Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Nixon- Pie Tossing Clown (Also team Catalyst)!

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Nixon- Pie Tossing Clown (Also team Catalyst)!

Unread postby Babrook » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:00 am

Trot Nixon is a 'veteran leader'. If that means a sub-par player that is a fun guy who knows his way around a lemon merengue, then yes, he is.

His weaknesses have been stated in numerous other threads, but you all seem to play down the true power that Nixon has. I contribute our success this year not to Vmart's pwnage, CC and Fausto's 'LOL U KANT HIT UZZZZZ' syndrome, any fool knows that it's the fact that whoever STO decides to interview, or whatever poor sap that was last off the field, gets tasty cream in the face.

This motivation to be the game's hero, get interviewed, and pie'd, is greater motivation then winning the World Series. A ring is a ring, rings are metal and metal pretty much tastes like shit. But pie is pie. Pie is good and all athletes love pie. The more pie, the more wins. The more wins, the less losses. In the end, we win the World Series and get some shitty tasting rings. But I'm sure there will be pie.

Without Nixon and his pie tossing shenanigans, I would expect we would have a White Sox-ish record, with perhaps 1 or 2 more losses. And 1 or 2 less wins.

I think that we should resign Nixon RIGHT NOW. 5+ years, 50+ Million, and give him a player option. Hell, we need to pick up TWO of these clowns-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fozzie_Bear

The JEWEL of 2008 Free Agency Market. Just like Nixon, but I think Fozzie can hit better.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby lovsgrady » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:42 pm

Personally, even though Nixon hasn't offensively played well, and is okay in the defensive area, I am still glad that we got him. I think, just like Hafner, his bat went on vacation is was a lay away or something. I still see him coming back. I like Nixon because of the pie antics. It is so funny to watch, and we needed a vet, besides DD and Oldberto, and he has brought life into our clubhouse. Victor has fun, but the pies have really opened everyone up, and brought fun to both the players and the fans. If we hadn't gotten him, I think we wouldn't be having as much fun. He ride the bench for us as long as he keeps the life upin us. a minor would be good, but this kind've fun is what cleveland. There is more to this game than just hitting, there has to be characters too, and who doesn't like seeing someone get a pie in the face. Does anyone know who hit CC after the A's game. I was in Florida without internet and missed it?
Why so serious
lovsgrady
Future Mrs. Sizemore

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:00 pm

Trot's a tough, gritty guy. He's played with championship teams. He undoubtedly is a good influence in the clubhouse. And I really want to like him.

But his bat just won't let me.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:19 pm

I think it's time for everybody to shut up about Nixon. If you want to criticize him for something, it's that he stayed one year too long. But can you blame him for not walking away from the game he loves and $3 million? Would you do it?

The guy is trying his best to get it back, but the hard fact is that his OPS has declined five years in a row and there's nothing he can do about it. I felt sorry for him last night watching him wave helplessly at Haren's pitches. He's on the team to hit right-handed pitching and he struck out three times against right-handers last night.

He could pouting about it but he doesn't want to drag the team down, so he's doing the pie thing. The guy has been the consummate pro his entire career, so let's give him a break. If you need to vent your frustrations from watching him play, start with the guy that signed him.

I was watching the game on Extra Innings Monday night and they had the Oakland feed. One of their announcers said that the scouting report on Nixon is that he's hitting .050 on breaking balls. Sure enough, he struck out three times last night, all on low breaking balls.

The real question with Trot is how long Wedge is going to keep starting him against right-handers. And if he doesn't start, he's wasting a roster spot because he can't pinch run, play another position, or be a late inning defensive replacement. At this point all he has is his bat, and it looks like he doesn't even have that anymore.

Nixon hit .286 in April, .263 in May, and .148 in June. How long can Wedge keep playing him?

I'm wondering if his eyesight is OK. He's hitting .317 in day games; .204 at night. He's drawn 13 walks in only 63 AB's in day games, and 17 walks in 142 AB's at night, which makes me think he's seeing the ball a lot better during the day. Or it could be that we had more day games in April and that's when he was hitting better.

As for situational stats, what jumped out at me is that he's hitting only .091 after getting ahead 2-0 in the count. That is amazing, because the advantage swings to the hitter in that situation. Nixon is hitting .143 when he hits a 3-1 pitch. I think those numbers are extremely significant, because they show that even when Trot is in a great hitter's count he can't take advantage. He's also hitting .188 with two out and RISP. He's been a real rally killer.

He's coming off surgery so the expectation was that he might get off to a slow start. But it's been the opposite. With the Indians having difficulty scoring lately, I don't know how long Wedge can keep Nixon in the lineup.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Babrook » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:25 pm

CC got hit? (Oh...you mean with pie, Nixon did it. It's always Nixon except for that one time Grady did it.)

Yes, Nixon is sufficient defensively, but have you seen some of the plays Guit has made out there?

I like him as a person. Nice guy, veteran, obviously loves the game, pies people, but he just can't hit. And yes, you're right, we shouldn't be venting on him, but on Shapiro.

I think he should stay on the team. He's a nice guy to have on the bench and in the clubhouse. I just think Guit would be better starting every day.
Last edited by Babrook on Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:45 pm

HermanFontenot wrote:Trot's a tough, gritty guy. He's played with championship teams. He undoubtedly is a good influence in the clubhouse. And I really want to like him.

Rack that. I couldn't agree more.

I liked Trot as a member of Boston, and I hate the Red Sox. I hated the Delucci signing, but was happy we inked Nixon.

I just wish God would interject and pump another 4 months of life into this guys lumber and legs.

Cause I wanna like the guy.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Hoover » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:54 pm

The Pie Tossing Clown finally homers with the Tribe up 8-0.

Before that he was hitting .240 with .224 RISP. He'd been stuck on 2 homers since St. Swivven's Day.

Nice game today, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he's still a fungus.
Hoover

Unread postby tribefan333 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:30 pm

Swerb wrote:
HermanFontenot wrote:Trot's a tough, gritty guy. He's played with championship teams. He undoubtedly is a good influence in the clubhouse. And I really want to like him.

Rack that. I couldn't agree more.

I liked Trot as a member of Boston, and I hate the Red Sox. I hated the Delucci signing, but was happy we inked Nixon.

I just wish God would interject and pump another 4 months of life into this guys lumber and legs.

Cause I wanna like the guy.

Exactly. Even though I'd like to see Gutie become the "RFer of tomorrow" today, you can't help but root for a player who hustles and just plays day in and day out when he's asked like Nixon.

Plus he's #33....
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby lovsgrady » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:34 pm

right now there are three players who earned a free pass for me to not complain about them this year for the things they have done this season.

Paul Byrd: pitching well, giving Shoppach the chance to start, and when Jake went down, he was the only guy to volunteer to go into the game.
David Dellucci: He stood up for Barfield that one game. Not many of our guys might do that.
Trot Nixon: his pie antics. How much fun would our club be having if he wasn't there. They are looser, and having more fun.

GO TRIBE!
Why so serious
lovsgrady
Future Mrs. Sizemore

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:45 pm

I think it's time for everybody to shut up about Nixon. If you want to criticize him for something, it's that he stayed one year too long. But can you blame him for not walking away from the game he loves and $3 million? Would you do it?

The guy is trying his best to get it back, but the hard fact is that his OPS has declined five years in a row and there's nothing he can do about it. I felt sorry for him last night watching him wave helplessly at Haren's pitches. He's on the team to hit right-handed pitching and he struck out three times against right-handers last night.

He could pouting about it but he doesn't want to drag the team down, so he's doing the pie thing. The guy has been the consummate pro his entire career, so let's give him a break. If you need to vent your frustrations from watching him play, start with the guy that signed him.

Who the hell is blaming Nixon? The guy is gassed and someone was stupid enough to throw $3m and unlimited cool whip at him.

He stinks. His bat is slow, his feet are slow and he's got nothing left for 162 games.

I'd prefer he was gone. I'd prefer he and Dellucci were never signed. Ain't their fault but it doesn't mean because Shapiro was enough of an idiot to pay them that I'm enough of an idiot to like them for pies and standing up for Barfield.

You gotta be kidding me.

Anyone backing up for a guy on the roster for his whipped cream antics and "giving a pass" to another guy for actually standing up for himself or a teammate are the ones that need to shut the hell up.

Give me an a-hole like Gary Sheffield who really lacks as a cut-up and blows with a pie but who can actually help a club on the field. That's the kind of falling down, rolling in the aisles fun I'd like to have.

For the $10million you have invested in the other clowns running around out there you could have a bat like that instead.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

very dissappointed in Nixon

Unread postby berardinelli » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:55 pm

Took the grandkids to an Indians game and sat in the bleechers. Grady chased, in vain, a line drive to the right center field wall. It hit the bottom of the wall and bounced hard past him as he tried to catch it. Nixon liesurly trotted over to back up Grady. Grady recovered chased down the ball and the runner got a tripple. Nixon definitey loafed on that play and did not do his job. I could not believe you can earn 3 million for that kind of performance. Of course, Wedge brought him right out there the next inning and next day. Oh, yeah, his presence in the clubhouse is so inspiring.
berardinelli

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:35 pm

I don't remember that specific play, and I'm not saying Nixon doesn't give what he's got (though I have no reason to doubt what you saw). What I'm saying is that what Nixon has got at this stage isn't enough even when he is going hard.

And bubble gum on the cap or a pie in the face just doesn't cut it. Not when there are guys out there who can offer something in the clubhouse and more on the field. And there are guys out there who provide both.

Hey, maybe he's a guy who, if you get to the post season, gets a couple big hits and clutches up. Not saying that can't or won't happen. I'm saying that watching him along the way clearly indicates he's not capable of playing out there with any regularity.

The guy has been in the league 10 years and he has one ring. That tells me that 9 other teams that didn't employ Trot Nixon during that period of time had enough clubhouse presence without him to win the whole thing.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:46 pm

Would the Tribe have made the world series if Alvaro Espinoza wasn't putting those....hhhhiiiilllllaaaaarrrriiiooouuussss bubbles on top of guys hats in the nineties.? Oh, yea...I guess they would have.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Babrook » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:37 pm

Peeker643 wrote:

Anyone backing up for a guy on the roster for his whipped cream antics and "giving a pass" to another guy for actually standing up for himself or a teammate are the ones that need to shut the hell up.

I'm trying to be funny. I hate Nixon.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:00 pm

My apologies. There are people on this board who actually believe the pie thing exceeds the value of actually playing reasonably well.

Like I said, I don't hate Nixon. I just think he gives you less than nothing on the field and all the redi-whip in the world ain't changing or making up for that.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby tribefan333 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:26 pm

Nixon on the club=good
Nixon playing everyday or even half the time=bad.

He's a great influence in the clubhouse but his bat just isn't there anymore.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby lovsgrady » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:30 pm

tribefan333 wrote:Nixon on the club=good
Nixon playing everyday or even half the time=bad.

He's a great influence in the clubhouse but his bat just isn't there anymore.

totally agree
:roll :roll:
Why so serious
lovsgrady
Future Mrs. Sizemore

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB