Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Why Is Rouse Still On This Team?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Why Is Rouse Still On This Team?

Unread postby Hoover » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:26 pm

Since we're getting rid of deadweight like Olberto, why not do a complete housecleaning? Rouse is now hitting .122, with a fungus-like OBP of .204. We could put CC in for 1 game a week and he'd hit better. Any ball hit his way would never get past him. It's physically impossible. :mrgreen:

Inglett's been hitting good for most of the year at Buffalo. He did the job for us last year.

So why is Rouse still with the Tribe?
Hoover

Unread postby paulcousineau » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:28 pm

Boy, we have now had a call for Nixon, Dellucci, and Rouse to follow Hernandez out of town.

Must be some blood in the water.
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Re: Why Is Rouse Still On This Team?

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:37 pm

Hoover wrote:Since we're getting rid of deadweight like Olberto, why not do a complete housecleaning? Rouse is now hitting .122, with a fungus-like OBP of .204. We could put CC in for 1 game a week and he'd hit better. Any ball hit his way would never get past him. It's physically impossible. :mrgreen:

Inglett's been hitting good for most of the year at Buffalo. He did the job for us last year.

That one's actually easy: Inglett can't play 3B and Luna and Rivas can't play defense.

As long as you're not expecting your UIF to hit, Rouse isn't nearly the drag on the roster that guys like Nixon, Dellucci, and Hernandez are/were.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:55 pm

Yeah, Rouse is just a backup. We have an eastablished infield at 3B, SS, and 2B with guys who are unquestioned regulars. If would be different if we were platooning at one of the positions and Rouse was hitting like that. Bottom line, he is strictly a backup, plays maybe once a week, is the best available defensive infield option out of the utility guys in the system, and has decent speed off the bench.

I'm no Rouse big fan, but he isn't hurting us all that much. Besides, if you dump Rouse, who else is Buff gonna wax poetic about?

BTW, amazing how "fungus" has become part of the regular C-Sports rhetoric....you done good Buffum. An article idea for you or for discussion on these boards: "The Indians All-Fungus Team".
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Re: Why Is Rouse Still On This Team?

Unread postby Hoover » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:12 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
Hoover wrote:Since we're getting rid of deadweight like Olberto, why not do a complete housecleaning? Rouse is now hitting .122, with a fungus-like OBP of .204. We could put CC in for 1 game a week and he'd hit better. Any ball hit his way would never get past him. It's physically impossible. :mrgreen:

That one's actually easy: Inglett can't play 3B

He's actually played all infield positions.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... lett.shtml

Rouse is a fungus on offense. He makes Nixon look usable in comparison. Rouse is dragging the team down every time he's at bat.
Hoover

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:20 pm

I will rephrase:

Inglett can't play 3B ... well.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:31 pm

Yes, Inglett has played just about everywhere on the field. But, he is a pretty crappy defensive player, particularly on the left side of the infield. He is useable at 2B.....but your utility infielder, particularly when the infield has set starters, arguably needs to have more a defensive presence than an offensive one. If the offense comes with the defense, so be it. But, defense is a must.
consigliere

Unread postby TribeinLA » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:15 pm

My Indians ALL -FUNGUS team (dating back twenty years)

C - Junior Ortiz...hit 5 HR's in 9 seasons as a big leaguer. He does have a ring.

1B - Jeff Manto... Seemed like he was in Cleveland for 20 years

2B - Tommy Hinzo...Exactly!

SS - Mark Lewis...Was a top prospect to Topps, Donruss, and Upper Deck, but why was Felix Fermin still seeing much PT?

3B - Carlos Martinez...he could play 3rd, 1st, or DH! Do we owe it to him or Reggie Jefferson or Thomas Howard for allowing us to become a winnig franchise once each was dumped?

DH - Dave Clark...A silent assasin who nestled between Pete O'Brien and Brook Jacoby in a stellar hitting lineup.

OF - Glenallen Hill...What a gem in that Candiotti deal. He and Mark Whitten comined for a decent player.

OF - Brad Komminsk...Had a 5 rbi game against the Rangers in 1989. I think that was half of his total.

OF - Mitch Webster...A poor man's Brett Butler? A Precursor to the style of play of Grady Sizemore? In any event, we owe Mitch.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby Hoover » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:28 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:I will rephrase:

Inglett can't play 3B ... well.

Where is this coming from? Scouts? Wedge? I just did a bit of research on Inglett, and there's no indication he's bad at SS or 3B. He's never played 3B for the Tribe and he only played 1 errorless game at SS in 06. He's never had a chance to prove he's good or bad.

However he spent alot of time in the AFL last year honing his SS skills. His reward was Beefalo. While Rouse is stinking it up at the plate, we got a perfectly usable guy wasting time in AAA. Doesn't make sense, unless there's some other reason Inglett is being kept there. Doesn't look like the main problem is his fielding.
Hoover

Unread postby The Math God » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:10 pm

Like anybody expects Rouse to hit when he gets a chance to play.
I just want him to play some D.
Let the other guys hit the ball.
The Math God

Unread postby Hoover » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:38 pm

EVERYbody should be expected to hit.

We shouldn't have one dead spot in the lineup. If we lose 1 or 2 games because of Rouse, that's too much. At the end of the year, if we finish 1 or 2 back of Detroit, it will suck, and Rouse's crappy hitting will be a factor.
Hoover

Unread postby TribeinLA » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:54 pm

A lot of people ask, "Why is Marte in Buffalo and Rouse still in the bigs?" And the answer is rather simple: We are still sculpting a promising, somewhat freak of a nature type player in Marte. We aren't satisfied with where he is at the moment and he'll get all of the detailing and personal one on one time in Buffalo. Rouse? Why would he go to Buffalo? He's about 30 years old, yes? There's no sculpting him - is what he is. It would do us no good to have Marte platooning with Blake and having to figure things out on his own. Meanwhile, Rouse would hurt Buffalo. Rouse is on this roster because he was cheap, he's supposedly solid in the field, and he plays the least used backup role on the team. Rouse, also, has little, little MLB experience (some with Oak). The minors are not a place where we send "bad players". It's a place to develop and Rouse is 100 percent developed...he's just not very good.

Alvaro Espinoza was a guy who played sparingly and pinch ran a lot. He backed up Jim Thome, who was a younger version of Csey Blake before he blew up and became a 1st baseman. Alvaro was better than Rouse, but the role was much the same (although Alvaro played more and contributed more) and that was 30 somethings who have hit a wall, but can play for peanuts and hustle their butts off...and also give you a start once every two weeks.

What I do not take kindly to is Rouse, Nixon, and DD being in the same lineup. That should NEVER happen again. Casey Blake doesn't need days off and should play rf some, too. Then again, Marte needs to come back for that to happen.
TribeinLA

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:55 pm

TribeinLA wrote:A lot of people ask, "Why is Marte in Buffalo and Rouse still in the bigs?" And the answer is rather simple....

Yeah, the answer is simple. If you have Marte here instead of Rouse....who is the backup SS/2B? :idea:
consigliere

Unread postby TribeinLA » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:31 am

C'mon, Con. Who cares?

It's not a case of Rouse being the more well-rounded fielder. We would, in that situation, just have to call up Hector Luna (who could probably also play 3rd if he had to). Big deal. Is Luna a dropoff from Rouse? Is anyone? We call up Luna, as our utility guy, and that costs us another OF such as Fransisco. See, this is why Shapiro should have combined the purses of Dellucci and Nixon (7 mil) and bought a switch hitting 50 HR hitting guy like...uh...like...the Mick?

Right now, it just looks like we cannot afford to lose anyone at any position and actually, your argument for 2nd base is taken by me whole-heartedly. All I am trying to argue is that if Marte was called up, I would cut/ship out Rouse and call up Luna because he can do everything that Rouse is doing. Rouse is better in the field, but no way does Luna only have 6 hits in the duty he would see. Plus, I'd be a helluva lot more comfortable with Hector hitting with 2 outs and RISP as opposed to Quantum Leap star, Mike Rouse (who also played the character of "Paul Blake" in Necessary Roughness). As I said, we'd lose an OF in this case, meaning that Jason Michaels or Trot Nixon would play everyday. Eh...blah, blah, blah...bottom line: Very doubtful that we lose the AL Central/Wildcard due to getting rid of Mike Rouse and losing a corner OF so that we can have both Marte and Luna.
TribeinLA

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:52 am

TribeinLA wrote:All I am trying to argue is that if Marte was called up, I would cut/ship out Rouse and call up Luna because he can do everything that Rouse is doing. Rouse is better in the field, but no way does Luna only have 6 hits in the duty he would see.

But that is the difference. Luna is a BUTCHER in the field. And a truck on the basepaths. To be a good utility guy, you not only need to be versatile, but you have to play pretty good defense and have a little speed to be used as a pinch runner later in games. All advantages there go to Rouse. The ability to hit is a bonus, and about 4th on that list.

I'd like to see Rouse go as well, but not for alternatives such as Luna.

And, we are better off right now with Blake at 3B and Francisco up here as an extra outfielder. At least the team is more athletic in that regard.
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB