Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Miguel Cabrera

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Miguel Cabrera

Unread postby oldcrow » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:10 pm

I'd like to see him in a Tribe uniform and the Marlins are one of those teams that will sometimes deal for young players. The Marlins could also use the outfield help
How about Cabrera and Armando Benitez for Marte,Gutierrez and Slocumb?
I just keep thinking how nice it would be to have Vmart and Cabrera hitting back to back
oldcrow

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:18 pm

You can't ask Pup if his Yankee trade proposal was serious and than make this proposal. You just can't.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby KChmura » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:35 pm

then we can trade koplove and matt miller for chad cordero :roll :roll:
KChmura

Favorite Player: Kevin Kouzmanoff
Least Favorite Player: Rafael Betancourt

Unread postby oldcrow » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:36 pm

Why? Is it outrageous in some way?

We aren't talking about any perenial MVP's or guys that are making huge money.

Please explain.....If you can
oldcrow

Unread postby Babrook » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:49 pm

Could we get Cabrera? I think.

I think Lofgen, Marte, Benny Francisco, Bullpen Fodder ala Mujica, and a chunk of cash will pull it off.

And frankly, I would love to have him. My wishlist for the tribe-

TB's Crawford
TB's Baldelli
FLA's Cabera
WSH's Cordero

Just...think about it. Only issue is that we're raping all of TB's talent.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:00 pm

The trade isn't even realistic. To get Cabrera they are going to want Carmona. Maybe you could get away with Lee, Sowers, and Crowe, but I doubt they'd even do that.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:34 pm

He is one of the best young players in all of baseball.
He isn't going anywhere unless someone trades them the farm, and possibly another farm.

Unread postby Babrook » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:48 pm

FightDr wrote:He is one of the best young players in all of baseball.
He isn't going anywhere unless someone trades them the farm, and possibly another farm.

They're pretty much sucking his balls on Baseball Tonight right now, lol.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:49 pm

Well, I'd trade them Lofgren...but ball sucking is where I draw the line dammit!!
captain_wahoo

Unread postby buddycowley » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:13 pm

captain_wahoo wrote:Well, I'd trade them Lofgren...but ball sucking is where I draw the line dammit!!

Maybe the Indians would be trying to fill the void of Kazuhito "Boogie Nights" Tadano?

Buddy
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:34 pm

oldcrow wrote:Why? Is it outrageous in some way?

I can. Cabrera is 24 years old. One year older than Marte, 3 and a half years younger than Ryan Howard. In the national league right now you have Pujols, Howard and than Cabrera. He's several years from his prime, he plays a skill position. He plays in a horrible hitters park. We ARE talking about an mvp candidate every year. He just missed the batting title last year. So, this will stand as my....explanation.

I would be interested in your explanation of why Florida would like a third base prospect who's star potential is fading fast. Huge prospects don't get traded twice in a month and a half nor do guys with power potental take the same amount of time to hit their first triple a home run. I also don't think they need a 26 year old pitcher that an organization can't figure out to start or relieve despite the fact he's been with them for 3 years. And, throwing in a fourth outfielder isn't getting it done either.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Babrook » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:05 am

buddycowley wrote:
captain_wahoo wrote:Well, I'd trade them Lofgren...but ball sucking is where I draw the line dammit!!

Maybe the Indians would be trying to fill the void of Kazuhito "Boogie Nights" Tadano?

Buddy

I bet the locker room got really awkward after that.

And, throwing in a fourth outfielder isn't getting it done either.

It's about the cash. Florida is a small market team with terrible attendance.
Last edited by Babrook on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby psk678 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:06 am

Lead Pipe wrote:
oldcrow wrote:Why? Is it outrageous in some way?

I can. Cabrera is 24 years old. One year older than Marte, 3 and a half years younger than Ryan Howard. In the national league right now you have Pujols, Howard and than Cabrera. He's several years from his prime, he plays a skill position. He plays in a horrible hitters park. We ARE talking about an mvp candidate every year. He just missed the batting title last year. So, this will stand as my....explanation.

I would be interested in your explanation of why Florida would like a third base prospect who's star potential is fading fast. Huge prospects don't get traded twice in a month and a half nor do guys with power potental take the same amount of time to hit their first triple a home run. I also don't think they need a 26 year old pitcher that an organization can't figure out to start or relieve despite the fact he's been with them for 3 years. And, throwing in a fourth outfielder isn't getting it done either.

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up...

This trade is pure and utter poppycock.
psk678

Unread postby BadBecks » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:06 am

I'd trade Adam Miller and the rights to my next three kids for Miguel Cabrera. Yea, that's right, I said it.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby TribeinLA » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:01 am

I'd trade Miller for Cabrera as well. Matter of fact, I'd trade Miller, Marte, and Koplove for him. Yeah, he's that freaking good. He's one of the game's best hitters. He's 24. he plays in a horrible ball park and his team will never be a continual force. He's this decade's version of Vlad when he was coming up with MTL.

The only Tribe player anyone's going to wanna talk business about is Carmona. A tough, tough call would be deciding between Fausto or Miguel. Talk about two future stars.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:31 am

He's very good, but he's getting quite fat for a young guy. That has to be a concern.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:34 am

I'll take a fat guy that puts up his numbers any day of the week.
Tony Gwynn was pretty good.
Kirby Puckett was fat.
Kruk was a slob, and still is.

Unread postby Babrook » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 am

FightDr wrote:I'll take a fat guy that puts up his numbers any day of the week.
Tony Gwynn was pretty good.
Kirby Puckett was fat.
Kruk was a slob, and still is.

Don't forget Big Papi and Prince Fielder.

I don't think I'd give Fausto up. He's gonna have a huge career.

If C.C leaves, he could be our ace.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby oldcrow » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:12 pm

Leadpipe, you are not considering the business side of baseball and the Florida Marlins. Also, we are talking about an average to below average defensive player with possible weight problems in the future.
He MAY have a lot of 25 to 35 HR seasons, but he is no Arod, Not even close.
Unless I'm wrong, Cabera only has a one year contract which is paying him next to nothing. The Marlins will never be able to keep this guy when he becomes a free agent and I'd think they'd be willing to listen to offers to get something out him.
Would it take more than what I proposed? Maybe. But this guy could be had for the right price and it wouldn't going to take a Carmona to do it.
Maybe some cash along with couple top line minor leaguers and one or two current young players that are up with the squad now could be enough.
oldcrow

Unread postby intenso » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:19 pm

oldcrow wrote:Leadpipe, you are not considering the business side of baseball and the Florida Marlins. Also, we are talking about an average to below average defensive player with possible weight problems in the future.

wait, why did we want him again?
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:42 pm

Isn't he the guy who won his arbitration case and got 6 or 7, the highest arbitration win in history?
I just looked it up, he's the guy.

We're also just going to assume a guy will have weight problems? That's funny.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/playerpage/288897

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:00 pm

oldcrow wrote:Leadpipe, you are not considering the business side of baseball and the Florida Marlins. Also, we are talking about an average to below average defensive player with possible weight problems in the future.
Unless I'm wrong, Cabera only has a one year contract which is paying him next to nothing. The Marlins will never be able to keep this guy when he becomes a free agent and I'd think they'd be willing to listen to offers to get something out him.
Would it take more than what I proposed? Maybe. But this guy could be had for the right price and it wouldn't going to take a Carmona to do it.
Maybe some cash along with couple top line minor leaguers and one or two current young players that are up with the squad now could be enough.

You are correct in the fact it won't take Carmona - it will take more.
He is a superstar. SUPER star. One of the leagues best players, and that isn't debatable. Again 24 years old, maybe 3-4 years away from his prime. He's going to be better before he gets worse.
The business side you are ignoring is that there are 30 teams in the league. I understand they might not want to pay the guy that money, but they are certainly going to be offered better packages than those three.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby tribefan333 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:09 pm

Florida will demand Carmona...

The only trade I'd do with Florida because of that would be Carmona+Peralta for Cabrera+Hanley Rameriz+very high pitching prospect...ala Adam Miller type pitcher coming up in AAA....that's a steep price on the Marlins part.

And I'd only do that trade after resigning CC.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Just think the Florida fans think the guy is fat!

Unread postby ramllov » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:43 pm

It is funny, here the guy your talking about has a chance to be the league MVP. He does a pretty good job at third base and has started in the outfield and did a pretty good job.

All you hear on the Florida air waves is how fat he is.

They are going to lose him and their ace starting pitcher. They do not want to spend any money. So, yes, he is on the market for the right price.

What is the right price, major minor league talent or young major league players who will not be high price talent for a few years because they have not been in the majors for a long time.

This team does not generate money, so it depends on fielding young low cap type players. Now when they get to the point where they are open to arbitration, or the free market, they will trade them for more young talent.

This process has repeated over and over again.

So, could the Indians ink this player for five years and give away a high level amount of young talent?

If the Indians cannot sign him for a five year type contract, they would not trade for him. So, if that have CC and Travis Hafner and they can sign these guys, why are you wasting your time on this discussion.

They do have the talent to make the trade, but they don't have the money to sign the guy for five years.
I enjoy this stuff.
ramllov

Re: Miguel Cabrera

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:31 pm

oldcrow wrote:I'd like to see him in a Tribe uniform and the Marlins are one of those teams that will sometimes deal for young players. The Marlins could also use the outfield help
How about Cabrera and Armando Benitez for Marte,Gutierrez and Slocumb?
I just keep thinking how nice it would be to have Vmart and Cabrera hitting back to back

Seems to me that would be akin to the Marlins offering to take Sizemore and Fernando Cabrera for Taylor Tankersley, Robert Andino and Josh Willingham. Those are three of the Marlins top 10 prospects with Willingham contributing even more for them than Gutierrez does for the Tribe.

Doesn't sound all that inviting when you look at it that way.

Cabrera is in his 4th full season and is a 300+ hitter with 120+ Hrs who averages 100+ RBI.
Sizemore is the same age and can't compare to any of the numbers above (albeit he is likely to steal 50 bases for you and play electric defense) and we consider him an MVP caliber player.

Not to mention the fact that your throw in, Benitez, makes $10million a year. You don't see many $10million dollar throw ins.

Can't see that or anything remotely close to that happening. But I'd like him as much as you do.
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:46 pm

According to Gammons, neither Cabrera nor Willis are available now, or anytime in the near future. Not available at all. Not listening to any trade offers whatsoever. Forget about Cabrera, at least for this year and likely next year.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:47 pm

buddycowley wrote:

Buddy

That guy blew ...
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB