Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Tribe interested in Beuhrle?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Tribe interested in Beuhrle?

Unread postby VultureHxC » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:54 pm

Saw this on www.mlbtraderumors.com

Tim Brown of Yahoo's MLB Experts Blog has a list of players GMs will be monitoring for trades in coming months:

White Sox: Mark Buehrle, Jermaine Dye. Brown names contenders for Buehrle: Phillies, Indians, Mariners. I just don't see Kenny Williams helping the Tribe though. Brown thinks Dye should stay in the AL, though other reports have NL West teams after him.

Also Omar has been added to the list of players rumored to be on the market
VultureHxC

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:01 pm

But ... but ... I have an irrational hatred of Moon Face! How am I supposed to root for that?!

Eh, I see Buehrle fetching more than we'd be willing to pay: he's gonna sign with St. Louis in the fall anyway.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby paulcousineau » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:18 pm

Reardless of what Williams would do, I don't see the Tribe trading the quality of prospects the Sox would be asking for to get 4 months of Buehrle.

Taking into account that he was at the WS last year in an StL hat, rooting for the Cardinals, I think it's safe to assume that he'll be wearing that same hat on the mound next year, regardless of 2007 trade activity.
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:17 pm

No chance the White Sox help us out....

But man, Jermaine Dye would be a great fit in RF and hitting behind Victor.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:33 pm

Consigliere wrote:No chance the White Sox help us out....

But man, Jermaine Dye would be a great fit in RF and hitting behind Victor.

Dye's a free agent after the season, so we could chase him in the offseason.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby pup » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:01 pm

Dye's a free agent after the season, so we could chase him in the offseason.

Want to bet he gets away?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Babrook » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:57 pm

Can the Indians really afford Dye with Shapiro trying to keep C.C and Hafner?
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Unread postby noles1 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:20 pm

Hafner is bye-bye. I found out this weekend his wife elected not to renew her contract with Baldwin Wallace after next year to synch with Travis and the writing on the wall says Hafner will test and take the highest bid in the free agent market and look location out west...
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Babrook » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:05 am

noles1 wrote:Hafner is bye-bye. I found out this weekend his wife elected not to renew her contract with Baldwin Wallace after next year to synch with Travis and the writing on the wall says Hafner will test and take the highest bid in the free agent market and look location out west...

Well, I think that we have him to the end of next season, correct? Team Option I think.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby DarNoor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:04 am

noles1 wrote:Hafner is bye-bye. I found out this weekend his wife elected not to renew her contract with Baldwin Wallace after next year to synch with Travis and the writing on the wall says Hafner will test and take the highest bid in the free agent market and look location out west...

So, with the contracts of Westbrrok, Hafner, and CC up, the only guy we will be able to keep is Westbrook? If that were to happen, there are some heads that should roll.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby VultureHxC » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:58 am

i go to Baldwin-Wallace. his wife is a cheerleading coach. it's not like she's a teacher or works in administration. she also has a job working for a cheerleading company/school (says this on her BW profile page) so she won't be hard pressed to find a job at any academic level. i don't think the writings on the wall that hafner is gone though i do think it will be difficult to retain him
VultureHxC

Unread postby oldcrow » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:39 pm

A 30 year old DH is nothing I would pay a lot of money to keep.
Pronk's a good hitter, but in today's game a DH that hits .285 with 32 HR's is not that hard to replace. Besides, I'm a firm believer in what George Will has always said...the HR is the most overated thing in baseball. Look throughout history and see where all the teams that were the league leaders in HR's ended up in the standings
Defense, timely htting and pitching is so much more important.
If the tribe cannot afford to keep both CC and Pronk then there is little doubt that they will not even make much of an attempt to keep Pronk in Cleveland.
CC has said he wants to stay in Cleveland and it may not take what he could actually bring in the open market to keep him here.
oldcrow

Unread postby Tribefan24 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:20 pm

we better sign CC before hafner.... Hafner has been garbage this yr and this may be a sign of things to come

always go with pitching... but our owner is cheap and will probably whiff on both !

LETS GO TRIBE !
Tribefan24

Unread postby DarNoor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:17 pm

I agree with that. We need to keep CC. In fact, i wasn't happy they signed Westbrook because i thought they should put that money towards CC.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby Babrook » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:38 pm

DarNoor wrote:I agree with that. We need to keep CC. In fact, i wasn't happy they signed Westbrook because i thought they should put that money towards CC.

Yep. And the fact that Westbrook has been virtually useless since the time of the signing only makes things worse. Also, I watched the Cribs episode of CC. He has about 6 Red Sox jerseys in this house. OH SHI-

(It's his 'Friends', there are also some Tribe and A's Jerseys, but meh).
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby psk678 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:55 pm

Tribefan24 wrote:we better sign CC before hafner.... Hafner has been garbage this yr and this may be a sign of things to come

always go with pitching... but our owner is cheap and will probably whiff on both !

LETS GO TRIBE !

Dude, give me a break. Just because Hafner isn't hitting now doesn't mean we should jump ship and give up on him. He has been one of the most feared hitters the past 3 years. And the guy hits for avg. not just power.

I think people's opinions are skewed on both C.C. and Hafner just after the 60 + games this year. C.C. is Cy Young material and Hafner is in a wicked funk right now.

In the long run, I would want C.C. but I think he's going to want an ungodly amount of money. Especially after what shleps like Lilly and Meche got this past offseason. So our best bet is to go after Hafner and solidify the middle of one of the best lineups in the majors.
psk678

Unread postby The Math God » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:13 pm

Both of them are a moot point til next year.
CC is a priority
Good pitching always gets out good hitting

If there is any money left, give some to Hafner if nothing left, give his spot to Garko and let Blake or somebody else play 1st
The Math God

Unread postby tribefan333 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:39 am

This is usually not my thinking, but if we just resigned Hafner AND Sabathia this off-season (Or today--hopefully today!) I would be happy and content with that off-season. C.C. has truly become our Ace-everyone knows that-and Hafner is our main source of power and a guy that is brutally vital to our offense.

KEEP THEM BOTH, resign them ASAP.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:43 pm

Underwood just reports that the Chisox have pulled Buehrle off the market and are negotiating an extension with him.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Babrook » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:07 pm

Swerb wrote:Underwood just reports that the Chisox have pulled Buehrle off the market and are negotiating an extension with him.

Also reported on Sportscenter.
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:14 pm

Good, I can still hate him with all my heart.....and that's alot.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby livinthesportslife » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:42 pm

Jermaine Dye would definitely be a nice addition to the team, acting as one of those mercenary players who will help us out for half a season and then skip town. I am completely willing to part with some prospects in order to get a solid corner outfielder to help out Victor and Travis. When Travis begins to heat up, and he will, it will be like adding a big bat without having to do anything.

Also, if forced to choose between signing C.C. or Hafner, the choice is obvious: sign C.C. Oldcrow is right, it would not be too difficult finding a replacement for Hafner, or at least someone who comes close to his production. It's just sad because he has become a fan favorite and people won't realize that it was a good decision to keep C.C. (if we can do that). Then even less people will go to the games, and the ushers will still tell me not to move down and sit in the empty seats...I hate that.
livinthesportslife

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:57 pm

Jermaine Dye would be a perfect fit for this team.....but I don't see how the White Sox help us out, other than knowing they may be able to get a couple good young players from us and that it would strictly be a 3 month rental since no way we resign Dye this offseason.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:12 am

livinthesportslife wrote: Then even less people will go to the games, and the ushers will still tell not to move down and sit in the empty seats...I hate that.

I watched an usher pounce on three kids skipping down to the front a couple weeks ago. He looked and acted like he was on a mission to save the world, it was the 5th inning on a slow Monday night. In protest, I did the right thing, waited till he was distracted apprehending another illegal seat squatter , picked up my 7yr old son (hand over his mouth) and scurried downward to the front row like I paid an overpriced ticket service. And for you do-gooders....two hot dogs, two beers, one coke, dippin dots, popcorn, cotton candy, Grady jersey, Large foam Tribe #1 finger, program, and of course the obligatory multiple "speed gun" throws, and pictures with slider, parking, donation to the Stevie Wonder look-alike playing the sax sitting on the curb, tolls, gas.....that comes to about one year's college tuition. Go Tribe!
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby tribefan333 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:00 pm

Couple of nights ago (8 run inning when CC was pitching) something like that occured. 9th inning... 9th inning there were 3 people sitting in the first row behind the Indians dugout. Top of the 9th, no one sitting there, they are not coming back. ONE GUY tries to move 2 rows up just so he can sit there for 10 minutes to see the end of the game, and two ushers come and forcefully move him back. I laughed when they told him "You watch it pal" and then I got a dirty look.

Overkill much?
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB