Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Peralta's Defense, or lack there of.......

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Peralta's Defense, or lack there of.......

Unread postby psk678 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:29 am

I know our problems of late haven't been defensively, but I can't help but notice Peralta's miserable defense.

I'll see these meekly hit grounders up the middle and I'm waiting for Peralta to come into the picture.......waiting.....waiting........and then I see him diving 1 second too late.

His hitting has rebounded this year tremendously, but is that what we are really asking of him? I would almost rather have a solid defender, who hits .270, 12, 75/year, than Peralta's questionable at best defense, and power hitting numbers.

Is it his positioning on the infield? Is he just too slow? Is it time to move him to 3rd (next year).

Basically, I want to know if I'm the only one noticing this?
psk678

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:58 am

He's slow moving to his left - one reason I don't think he'd fit in at 3B. Maybe I'm wrong.

Cabrera is continuing to do well at Akron while Marte is still struggling in AAA. Cabrera could be ready by next season, so it might be worth a shot to move Peralta to 3B if he can handle it. If not, I wonder if he can play LF?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:06 pm

Peralta is what he is. He's listed at 6'1", 195 pounds. He's a big boy, which means he's not going to cover as much ground as most shortstops. However, he's on pace to hit 25 HR's with 90 RBI, and you're not going to get those numbers from your basic 5'9", 170 pound Omar/Ozzie type. What the Tribe wants out of Peralta is his bat and for him to handle the balls he CAN get to.

The decision point will probably come the year after next when Astrubal Cabrera will hopefully be ready for the bigs. Cabrera is a 21-year-old, Gold Glove type who is hitting .326 in AA with 17 stolen bases in 21 attempts. I'm assuming he'll move up to AAA next year and be ready for the bigs in 2009. If that's the case then I expect Jhonny will either be traded or moved to 3rd base, depending on whether Marte has panned out by then.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Babrook » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:35 pm

I don't see Peralta in Cleveland for very long, for the exact reasons as state above.

Cabrera is nearly ready for the bigs and Marte is going to get straighted out.

Unless we could use him as a DH, but if Hafner goes I assume Garko will DH, Victor will 1B, and Kshop will be our starting catcher.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:45 pm

I think Cabrera will be here before 2009. He's already spent time at AAA, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved back up there during the season. He's been consistent this year at AA and made the improvements on offense that the Indians looked for.

The biggest improvement I look for in Cabrera now is improving his OBP. His Ks are under control and the OBP has improved significantly thus far, so I believe that will continue. I always like it when players draw more walks than Ks.

Cabrera's also a switch hitter, effective against both righties and lefties. He's batting 2nd in Akron and he looks best in that position. If Crowe can get things together then that'd be a great combo at 1-2, but I'm not sold on Crowe anymore. Barton may be able to lead off in the future if he continues hitting well against lefties and righties while posting a good OBP.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Babrook » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:10 pm

While we are on the topic of minor leaguers, what ever happened to Brad Snyder?
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby jb » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:23 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Peralta is what he is. He's listed at 6'1", 195 pounds. He's a big boy, which means he's not going to cover as much ground as most shortstops. However, he's on pace to hit 25 HR's with 90 RBI, and you're not going to get those numbers from your basic 5'9", 170 pound Omar/Ozzie type. What the Tribe wants out of Peralta is his bat and for him to handle the balls he CAN get to.

The decision point will probably come the year after next when Astrubal Cabrera will hopefully be ready for the bigs. Cabrera is a 21-year-old, Gold Glove type who is hitting .326 in AA with 17 stolen bases in 21 attempts. I'm assuming he'll move up to AAA next year and be ready for the bigs in 2009. If that's the case then I expect Jhonny will either be traded or moved to 3rd base, depending on whether Marte has panned out by then.

Agree that Cabrera is on his way up I 77 next season, byt if Honny can Jit like he is this season, why in the world would we move him? Marte is another Shapiro Escobar special, a guy we got snookered into.

In fact, would it be that crazy to move Blake to RF, Honny to 3rd, and bring up Astrubal this season yet? Yeah, it would be I guess.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:50 pm

JB wrote:
Agree that Cabrera is on his way up I 77 next season, byt if Honny can Jit like he is this season, why in the world would we move him? Marte is another Shapiro Escobar special, a guy we got snookered into.

In fact, would it be that crazy to move Blake to RF, Honny to 3rd, and bring up Astrubal this season yet? Yeah, it would be I guess.

I wouldn't say we got snookered into Marte. It happens sometimes with prospects. He's still only 23 and has been well regarded due to his power, not his batting average. He's never hit above .285 in the minors but he showed 30-40 HR power at age 21. His top end has always been as a .270ish hitter with plenty of power. Even now he still shows 30 HR power while he's working on his swing. He's been compared to Scott Rolen with a lower average and more power. It was a risk, trading for him, but Coco Crisp has proven to be as mediocre as I thought he was. I and other argued then the Michaels was the equal or better OF. I still think that. I also believe Gutierrez and Francisco to both be better for Crisp.

The Indians took a mediocre OF who had peaked and turned him into a 3B with power potential. Maybe Marte never will work out. If he doesn't, fine. That was a risk worth taking in my book.

We'd move Peralta because he does hurt us on defense. He is slow to the left. There's not as much movement at 3B, so he might be able to handle it. Cabrera is a Gold Glove caliber SS who looks very much like Omar Vizquel did in his prime. That may not translate, but right now he looks like a solid switch hitter in the #2 slot in the order. They need to move him up to AAA sooner rather than later. I think Barton should be moved up too.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:56 pm

JB wrote:

Crazy? yes in a good way. Victor to 1st, Chop/shop to C...platooning of course..........................but wait wouldn't that basically maximize hitting at those positions, except short which would be "to be determined" while improving the "D" at SS ?.........ah you're right, crazy.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:11 pm

Honny at 3B could be appealing long term. He could bulk up a bit more and become a 30HR guy there.

I think Cabrera is the long term solution at SS, but I don't think we need to call him up now. He needs time in Buffalo first. We may see him in September, but I think the earliest he'll be a regular will be at the beginning of the '08 season.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby psk678 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:16 pm

Prosecutor wrote: However, he's on pace to hit 25 HR's with 90 RBI, and you're not going to get those numbers from your basic 5'9", 170 pound Omar/Ozzie type. What the Tribe wants out of Peralta is his bat and for him to handle the balls he CAN get to.

Yeah, but there in lies the problem. Shortstop is one of the most important defensive positions on the field, and we have a butcher out there. You want to be strong defensively up the middle (C,SS,2B,CF) and we are 3/4, and IMO that 1/4 is killing us.

And I'm not asking for an Ozzie/Omar type, those guys are 1 in a million. I want a solid defensive shortstop who will make plays. Unless Peralta does a 180 or shrinks, he's a liability out there and we need to address it.
psk678

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:28 pm

Agreed, I saw Jhon make a spectacular play in the hole against Seattle then not even get in my lense frame on one "not" so hot up the middle if you hear me. The man can hit. 3rd or left in the future?
pod2dawg

Unread postby Tribefan24 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:52 pm

i think Jhonnys defense has been much better this yr... i know he has 12 errors... but he was attrocius last yr offensively and defensively

he has been a lot better this yr

LETS GO TRIBE
Tribefan24

Unread postby hermanfontenot » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:16 pm

Peralta = Jose Valentin without the cool mustache.

You will never win a World Championship with his kind of defense at short. And his lethargy and attention lapses afield make him a poor bet to be moved to third.

Best hope, he continues his big offensive year, making him easy to move in the off-season. Long-term, he needs to be gone.
hermanfontenot
History Buff

Favorite Player: Big Z
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Babrook » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:45 pm

Tribefan24 wrote:i think Jhonnys defense has been much better this yr... i know he has 12 errors... but he was attrocius last yr offensively and defensively

he has been a lot better this yr

LETS GO TRIBE

He had Lasik during the off season, I do believe.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby Babrook » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:59 pm

I just saw something I would never expect to see.

Jhonny.

In Web Gems.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby tribefan333 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:06 pm

This thread has horrible timing.....
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:23 pm

Peralta is a 3b, plain and simple. I think hes a natural fit there. Hes got the hot corner stick, handles the rocket shots well, and will be 6'2, 215 a couple years from now.

Honny has 12 recorded errors, but could easily have 20-22 if not for Jacobs Field official scorer gifts. And this is completely discounting all the balls he just doesn't get to, that most other shortstops turn into outs.

And I agree with Herm, teams rarely win titles with a hack at SS.

I've been screaming for the Indians to move Peralta away from SS for 2 years now. I think they tried to get a SS this off-season, but were unable. It then would have been Peralta picking up Martes slack at 3b, with Casey staying in the OF.

Honny is raking at the plate this year though, and it makes his defense more acceptable IMO.

FA class for SSs is junk this winter. Omar, Eckstein, Juan Uribe. Thats about it.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:57 pm

I believe this offseason you will see Peralta moved to 3B, and open the door for Cabrera at SS. Marte could be deadline trade bait, or bait this offseason.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:53 am

Can someone remind me of Peralta extensive experience playing third base that I missed?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:19 am

I want to say it was 2004. Since both Peralta and Phillips were at AAA and the Tribe figured one of them would be taking over for Omar in 05, JP and Phillips split time at short. When JP was at SS, Phillips played 2nd. When Phillips played SS, JP was at 3rd.

The error numbers for both was horrendous(I think they combine to commit 49), but that could have been a result of the constant shifting back and forth between positions.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:38 am

Peralta has about 10 games of experience at 3B in the majors, and played there for half the season at Buffalo in 2004 as well as previous years in the minors (but very little). He also has played 3B in winter leagues.

I don't see a move to 3B being as much a problem as a move to 2B would be. And, I agree that as Peralta gets bigger he is more suited size-wise to 3B. He could even pay more attention to bulking up more.
consigliere

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:43 pm

I don't see a move to 3B being as much a problem as a move to 2B would be. And, I agree that as Peralta gets bigger he is more suited size-wise to 3B. He could even pay more attention to bulking up more.[/quote]

A lot of shortstops have successfully made the move to 3rd, even without having played there before. Mainly they were bigger, more offensive oriented players who had the bat to play 3rd and moved over when they got older (Travis Fryman, Cal Ripken Jr) or ended up on a team with an All-Star shortstop (Alex Rodriquez). Peralta falls into the same category.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:55 pm

Third base is ALL about quickness. Entirely. You have no time to react, you just *bip* make the play. Yes, you need to field bunts and charge slow rollers and such, but playing third is all about the lightning reaction.

Now, tell me what Peralta's biggest problem at shortstop is.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:58 pm

going to his left and getting to ground balls up the middle.
pod2dawg

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:30 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:Third base is ALL about quickness. Entirely. You have no time to react, you just *bip* make the play. Yes, you need to field bunts and charge slow rollers and such, but playing third is all about the lightning reaction.

Now, tell me what Peralta's biggest problem at shortstop is.

Touche.

But, where do you think Peralta would be the lesser liability defensively....3B or SS? As an example, would we be better off defensively with him at SS and Travis Fryman at 3B, or him at 3B and Omar Vizquel at SS?
consigliere

Unread postby tribefan333 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:24 pm

With Barfield playing well we could have a very nice middle infield combo with Barfield/Cabrera. If a deal came up for Marte and I'm Shapiro, I'd listen. But I don't think replacing Peralta or moving him should be a priority right now.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:31 pm

pod2dawg wrote:going to his left and getting to ground balls up the middle.

Fair enough. (Note that this is not an uncommon problem.)

So, what I'm driving at: is this because Peralta is very, very laterally slow, or because his first step is not quick? If the former, third base may actually be just the thing, as a third baseman doesn't need a lot of classical "range." If it's the latter, then he'd be hopeless at third.

(I don't actually know the answer: I actually consider his defense at short to be adequate, but acknowledge that there may be better defensive options in the system.)
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:01 pm

A lot of the plays at 3rd don't involve hard-hit balls. And every 3rd baseman is going to have problems with those. Last night Barfield hit a rocket that short-hopped Chavez, and he couldn't come up with it. Chavez has six Gold Gloves.

Peralta is sure-handed and has a strong arm. His problem is his range, which is not surprising since he is unusually tall and heavy for a shortstop. He should be adequate defensively at 3rd. As soon as Cabrera is ready for the bigs, Peralta should be moved to 3rd. Unless Marte is tearing it up, in which case Jhonny should be traded in a package for a corner outfielder. Ideally it would be something like Jhonny, Shoppach, and Lee/Sowers for Carl Crawford.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:36 pm

Fair enough. (Note that this is not an uncommon problem.)

So, what I'm driving at: is this because Peralta is very, very laterally slow, or because his first step is not quick? If the former, third base may actually be just the thing, as a third baseman doesn't need a lot of classical "range." If it's the latter, then he'd be hopeless at third.

(I don't actually know the answer: I actually consider his defense at short to be adequate, but acknowledge that there may be better defensive options in the system.)

Buff, my take on Honny has always been that it's not his first step. He generally reacts correctly to the batted ball, it's the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th steps. The ball hit up the middle that Omar easily scoops and throws in one motion ... that Honny painfully dives and misses at.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:59 pm

You can't discount the times the guy just simply apprears to not be paying attention.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby ArtGold » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:47 pm

I think Peralta is an OK shortstop. His range factor so far this season is 4.40 vs a league average of 4.04. His error rate is a bit higher than previous years, but his fielding % is .964 vs a league average of .968.

As a comp, Derek Jeter's range factor so far this season is 4.44 and fielding % of .964, almost identical to Peralta.

I agree he may eventually end up at third if Cabrera becomes a major league player, but I haven't seen fielding statistics for him either. I have read past scouting reports questioning his range, so I don't really know who makes more sense at SS or 3rd.
ArtGold

Unread postby psk678 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Quite frankly, I still believe that Peralta is a hack at SS and a liability at one of the most imortant defensive positions on the field. With Cabrera doing well, and with the idea of Marte fulfilling his potential, we could have a conundrum on the left side of the diamond.

As I look across the dugout this series, I see Bobby Crosby. This guy would be a perfect fit for our team. You're not going to get a ton out of him offensively, but he plays a solid game at short.

P.S. I'm not saying we should go after him, just making a comparison.
psk678

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:08 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:So, what I'm driving at: is this because Peralta is very, very laterally slow, or because his first step is not quick? If the former, third base may actually be just the thing, as a third baseman doesn't need a lot of classical "range." If it's the latter, then he'd be hopeless at third.

I think it is the former. He's laterally slow but he appears to me to react very quickly. He seems to handle the quick shots nearby the best. It's the stuff that goes through near 2B that is the problem. He often will react quick enough but doesn't have the speed to get there.

I've thought in the past that he wouldn't be a fit at 3B because he was slow to his left, but watching him the past week makes me think that it is just the lateral quickness that's the problem. He'll be a problem when the ball if hit too far out of position at 3B, but he'll react quickly to it and I think may prove an above average 3B eventually. The major problem is adapting to being several feet closer to the batter.

I agree with Tony, he could focus more on bulking up at 3B and could become a perennial 30HR 3B.

At this point it appears that Cabrera will be ready to go by next season and he could be pretty close now. They could bring in a vet SS for insurance, though I'm not sure if Omar would want to come back to serve that role. He might be enticed to mentor a next gen Venezuelan SS though.

I think it's clear at this point that Cabrera is the future at SS. I have to think that Shapiro picked him up because he wasn't sure about Peralta. If Peralta can be successful at 3B then I hope Marte can pull things together at Buffalo to up his value. I think they could occasionally put Rouse at SS with Blake in RF right now and give Peralta reps at 3B and see how he does there. If he does well then is it too early to call up Cabrera? He's had time in AAA. Does he need to spend some more time there or is he about ready now?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:38 pm

While Tony could speak more to his readiness, I see no way the Indians have the balls to bring up Asdrubal this year, and move Honny to 3b.

Honny is our SS for '07, hell, high water, or 30 errors this year.

But it will be an interesting decision for the Indians this offseason.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:09 pm

I agree Honny isn't leaving "6" this year unless on a stretcher. The twist on this could be for discussion's sake only, "Have you seen Blake's play at third lately?". Maybe Jhonny could grow some locks and stuff his mouth with chew and do a "baby bull" impersonation in left next year. He of course would have to spend the off season pulling tractor tires behind him attached to his waste by a rope ( Manny's old training trick)......then we could say things like.."that's just Jhonny being Jhonny."
pod2dawg

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:55 pm

Swerb wrote:While Tony could speak more to his readiness, I see no way the Indians have the balls to bring up Asdrubal this year, and move Honny to 3b.

Honny is our SS for '07, hell, high water, or 30 errors this year.

But it will be an interesting decision for the Indians this offseason.

Yes, Peralta is our SS this year. No way that is changing.

It will be interesting this offseason what they do, though. Cabrera will be rostered, and looks like he'll be major league ready by the end of this season. Heck, he may get a Sept callup and be here to get some spot play this year. In any case, I think Cabrera is a legit possibility at SS in 2008.

The Indians certainly have some trade chips with Marte, and now guys like Shoppach and Gutierrez who are playing well.
consigliere

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:19 pm

Consigliere wrote:It will be interesting this offseason what they do, though. Cabrera will be rostered, and looks like he'll be major league ready by the end of this season. Heck, he may get a Sept callup and be here to get some spot play this year. In any case, I think Cabrera is a legit possibility at SS in 2008.

The Indians certainly have some trade chips with Marte, and now guys like Shoppach and Gutierrez who are playing well.

I think that's most likely, Cabrera getting a cup of coffee in September and the Tribe maybe trying out Peralta at 3B there with Cabrera at SS, though I don't expect it to be an usual combo. With luck, they'll have Peralta focus on 3B in the offseason and try to get him on a program that will develop his strength more.

I like Peralta's offensive upside more than Marte's. Marte has the bigtime power upside but Peralta is much more capable of hitting for average to go with his power.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby ArtGold » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:24 pm

According to my Baseball America Prospect Handbook for 2007, Cabrera lacks first step quickness, and long actions, giving him fringe average range at shortstop. What makes you certain he will be an upgrade to Peralta.

Everyone blew off the above average range factor for Peralta, do you think it is a phony measure of ability? If you believe it isn't legitimate, why is it deceptive?
ArtGold

Unread postby psk678 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:10 am

pod2dawg wrote:I agree Honny isn't leaving "6" this year unless on a stretcher. The twist on this could be for discussion's sake only, "Have you seen Blake's play at third lately?". Maybe Jhonny could grow some locks and stuff his mouth with chew and do a "baby bull" impersonation in left next year. He of course would have to spend the off season pulling tractor tires behind him attached to his waste by a rope ( Manny's old training trick)......then we could say things like.."that's just Jhonny being Jhonny."

Whoa, whoa, whoa....if you're even remotely comparing Man Ram to Peralta, let me disabuse of that notion right now. If Honny hit like Ramirez, I think all of us would 'look the other way' on his defensive miscues. But in no way can you compare the two.

I think a better comparison would be Peralta to Dunn. Dunn is an absolute butcher when he's in LF, as is MR....as is Honny. If Peralta's numbers were even close to those two, we could forgoe his defense.......BUT....the guy plays SS.

Granted this is a position we have been blessed with defensively for the past 10+ years. (Omar is not looking like a bad option at this point, but I digress)

Bringing up Cabrera when we are in a pennant chase is quite honestly absurd, because frankly, you stick with what works. That being the case, this situation should be addressed in the offseason.
psk678

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:15 am

Art, there were some questions about his first step quickness after the Indians acquired him....but everyone I have talked to, including the author of that piece in the prospect book, say he is an excellent defender and some of the question marks that were there, while still there, have been brushed aside with a nice season this year in the field and plate.

He is a guy I am most interested in seeing play when I head up to Akron in a week. I'll try and shoot some video of him in action as well and post it.

Without any doubt, Cabrera is at least an above average ML shortstop and would be an upgrade over Jhonny at SS. A minimal upgrade? Possibly. But, I see no hard in finding a spot for Cabrera and putting Jhonny at 3B. If both produce, that is a good thing, right? :mrgreen:
consigliere

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:25 am

Agreed psk, I was just fantasizing of having a corner OF , right handed, with power. Dunn would be closer for comparative sake. I'm a big Manny fan too as his freakish monster bat overwhelms his quirks (baserunning etc). Jhonny is a good enough athlete to play 3rd or LF IMHO. Dunn plays left with a skillet. Jhonn can field what he gets to. ArtG don't know anything about above ave. factor rating for Jhonn at short, i'm not that sophisticated. I do know going left it's as if he's pulling a sled. No, I'm not sold on Cabrera either, never seen him. ArtG where do I find this rating ? I'd like to compare the top 10 SS in both leagues. I know the NL's top guys are awesome. Any help? thanks
pod2dawg

Unread postby ArtGold » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:23 am

You have more current information than I saw Tony, thanks. Based upon his age though, isn't there a concerned that he will be as large as Peralta? In other words, isn't it possible that his better SS ability may diminish rapidly as he advances a few years? Or is he more naturally athletic than Peralta?
ArtGold

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:56 am

ArtGold wrote:You have more current information than I saw Tony, thanks. Based upon his age though, isn't there a concerned that he will be as large as Peralta? In other words, isn't it possible that his better SS ability may diminish rapidly as he advances a few years? Or is he more naturally athletic than Peralta?

Art, the weight issue is definitely a concern, and one that is acknowledged by the Indians and scouts. Now, "weight issue" doesn't necessarily imply he eats like crap and is getting fat.....but more that he has a thick body type and as he matures as you noted he may fill out and be more "heavy". That all said, he is much more athletic than Peralta.

I got this in an e-mail from a scout on Cabrera last July shortly after we acquired him:

Special w/glove. Plus hands and pure showy SS actions. Expert hop reader. Smooth transfer. Plus range and instincts allow him to not only get to balls but look for outs in places most SS wouldn't look. Shows off serious athleticism coming in and throwing on run. Very good feel for game, knows speed of runners which allows him to sit back and complete play with ease. Never got caught waiting too long to unload. Avg arm strength made better by plus accuracy. Errors are coming on plays that most INF won't get to or dream of making but that he has chance to pull off. Exc. body control. Glove is enuf that @ worst he's a 4, likely a 5 and if he makes adjustments with bat, a 6. Bet here is for a potential plus plus defender with below avg but acceptable offensive numbers for position, a Juan Uribe type player.
consigliere

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:34 pm

Cabrera's season at Akron may show that he's got more offensive potential than Uribe. He was in AAA at 19 years old and managed to hold his own when he got to Buffalo last year after struggling in Tacoma. He's improved in several aspects of his offensive game this year. He's hitting well against lefties and righties. He's drawing more walks while his K-rate continues to go down. He's also showing more power. I don't expect him to ever be a power hitting SS, but he's looking like he can ding 10-15 a year. Best of all, he's batting .357 with runners on and .300 with RISP.

Lots of positives on Cabrera. It's hard not to be excited about a 21 year old that's doing what he's doing. I'm glad Seattle had a glut at SS because it gave us the opportunity to get him for a cheap rental like Eduardo Perez. Good value there.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:57 am

ArtGold, I have a hard time believing Jhonny's range factor is 10% ABOVE the average. How do they calculate that? By the percentage of ground balls he gets to? I don't know, maybe the fact that we had a fly-ball pitcher (Lee) replaced by a ground-balll pitcher (Carmona) for a while may have something to do with it. Because there's no way Peralta has better range than the average SS.

By the way, I'm not as excited about the Crisp/Marte deal as I used to be. Considering the way Marte, Nixon, Dellucci, Oberto Hernandez, Jason Davis, Mastny, and Cabrera (the pitcher) have played this year, I'd say Crisp and Riske would look pretty good right now.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:09 am

By the way, I'm not as excited about the Crisp/Marte deal as I used to be. Considering the way Marte, Nixon, Dellucci, Oberto Hernandez, Jason Davis, Mastny, and Cabrera (the pitcher) have played this year, I'd say Crisp and Riske would look pretty good right now.

Yeah, Riske is having a helluva year pitching the 7th and 8th inning for KC, and Crisp has really come on as of late for the BoSox.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:03 am

Prosecutor wrote:By the way, I'm not as excited about the Crisp/Marte deal as I used to be. Considering the way Marte, Nixon, Dellucci, Oberto Hernandez, Jason Davis, Mastny, and Cabrera (the pitcher) have played this year, I'd say Crisp and Riske would look pretty good right now.

Let's be fair here too, Riske was pretty much done here and ineffective. Sometimes new scenery, different results. Plus, it is a lot different pitching relief for a last place team like the Royals. I see a correlation there, as Riske was also very good for us when we stunk in 2003.

Oh, and that Shoppach guy from the trade is not that bad. :idea:

I still like the deal.....and have not written off Marte yet, although I feel he will be part of a deal for something else.
consigliere

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:50 pm

In regards to Peralta's defense, if it says he's 10 percent above average in range factor, you can see why people take defensive stats with a grain of salt. Anyone watching the Tribe games this year has to see his range is limited, and has to thank God that 95% of official scorers in the league don't know what the hell is going on.

He's not good there. He's hurting the team defensively, and will continue to do so.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby ArtGold » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:32 pm

I can only go by what the range factor statistics state.

For his career, Peralta has two significant fielding statistics, a fielding percentage of .972 and a range factor of 4.46. The standard for all shortstops during his playing period is a fielding percentage of .970 and a range factor of 4.06

As a contrast, Carlos Guillen has a career fielding percentage of .967 and range factor of 4.02 during his time at shortstop.

Source is Baseball-reference.com.
ArtGold

Next

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB