Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Gagne Doesn't Want To Come Here

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Gagne Doesn't Want To Come Here

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:42 am

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

Texas Rangers Updated:06/18/2007

Texas reliever Eric Gagne has submitted a list of 12 teams that he can be traded to, and it is believed that the Tigers, Indians and Phillies are not on the list, as reported by the Detroit Free Press.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby livinthesportslife » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:44 am

Well fine, we don't want him anyway. He's way too much of a health risk to be worth anything. Even with the great conditioning and trainers that this team has, Gagne still wouldn't be worth it to me.
livinthesportslife

Unread postby intenso » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:36 am

I'd like to get Otsuka from the Rangers.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:22 am

intenso wrote:I'd like to get Otsuka from the Rangers.

The key is whether you can get a closer relatively cheap. There's a tendency to overpay and overvalue established closers. I like how the A's deal with the closer situations. Guys like Isringhausen and Street do a nice job for them until they become too expensive to hold onto. At that point they'll get rid of them. Street is approaching that time (provided he gets healthy sometime).

With that in mind I think you have to look inside the organization and see if you can find that guy. Is Betancourt ready? Miller? I can see renting one for the remainder of the season given Borowski's tight rope act every time out but I don't want to see them overpay for someone.

If you have to look outside the organization I think a guy like Lidge might be the answer. The deposed closer who had his well publicized struggles that may lower his value a bit but who dominated once and could again. And like I've said before, he hasn't pitched in the AL yet in his career which also has a bit of value in itself. One other problem is I think you have to include Borowski in any deal because I don't see him having a great deal of value as a set up guy to the Indians. He'd be sitting here as the guy who lost that job despite a big number of saves. At least if he went somewhere else he could still aspire to the closer role with another club.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby intenso » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:29 am

Peeker643 wrote:
intenso wrote:I'd like to get Otsuka from the Rangers.

The key is whether you can get a closer relatively cheap. There's a tendency to overpay and overvalue established closers. I like how the A's deal with the closer situations. Guys like Isringhausen and Street do a nice job for them until they become too expensive to hold onto. At that point they'll get rid of them. Street is approaching that time (provided he gets healthy sometime).

With that in mind I think you have to look inside the organization and see if you can find that guy. Is Betancourt ready? Miller? I can see renting one for the remainder of the season given Borowski's tight rope act every time out but I don't want to see them overpay for someone.

If you have to look outside the organization I think a guy like Lidge might be the answer. The deposed closer who had his well publicized struggles that may lower his value a bit but who dominated once and could again. And like I've said before, he hasn't pitched in the AL yet in his career which also has a bit of value in itself. One other problem is I think you have to include Borowski in any deal because I don't see him having a great deal of value as a set up guy to the Indians. He'd be sitting here as the guy who lost that job despite a big number of saves. At least if he went somewhere else he could still aspire to the closer role with another club.

I'm fine with Borowski as the closer, really. I'm thinking Aki in the same role is in right now in Texas.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:53 pm

If they have a chance to fix the Dam before it breaks they should do so. To assume Borowski is going to be an asset down the stretch is very optimistic. Not only is he over 6 ERA, the guy is LUCKY to be there. Rockets to the track, diving catches etc. That guy ain't fooling ANYONE.

To peeker's point of not over paying, I agree, but if the opportunity presented itself, you'd be foolish not to.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby intenso » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:38 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:If they have a chance to fix the Dam before it breaks they should do so. To assume Borowski is going to be an asset down the stretch is very optimistic. Not only is he over 6 ERA, the guy is LUCKY to be there. Rockets to the track, diving catches etc. That guy ain't fooling ANYONE.

To peeker's point of not over paying, I agree, but if the opportunity presented itself, you'd be foolish not to.

Borowski is not the best closer in the league. But ERA is a completely irrelevant stat when we are talking about 29 innings. If you discard 2/3 of an inning against the Yankees back in April, his ERA drops around two full runs.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby Hoover » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:45 pm

It's going to be pretty tough to pry Otsuka away from the Rangers. Like Jason Stark said yesterday on On All Bets Are Off, there's a dozen teams that want Otsuka or other good relievers. It's going to be costly for the Tribe to get him.
Hoover

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:06 pm

So long as we are asking about the cost and doing the due dilligence.

Would I ship Adam Miller or CC to Texas in a 1 for 1 trade? - Nope!
Would I ship a mixed bag of prospects and major league players? - Maybe.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby pod2dawg » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:26 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:If they have a chance to fix the Dam before it breaks they should do so. To assume Borowski is going to be an asset down the stretch is very optimistic. Not only is he over 6 ERA, the guy is LUCKY to be there. Rockets to the track, diving catches etc. That guy ain't fooling ANYONE.

Hey, I hope Joe's fastball ^ 4-5 mph; slider's quit hanging; change up changes more....but we are so damn close. There are few "drop dead" stoppers and not to annoint Lidge or Osuka but go for one and let the competition begin. We all win.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:34 pm

intenso wrote:

Borowski is not the best closer in the league. But ERA is a completely irrelevant stat when we are talking about 29 innings. If you discard 2/3 of an inning against the Yankees back in April, his ERA drops around two full runs.

If you are watching a guy you feel is effective and going to stay that way, stats aside, well, we're not watching the same guy.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby intenso » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:40 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:
intenso wrote:

If you are watching a guy you feel is effective and going to stay that way, stats aside, well, we're not watching the same guy.

Not saying he's terribly effective. I don't mind him as the closer because I think the importance of the closer is overrated.

My main point was ERA doesn't matter.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby ArtGold » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:27 am

I like getting undervalued players, who are a better fit for our ball club. With that thinking, I would like to obtain Royce Ring from the Padres, who could use some batting help. I would be willing to trade Ben Francisco/Brad Snyder and Joe Inglett/Hector Luna to obtain him. San Diego has a unique ballpark for the NL, and those players may be of some interest to the Padres.

I view this as a deal which could help both clubs, with Ring being a significant lefty reliever for us.

BTW - if they would be agreeable to this, I would add Marte for Kouzmanoff.
ArtGold

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB