Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Yo, T, what's all this mean

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Yo, T, what's all this mean

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:29 pm

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_detail.php?id=1925

Are the 19th rounders ripping the cover off the ball the next Mike Piazza stories or ar ethey a developmental year or two above their competition?

I know some were split on Trevor Crowe in the past as far as his celing.

Is Matt Whitney back and can he get back to being to Hafner what Adam Miller is to CC ?

You gave me the lowdown, now I need context. How bout it from T and some of the minor league savants areound here? Tell me what this piece means.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Yo, T, what's all this mean

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:28 pm

JB wrote:http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_detail.php?id=1925

Are the 19th rounders ripping the cover off the ball the next Mike Piazza stories or ar ethey a developmental year or two above their competition?

Is Matt Whitney back and can he get back to being to Hafner what Adam Miller is to CC ?

You gave me the lowdown, now I need context. How bout it from T and some of the minor league savants areound here? Tell me what this piece means.

I've watched Matt Whitney at Lake County for what seems like the last 5 years. Wait...... it has been for pretty much the last 5 years. I realize the guy tore up his knee a few springs back but he simply doesn't impress me at all. The bat speed is lacking and there is no defensive upside at all at 1b or 3b. I attribute the fact that the guy is hitting well in Lake County this season more to the fact that he's been there for 1,000 ABs and has become a quality Low A hitter.

Crowe, on the other hand, showed very good bat speed. The ball sounded different coming off his bat. So maybe he's not on the fast track any longer and like T said, he needs to step back and get to hittin', but he's a far better prospect than Whitney who will die at Akron or below. And he may die that high simply because he was a #1 pick.

Whitney and Chris De La Cruz should have bought homes in Eastlake.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Dozen » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:46 pm

Nice to see ya Peeker, dont be floored when you come across some decent posts without fathead throwing his nonsense around. :lol:
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Re: Yo, T, what's all this mean

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:57 pm

JB wrote:http://www.theclevelandfan.com/article_detail.php?id=1925

I think it just continues to show the Indians have better luck it seems with finding those diamonds in the rough in the later rounds of the draft.

I think Van Every could very well play into things very soon, and his versatility, excellent defense and pop in hsi bat may make him attractive in a trade. Or, if the Indians feel a need for a LH outfield bat and CHoo and Dellucci can't come back at all, Van Every may get some time here in September or even sooner. The K-rate is very Branyan-esque, so he scare me there.

Crowe? I have not given up on him. I have a good feeling that he'll turn things around in the second half, and I still contend that a move down to Kinston may help him. I think "starting over" with a new batting average and stats may be a psychological boost he needs. He gets a few early hits there at Kinston, and he strides to the plate hitting .280-.330 instead of .190 at Akron. He is putting up quality at bats still, just not finding holes. It isn't like his k-rate has spiked, and he is still getting a fair amount of walks, especially for someone hitting .190. It isn't physical with him, it is all mental.

Goleski? I still believe he is suffering from a hangover from being sent back to the Indians after not making the A's roster in ST. He was upset, and made some pretty strong comments about having to come back. Combine that with his wrist possibly still being injured, and it is no wonder he has gotten off to such a poor start. As noted, he has started to turn it up in June. I haven't had a chance to see him play yet this year, but will in the next two weeks. I haven't given up on him either.

Overall though, I think there have been minimal disappointments in the system. Yeah, Lofgren has had some troubles from time to time this year, but other times has been dominant. Miller had been out for 45 days before returning last night.

In regard to the surprised, I should note I still don't expect much from Goedert, Whitney, Gimenez, Herrmann and Van Every. These guys are all, to me, bench players at best at the next level. I think Whitney's window passed a long time ago, Van Every will make a nice 4th outfielder, Gimenez is a Casey Blake clone in the making, and Herrmann may be a quality #4/#5 starter. The only one I think could make himself into a ML starter is Goedert. But, I am still skeptical on him. I need to see how he finishes this season, and also part of next year before I jump on his bandwagon. Physically, he is nothing much.....and defensively is average. I still wonder if he just ran into a few home runs during a hot 2-month start. Happens more than we think.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:08 pm

Dozen wrote:Nice to see ya Peeker, dont be floored when you come across some decent posts without fathead throwing his nonsense around. :lol:

I ain't gonna lie. It's odd seeing some people with some actual knowledge and the ability to string together a coherent sentence or two.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Dozen » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:11 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Dozen wrote:Nice to see ya Peeker, dont be floored when you come across some decent posts without fathead throwing his nonsense around. :lol:

I ain't gonna lie. It's odd seeing some people with some actual knowledge and the ability to string together a coherent sentence or two.

This is the reason I told Lead and yourself about this site :mrgreen:
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:06 am

Tony,

Is it me or does Mulhern look similar to Garko at 1B? There seems to be some drop off there, but I'm just wondering how much?

I just ask because I could see Garko being a piece in a trade. My dream would be taking a shot at Teixeira if he returns healthy after the All-Star break. I'd guess Garko would be a piece of any trade there, though there are other trades I'm sure he could be involved with.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:24 am

I'm not sure how much value Garko has in a trade. He definitely has some value....but I am not sure what he'd bring in return. He'd probably be part of a player package to get X player.

As for Mulhern, I've always been a fan of his. He is on the ML doorstep and is having a good season in Buffalo.....it will be interesting to see what the Indians do with him. He may be a little green still to help us this year, but there is definitely a glut of 1B in the upper levels with Garko, Mulhern, Brown, and Aubrey. One or more could be sent packing in a trade soon.
consigliere

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:32 pm

Aubrey has a decent power projection if he can ever stay healthy. He's not getting much time at 1B with Brown and Mulhern.

The most promising power prospect for us at 1B right now appears to be Whitney, if he can stay healthy. He's on pace to hit 30 in Low-A. I hope the Tribe plans on moving him up to Kinston. If all goes well then I'd guess he's a guy we could look for in 2009.

Brown seems a bit underpowered. I think Mulhern and Garko can output 20 HRs a season at the least. Aubrey might be able to do 30. Brown seems like a 10-15 HR guy.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby ArtGold » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:56 pm

I have to disagree on Mulhern, I bet he is a Josh Phelps type at the major league level, and never making it to the status of a regular starter. I say this because of two things, his power and BA inconsistency and the complete failure to improve his BB/K ratio as he has moved through the minors, even this season. My bet is he would be no more than a "flash in the pan" for a few weeks in the majors, at best.

Goedert and Gimenez have a chance to be special, but they need to finish the year without a substantial falloff and confirm with a growing performance next season.

Gimenez is really interesting, that BB/AB and BB/K ratio, and considering he is doing it with great power at Kinston, is really an encouraging development. Historically, he has a very high HBP rate, but I haven't seen if he is continuing this trend (kind of a different way to be a "designated hitee" I guess). As a plus, being a OF, 3rd baseman and catcher makes him half of a two man bench.

Goedert is way too early to call, he can be anything from Manny Ramirez as a middle infielder to Scott Pratt. But he is at least really interesting.
ArtGold

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:02 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:The most promising power prospect for us at 1B right now appears to be Whitney, if he can stay healthy. He's on pace to hit 30 in Low-A. I hope the Tribe plans on moving him up to Kinston. If all goes well then I'd guess he's a guy we could look for in 2009.

I'm not sold on Whitney's comeback yet. He's doing all this at a level he has played at now for 3-4 years, is old for the league....and even after all the production has a bad k-rate still. I think it is great he has bounced back and shown a glimpse of the potential the Indians saw in him 5 years ago......but until he goes to Kinston and performs like this, I ain't gettin excited.

Brown seems a bit underpowered. I think Mulhern and Garko can output 20 HRs a season at the least. Aubrey might be able to do 30. Brown seems like a 10-15 HR guy.

Brown is more a contact hitter with gap power. The best comp I always see is Wally Joyner, which is spot on if you ask me. He hits for a good average, makes consistent contact, and produces. In 279 at bats, he has only Ked 28 times. That's a 10:1 ratio, which is very good. Of all the 1B, he is my favorite in the org right now.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:04 am

ArtGold wrote:I have to disagree on Mulhern, I bet he is a Josh Phelps type at the major league level, and never making it to the status of a regular starter. I say this because of two things, his power and BA inconsistency and the complete failure to improve his BB/K ratio as he has moved through the minors, even this season. My bet is he would be no more than a "flash in the pan" for a few weeks in the majors, at best.

Goedert and Gimenez have a chance to be special, but they need to finish the year without a substantial falloff and confirm with a growing performance next season.

Gimenez is really interesting, that BB/AB and BB/K ratio, and considering he is doing it with great power at Kinston, is really an encouraging development. Historically, he has a very high HBP rate, but I haven't seen if he is continuing this trend (kind of a different way to be a "designated hitee" I guess). As a plus, being a OF, 3rd baseman and catcher makes him half of a two man bench.

Goedert is way too early to call, he can be anything from Manny Ramirez as a middle infielder to Scott Pratt. But he is at least really interesting.

All great points Art.....let me only add that one thing about GImenez is he is finally healthy this year and maybe we are seeing what was orignally there but had not shown itself because of the injuries the last two years. He put up great numbers at MV in 2004....
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB