Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

2B: A future concern?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

2B: A future concern?

Unread postby Lebowski » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:23 pm

According to Tony's payroll spread sheet, Belly is a FA after the 2006 season. I'm not sure if they would look to resign him, or what he would command in FA, but from the overall perspective, what do we have after Ronnie for 2B?

I see only two viable long-term options down on the farm.

Brandon Phillips

The jewel of the Colon trade, he's never come close to realizing his perceived potential. Some think he'll come around, some think he'll be traded. There have been rumblings that KC is interested in him (Buddy Bell might have a hard-on for him...maybe).

If he stays in the Cleveland system for this whoel season, its make or break time. His glove has always been there, but his problems are at the plate and between the ears. IMO, he isn't the guy.

Trevor Crowe

Drafted out of Arizona as a CF, apparently Tribe brass are transitioning him to 2B, where he was as a younger player. Had a good year in 05 as a first-year professional...and his value is enhanced at 2B, rather than in the outfield. But he is far from the bigs.

Maybe Shapiro signs a one-year deal with a vet? More Belly? Does Consig know of anyone else on the radar?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

2B

Unread postby BruceK » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:46 pm

While we don't have a wealth of second basemen in the pipeline, we do have a wealth of pitching in there -- a lot more than most teams. You can probably trade pitchers for second basemen, given the demand by most teams for pitching.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby swerb » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:06 pm

What about Jose Vidro out in Washington?

I know Soriano is seriously pissed about getting moved to the outfield.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: 2B: A future concern?

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:52 pm

FWIW, 2B tend to be ex-minor league shortstops.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Jumbo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:59 pm

They'll probably go year-by-year until they can develop someone out of their own system. It would be really nice if BP could suddenly blossom into something - and part of the reason why I think he'll win the backup MI job is based in part on that hope - but, being realistic, they'll probably stick with Belliard (again, year-by-year) as long as he can put up average production and decent defense at 2B.

I think the chances of them signing or trading for a veteran 2B are slim. Second basemen are notorious for rapid declines. (See Alomar, R.)

Trying to turn Crowe into a 2B is a great idea. I think second base is currently one of the weaker positions, both in the majors and minors: granted, some SS will inevitably become 2B, but BA currently has only 3 2B in their top 100 prospects. Dustin Pedroia a valuable commodity in a keeper league? Hmm.... :?
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Lebowski » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:46 pm

It will be interesting to follow Crowe. I remember reading that he is a Sizemore clone at the plate. If he transitons well to 2B, his value is much higher. Does anyone know how much 2B he played in college?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:46 pm

It will be interesting to see what the Indians do at 2B in 2007 and forward. There is CLEARLY a dearth of talent in the middle infield at the minor league level in the Indians system.

I'm with Jumbo, as I think the Indians still are holding out hope that BP can turn things around this year. I believe BP can win the backup 2B/SS job out of ST, and if he proves himself in a part-time role this year they maybe go with him there in 2007.

Or, as Jumbo suggested, they find one year solutions in FA at 2B.

A few names that probably don't have an ETA until 2008 to keep in mind are Eider Torres and Argenis Reyes. Both may project as utility guys, but if one or both have a nice season this year they could become a possibility down the road.

And, from what I have read, Crowe will still be in the OF this year. He worked out at 2B in the instructional leagues only, and won't play 2B again until the instructional leagues after this season. So, at this point, he is not a 2B candidate. Until they officially move him to 2B, he is still an OFer. And, I am not sure he played much 2B at Arizona, if any at all.

Oh, and Lebow, Crowe is often compared to Crisp (not Sizemore).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB