Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Slightly OT - Barrett traded to San Diego

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Slightly OT - Barrett traded to San Diego

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:03 am

Heard on ESPN Radio that Michael Barrett was traded from the Cubs to the Padres. No word on who the Cubs got in return yet, or if anyone else from that team was sent to the Padres.

What's interesting about this, is that Barrett was the one that got into a fight with Carlos Zambrano. I guess we know who won the fight to stay on the team (not that there was ever a contest).

I'm sure the Cubs will say the fight had no factor in that decision, but...come on. Could our buddy Josh Bard be going to the Cubs? I can't imagine the Cubs making a deal like that and not be getting any MLB-ready talent in return...
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby pup » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:20 am

Barrett followed the fight with Zambrano with a yelling match with either Ted Lilly or Rich Hill, so there was other issues.

Don't know who will be catching for the Cubs, but Pinella has said he prefers an defensive catcher over an offensive catcher. Is Bard better than Barrett defensively?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:27 am

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:28 am

I think so. Barrett has had defensive issues this season. Don't know if a change of scenery would help or not.
StewieG

Unread postby pup » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:09 am

I guess they got Bowen from SD.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:38 am

Rob Bowen, the backup catcher for the Pads, and minor league OFer Kyler Burke - a first round compensation pick go to the Cubs, Barrett and cash go to the Padres.
StewieG

Unread postby gradyin06 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:29 pm

This is an interesting move. Barrett isn't that great of an all around player though. If he was a more well rounded player this would ahve been a better deal.
gradyin06

Re: Slightly OT - Barrett traded to San Diego

Unread postby Babrook » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:04 pm

StewieG wrote:I'm sure the Cubs will say the fight had no factor in that decision, but...come on.

"Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said Barrett's arguments this month with pitchers Carlos Zambrano and Rich Hill had nothing to do with the deal. "

I call BS.

"It was an honor for me to put on a Chicago Cubs uniform, and I want to personally thank Jim Hendry, the Cubs organization and all the Cub fans for making the past four years so special," Barrett said in a statement. "At the same time, I'm very excited to go to San Diego and do everything that I can to help the Padres win the NL West."

What he forgot to add was "And I wanna thank that sonuvabitch Zambrano too, because without him, I would have been stuck on this doomed team for the rest of this year. Thanks buddy, now I'm on a contender, suck it."
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB