in contention. I think he and maybe another prospect could be moved to a team like Pittsburgh (or anyone else selling) for a reliever.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby drewd » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:03 am

something cool about Franklin Gutierrez is that him and Alfonso Soriano have about the same batting stance. thou that doesnt have anything to do about Gutierrez power but i thought it was cool.
drewd
Unrealistic Trade Guy

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:11 am

Before we go trading people, maybe we should see how they do in our uniform.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby psk678 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:11 am

drewd wrote:something cool about Franklin Gutierrez is that him and Alfonso Soriano have about the same batting stance. thou that doesnt have anything to do about Gutierrez power but i thought it was cool.

Yeah that really has nothing to do with his power.

If for some reason though, his stance makes him hit like Soriano, well then I would be very happy.
psk678

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB