Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Westbrook to be activated

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Westbrook to be activated

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:23 pm

He will be activated and start Sunday. It is confirmed.

Methinks this is a foolish move by the Indians. I don't understand the rush. Why not give him one more rehab start? He was not sharp at all in his last start, throwing only 81 pitches and only 40 for strikes.

Will be very interesting to see what move the Indians make to clear a spot on the 25-man for him.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:31 pm

DFA Oldberto...it's time to put him out to pasture.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby Hoover » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:37 pm

I agree, Hernandez is done, stick a fork in him. Unfortunately, Wedge's pattern is to wait until the last minute to get rid of guys like him. Look how long it took to jettison Jason Johnson a year ago.

They should try to work a trade for Otsuka, and forget about retreads like Blowberto.
Hoover

Re: Westbrook to be activated

Unread postby Hoover » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:39 pm

Consigliere wrote:
Will be very interesting to see what move the Indians make to clear a spot on the 25-man for him.

All they've gotta do is DL Delluci and they take care of that. From the looks of his injury, he won't be playing for weeks. DL Delluci.
Hoover

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:42 pm

No when Dellucci is put on the DL they will bring up Francisco. I really think Oldberto's time has come, and I have a feeling that Rouse will be gone soon as well.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:44 pm

Hoover wrote:
Consigliere wrote:

All they've gotta do is DL Delluci and they take care of that. From the looks of his injury, he won't be playing for weeks. DL Delluci.

THey are not going to go with a 13 man pitching staff.

If Dellucci is DLed, they will call up another position player.....most likely Francisco. Ouside chance it could be Marte (with Blake moving into the OF).
consigliere

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:51 pm

Too bad Choo is hurt, but I agree Francisco has earned the opportunity.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:02 am

How long is Choo out for? If he's out for only a few games on the DL then I'd think about waiting and calling up Choo.

If it'll be too long then Francisco deserves the shot with some consistent playing time to go with it. How many IL batting titles does the guy need to win to get a shot?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:06 am

Choo is out six weeks.
consigliere

Unread postby Wahoot » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:17 am

Consigliere wrote:If Dellucci is DLed, they will call up another position player.....most likely Francisco. Ouside chance it could be Marte (with Blake moving into the OF).

Tough call with Choo out.

If it's Marte . . . right field then becomes Blake/Nixon . . . left is Michaels . . . and Gutierrez is your fourth outfielder. I could live with that.
Wahoot

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:16 am

A 13-man staff is too big, especially on a team that gets a lot of quality starts. You really don't use the bullpen that much when CC and Carmona start. I think that some of the relievers won't get enough work with 8 guys in the pen.

I see no reason to hang on to Oberto and his 6.23 ERA at this point. Release Hernandez, send Stanford to the pen, and bring up Francisco to take Delluci's spot in the left field platoon.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby paulcousineau » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:36 am

Why not keep a 13-man pitching staff until we know if Westbrook is OK?

Stay with me on this:
Dellucci hits the DL (I'll take the "jinx" on that one with yesterday's piece)
Nixon takes Dellucci's spot in the LF platoon
Gutz becomes the full-time RF
Westbrook is called up
Stanford slides into the bullpen to ensure that Westbrook's starts go well

That way, you're still going with a 4 man OF (which isn't unheard of) and keeping Stanford around as an insurance policy if Jake isn't quite right.

The last thing we need is Westbrook pulling a Jason Schmidt and coming back, then realizing that he's still not right...after we have moved Stanford.
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:05 am

I think with Jake coming off an injury, Byrd finally being exposed as what he is, and Lee still up and down ... getting rid of Stanford right now isn't even an option. I've liked what I've seen. Nice command, changing speeds well.

Francisco comes up to replace DeLooch. I also think this is inevitable.

Which leaves a decision between cutting Oldberto and burning another option on Raffie Perez, who along with Betancourt, has been the teams best bullpen arm as of late.

Oldberto must go.

In the past, and as mentioned upthread, the Indians have been very reluctant to admit mistakes in FA by waiving players when it's apparent they are fungi.

Will be ver interesting to see how the Indians handle this.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby paulcousineau » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:22 am

Looks like the 5 OF camp was right:
http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070619&content_id=2036553&vkey=news_cle&fext=.jsp&c_id=cle

I don't get the logic of giving Michaels the full time LF job ahead of giving Gutz the full time RF when Michaels splits are so awful.

If Francisco is the guy, please tell me when he's going to play.
He's RH like Michaels, so there's no possibility of a platoon between the 2 in LF.
He's also (seemingly) behind Gutz for playing time in a RF platoon with Nixon.

While I certainly agree that Francisco has earned his way to Cleveland, how is calling him up to sit on the bench going to help?

He'll be the 3rd RH OF to fill 2 positions, while the LH option is the one that's struggling.
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby pup » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:18 am

I don't think that is set in stone, just a reporter for MLB.com speculating what they will do.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:29 am

When Dellucci goes on the DL, it will be either Francisco or Marte to be called up. I think the obvious choice is B-Fran, but I am starting to side with the opinion that it will be Marte.

Calling up Marte puts him at 3B, and moves Blake to the OF part-time.

But, then again, the Indians may elect for the versatility and speed of Francisco over moving Blake off 3B which he has been good at.
consigliere

Unread postby ArtGold » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:02 pm

I think they will keep Blake at 3rd for the time being, and call up Francisco. If they call up Marte and he stinks for 5 games, they gonna send him back down again, or just let him sit? If you call up Francisco, you have more flexibility in how often he needs to play.
ArtGold

Unread postby gradyin06 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:13 pm

Marte wasn't putting up solid enough numbers during his last time spent during the majors. Francisco will be called up, Blake will stay at third, Dellucci will go on the 15 day DL, Michaels full time left field and Trot and Gutierrez will split in right.
gradyin06

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:28 pm

gradyin06 wrote:Marte wasn't putting up solid enough numbers during his last time spent during the majors. Francisco will be called up, Blake will stay at third, Dellucci will go on the 15 day DL, Michaels full time left field and Trot and Gutierrez will split in right.

I guess I have to ask: Why does Michaels automatically get the full-time slot in Delucci's absense?

Last season many of us complained that Jason was much better suited for the platoon type of role as he got his 1st real day-in, day-out action. Granted, Jason is doing better this season but how much of that is because he is because he is being placed more often in situations where he has a track-record of success? With Delucci getting hurt and heading to the DL, the Tribe has a prime opportunity to see just how good one of the 'kids' (Frankie or BenF) could be if they were given an extended opportunity to play every day.

:idea: Given the chance, one of those guys (Frankie or Ben) just might impress the right people to either help a trade happen or force another decision to be made once Delucci is ready to return.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:32 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:
gradyin06 wrote:Marte wasn't putting up solid enough numbers during his last time spent during the majors. Francisco will be called up, Blake will stay at third, Dellucci will go on the 15 day DL, Michaels full time left field and Trot and Gutierrez will split in right.

I guess I have to ask: Why does Michaels automatically get the full-time slot in Delucci's absense?

Just a guess on my part, but I think he's considered a poor right fielder (but an adequate left fielder). Nixon, OTOH, is the opposite. So the opportunity to platoon either requires a left-handed hitter who can play left (not on roster), or a right-handed hitter who can play right (Gutierrez, Francisco, Blake).

Actually, Nixon is a fungus. But a left-handed one.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:36 pm

Frankie and Ben can both play left field and Michaels is very capable of playing RF. In fact at the start of the season (while Marte was here), a number of games were finished with Michaels coming in for D and playing in RF (replacing Trot as Blake was playing 1B).
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:39 pm

All righty then, thanks for setting me straight about Michaels in right.

I'm still right about Nixon as fungus, though.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:46 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:I'm still right about Nixon as fungus, though.

Man, we have had a lot of fungi in these parts for the last two years....too much for my tastes. Somewhat interesting, is they almost all hit left-handed. This keeps up, and there will have to be different classifications of the fungi in the B-List phylum to accurately represent the crappy left-handed hitters, right-handed hitters, as well as the pitchers too. :mrgreen:
consigliere

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:47 pm

Don't know about that fungus reference..... that implies Trot is a multi-celled organism. Amoeba might be a better reference. :-) :smile: :)
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:51 pm

Something else to chew on: Brad Snyder is already on the 40 man roster and he is a left-handed hitting ceiling fan/outfielder.

Just in case everyone forgot that there was 1 more person to consider for the call-up. :-) :smile: :)
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:51 pm

Just got this from a very good source ....

Just got off the horn with **** ... wanted to catch up with him. He thinks i am nuts for driving in last night. I told him our fans suck and the crowd was lame and he agrees.

He says Choo is very hurt and may have to have Tommy John surgery. francisco will be called up he thinks. He also said Stanford will stay cuz we are gonna need him for rain makeups and later in the year in Seattle.

I asked him who the organization is more down on.. Nixon or DD? he said they knew Nixon physically just wasn't the same.. his body takes a beating .. but they love his leadership and they think he'll hit. DD is a mystery. I guess the players love the guy. He said the organization is really miffed at Hafner. Mentally he is totally out of it right now... and no one knows why. they still love him, but enough already!

He thinks hernandez is gonna be designated for assignment.. no way Rafael Perez gets sent down.... at least he doesnt think. He said while the Tigers are scoring 9 runs a game, he thinks they are not built for the playoffs like they were last year. We'll see.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:07 pm

Thanks, Rich.

I still say that if a pitcher goes down, it's obviously Mastny, since he's got options left. That's kind of a no-brainer, isn't it?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:08 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:... a left-handed hitting ceiling fan/outfielder.

Okay, that's funny. I'll stick with "windmill" because I love the classics, but "ceiling fan" works for me, too.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby cozmeesah » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:09 pm

I always rolled my eyes at the people who blamed Pronk's woes on the marriage but.... maybe they are somewhat correct, lol. That is one of the only things left that I can think of.

Are they trying for a kid and he's just exhausted or something? *sends the mental images away because they frighten me*
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby paulcousineau » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:12 pm

Then what's the point of calling up Francisco then if he's just going to sit?

I'd rather use the spot to keep Stanford AND Westbrook around and let Francisco keep getting regular AB in Buffalo.
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:26 pm

I can tell you why Hafner is mentally out of it. He just got married and turned 30 within the past year. That'll fuck anybody up, those events coming fairly close together like that. :lol:

Too bad about Choo. For him to have to take a year off at this point in his career is a devastating blow. Hope he can come back if it turns out to be Tommy John.

I agree with Swerb's source, it makes no sense to let Stanford go right now. Westbrook may not be ready and Byrd has been abysmal his last six starts. Plus we have very few off days the rest of the year, and the way things are going with Detroit, every game is going to count. It could be neck-and-neck the rest of the way, and can we really keep trotting Byrd out there when he's giving up an average of 10 hits a start, which lasts only four or five innings?

Hernandez has had almost half the season to show what he can do, and his ERA is 6.23. Stanford can take his spot in the pen and be available if we need a spot starter. Matt Miller is also available in Buffalo if needed, and he's light years better than Oberto. How hard a decision can this be?
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Swerb wrote:Just got off the horn with **** ...
He says Choo is very hurt and may have to have Tommy John surgery.

:idea:
If Choo is hurt that bad and has Tommy John, that might just help with 40 man roster management later down the road. Players placed on the 60-day DL do not count toward the 40 man limit. Additionally, if Choo is removed from the 40 man after the season, it might help him slide through waivers and return to Cleveland.

For the record, I hope Choo's injury is not so serious that he needs the Tommy John surgery.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:43 pm

In regard to Hafner's troubles....anyone think the contract situation has anything to do with it?

Not to hijack the thread, since the Hafner issue was already brought up....but according to Gammons he turned down a 5 year $60M deal. Was it something he turned down personally, or was he pressured by the agent, union, or *gulp* his "rock" not to sign when in fact he really does? Just wonderin.
consigliere

Unread postby TribeinLA » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:46 pm

feeling that Rouse will be gone soon as well.

I hope so. I hope that Wedge stops inserting him into lineups and giving players like Blake a day off just b/c some streak ended. Rouse looks like he has the emotional maturity of a 12 year old girl and he also looks like a casting extra in Major League. Is it just me or does he look like the dude from Quantum Leap? Maybe that's who he really is.

Hafner - :x :mad: :-x I really think we need to see how he does in July, but i am for xing him out for a great starter and reliever combo (in my opinion, another deal must be made to get the corner guy). He is, like everyone has mentioned, becoming civilized and appears to have lost that edge. He's performing very poorly as of now.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:52 pm

Prosecutor wrote:I can tell you why Hafner is mentally out of it. He just got married and turned 30 within the past year. That'll fuck anybody up, those events coming fairly close together like that. :lol:

Damn, that one hits close to home. I cant argue The Prosecutor's point though.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby gradyin06 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:13 pm

Effective 4:00 PM June 20th Roberto Hernandez is designated for assisgnment, and Ben Francisco and Edward Mujica called up to the Indians.

"All Bets Are Off" with Bruce Drenann
gradyin06

Unread postby paulcousineau » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:19 pm

So Mujica gets a 4 game stint with the Tribe as he'll be optioned when Westbrook comes back for a Sunday start?

And...Francisco forms a platoon with Michaels in LF? Anybody tell the organization that they're both RH and they already have 4 OF?
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby tribetalk » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:47 pm

HORRIBLE MOVE SHAPIRO.... Why call up a guy who has pitched like SHIT his last four starts against f-ing minor leaguers.

BAD BAD MOVE!
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB