Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Would you trade Shoppach?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Would you trade Shoppach?

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:13 am

Shoppach has become very valuable to the Indians, and he arguably could start for 20-22 other ML teams.

Anyone think teams are calling on his availability?

I'm torn on trading him. I think he is excellent insuance for Victor, and allows Victor to move around some at 1B and DH. Unless we are overwhelmed, I keep the tandem which may be the best in baseball.

Another question, if you don't trade Shoppach for a need, is after this season do you consider Shoppach as a full-time catcher and move Victor to 1B? In the past I have been against a move of Vic to 1B, but with Shoppach's defense and if he can hit even 75% of what he is now, I may be fine with Victor at 1B.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:29 am

If I get a deal I like for a corner outfielder or a really good back of the bullpen guy, yes, I do consider trading Shoppach. It's a risk, but I don't think he's a .300 hitter. I still see .260 with 15-20 HR's. I don't think his value will ever be higher.

But with his defense...I have to get a deal I really like. No Dellucci or Nixon clones.

If we don't trade him, you absolutely have to consider making him the everyday catcher and moving Vic to first almost full-time.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:40 am

It would have to be a deal that blew me away big time, because if Vic were to get hurt, what would we do if Kelly were gone?
captain_wahoo

Unread postby tribefan333 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:42 am

We have an option to trade Shoppach since

-Kelly's defense at catcher and Vic playing first is very good looking
-Vic playing catcher and Garko playing at first is very good looking

I like the latter option, and if the right deal came along for a corner outfielder or even a pitcher I would be looking to pull the trigger. Garko has a lot of upside at 1B. He has the potential to blossom into a .300/25HR a year guy. If I'm Shap, I let Garko get his AB's and start Vic at catcher. I think a lot of teams would love Shopp's upside and would sacrafice a OF to us.

THEN AGAIN, having Shoppach to give Victor some rest behind the plate while still playing Hafner should benefit us greatly come September/October.

In review: It's gotta be a great deal.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby TribeinLA » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:50 am

Good question. He is certainly haveing a great season.

If I could have it MY way, here's the only deal I'd wanna pull:

Indians Trade Kelly Shopach, Andy Marte, Tom Mastny, and Ben Fransisco to Tampa Bay for Carl Crawford.

To fill the voids...don't we have a catcher from that Wickan deat to ATL? Would he be ready or is Tim Laker still in AAA? We'd likely keep Blake at a full-time 3b position and maybe pick up an infielder next offseason.

What about Travis hafner and Andy marte for Carl Craword (just assking opinions)?
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:00 am

Laker is retired and I believe is a minor league manager or something along those lines. Max Ramirez that we got for Wicky was only in A ball last year and nowhere near ready to be called up. This is why we would have to be utterly blown away to part with Kelly. We could always pick up Sandy Alomar Jr. (AAA for the Mets)
captain_wahoo

Unread postby TribeinLA » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:02 am

Thanks for the Laker update, captain. And I thought that catcher might be a lil young, but didn't know if we got a future all star in that deal.

Can we trade Nixon for Sandy?
TribeinLA

Unread postby TribeinLA » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:02 am

Thanks for the Laker update, captain. And I thought that catcher might be a lil young, but didn't know if we got a future all star in that deal.

Can we trade Nixon for Sandy?
TribeinLA

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:07 am

Well the Mets have only had Moises Alou for somewhere around 30 games this year, so maybe they need an outfielder. Seriously, Sandy shouldn't cost very much at all if they decided to go that route. I really don't think Shoppach's value is as high as most of you are thinking. He has never really shown the ability to hit for much of an average in the minors. He has just been locked in for awhile here. He is a very good back up that allows us to put Vic at first and rest himself a little bit. I would go ahead and start Kelly tomorrow, but I'm sure they won't because Stanford and Victor have worked together in the minors and know each other's stuff. They should let Kelly catch when Lee and Byrd pitch
captain_wahoo

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB