Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

"On The Road" in the minors

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

"On The Road" in the minors

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:43 pm

Okay, I'm doing an "On The Road" piece starting next weekend where from July 6-13 in the span of eight days I am hitting four Indians affiliates in Buffalo, Akron, Lake County and Mahoning Valley. It will be a four-part series, with each stop one part of the overall piece.

I also will be in Winter Haven the last two weekend in July to see the GCL team, and have a separate piece planned for that.....and the only affiliate I am missing is Kinston for logistics reasons, but plan on making a trip out there the last weekend of August or for the playoffs in September if the games fall on the weekend.

Anyway, the purpose for this post is that I am in the process of finalizing things with each affiliate and will be setting up interviews. I plan to be in the dugouts before each game taking in batting practice, although this has only been approved by Akron so far. I will try and talk to a few players as well, and I will be shooting some video and taking pics.

I have a lot of ideas floating around in my head, but wanted others to maybe chime in with ideas on players to focus on or other things you were curious about I can ask or lookout for. Reply here, PM me, or email me at tlastoria@swerbsblurbs.com
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:02 pm

Ok, I'm setup now with Akron and Mahoning Valley. Awaiting word from Buffalo and Lake County.

Again, anyone has any suggestions, feel free to email at the address above.
consigliere

Unread postby ArtGold » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:17 pm

For Akron I would like to know anything about Scott Lewis, what he has been working on this year and where he is attempting to improve as a pitcher. What about Reid Santos, what does he throw and how would he fit if he made it to the majors (starter, long man, closer)? I would like to know how Jordan Brown has altered his approach from last year resulting in the higher contact rate and batting average at the expense of power, and is he doing something to bring back the power? For A Cabrera, my questions are about what he is working on defensively, and how he fits in the infield long term (short stop, 2nd or 3rd).

Can't come up with anything of interest for Mahoning Valley, I expect laudatory statements about Ryan Mills, true or not.
Last edited by ArtGold on Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtGold

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:23 pm

Might want to be sure you have a car down here in late July, Tony. They usually don't really get rolling until mid-August, but there's always the possibility of a hurricane at that time. Just be prepared. Winter Haven's not too bad, but Lake Wales several miles south of there got hammered a few years ago. Winter Haven got hit too - that's why there's a ride at Cypress Gardens called the Triple Hurricane. Three hurricanes went over Winter Haven back in '04.

Chances are it'll be fin, but I'd recommend that anyone who comes down here in the summer to be sure they make plans just in case.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:52 am

Art, thanks. I'll keep those questions in mind if I get a chance to talk to any of those players. I'll have 1-2 setup in advance, but am hoping I can grab a few for a comment of two as well. Also, talk with some scouts in attendance. Lots of ideas here, but getting it all to happen is another. I'll keep everyone abreast of what comes up as it gets closer.

And Mac, yeah, I'm well aware of the storm activity.....although that is more in August really. We go down to FLorida just south of Clearwater every year the last of July and stay on our family condos on the gulf for a week with all our family. This year, since we are flying in, we decided to fly in a day early into Orlando and leave a few days later so I can go to WH those two weekends. We'll have a rental car, and also we have a great setup as my wife's grandmother has a condo in WH we stay at. The fields are literally 5 minutes from the condo.
consigliere

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:13 am

T, how bout kickin Trevor Crowe in the ass?

Although I did see he banged out 4 hits last night.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:18 am

Yeah, Trevor FINALLY over the .200 mark. First time I think since the first week of the season. Maybe finally getting over that mark will get him going.

I still believe he'll have a good finish to his season and sort of save his prospect status....although it has lost some luster.

Akron has quite a few interesting players to see on the mound, in the field, and at the plate.
consigliere

Unread postby intenso » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:28 am

Any thoughts on Scott Roehl who just got moved to Akron?
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:00 pm

Tony,

If you get the chance I would be interested in hearing from guys like Dittler, Warden and Goleski (etc) on how they feel being part of the organization after being removed from the 40 man or being reclaimed after the Rule 5 draft.

Granted baseball is a business and job in some aspects and each of us would react differently after setbacks in our own jobs, I am curious on how they looked at their own setbacks and how they are dealing with and overcoming those setbacks.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:20 pm

Just a reminder, please feel free to provide any questions you may want to ask the players. I am hooked up and ready to catch BP/infield for Lake County, Akron and Mahoning Valley, and in the dugout up until gametime and the clubhouses after gametime.

And Swerb, let me know if you are coming to any of these games and I'll be sure to have credentials waiting for you too.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:27 pm

I'm up at Mahoning Valley tonight, taking in the game from the press box....bottom of the 7th inning 4-1 Scrappers.

Anyway, got some good audio from Mike Eisenberg, Todd Martin, Mark Thompson, and radio guy Mike Pilch. I will put this all in an article...unsure how yet....but I'll share the info and comments from them in some articles this week.

Also, I took some pics and a lot of video which I will share as well.

I'm heading to Akron tomorrow, so will definitely be busy. If anyone has any suggestions of players to pull aside and some questions to ask, feel free to let me know.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:10 am

Some updates from Akron tonight:

Sipp is going in for more tests....not good. More on this soon, and Stephanie Storm will probably write about it in tomorrow's piece.

According to Bogar, JD Martin has been shutdown again in EST, no ETA when he will be back in Akron, but looks like awhile.

Max Ramirez likely plays the rest of the year in Kinston.

Wyatt Toregas is coming back slowly, but right now they do not plan to DL him. They'll see how he is when they get back from the break. He will not play in the All-Star game, but will still go because he deserves to be there.

Jordan Brown was hit below the knee tonight, he likely will be fine, but Bogar did mention they will see how he is when they come back on Thursday.

Aubrey is fine, got 9 stitches in his lip and almost had three teeth knocked out in a collision the other night. I believe this was the game where in another thread he was "carried off the field." He is fine. Ran okay, but you can clearly see him favoring his left leg when he runs. In the clubhouse afterwards his left leg was wrapped completely in ice.
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB