Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Put Stanford in the pen

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Put Stanford in the pen

Unread postby DGeneral » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:57 am

We need help in the back end of the bullpen. Stanford is out of options.

Either dump Oldberto or Cabrera to open a slot for Stanford or send Mastny down.

The most critical need on this team right now is getting reliable arms in the back end to finish off games. Cabrera or Oldberto aren't cutting it.
DGeneral

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:56 am

Easier said than done.

First off, Stanford has no experience in the bullpen. Secondly, the Indians want to keep Stanford as a starter for depth purposes. As you can see, you can never have enough good starting pitching options.

I'm all for Stanford getting a shot in the bully, but don't think realistically it will happen.

I still believe that Westbrook gets at least one more rehab start, which allows Stanford to get in another start. If Cliff Lee struggles in his next start and Stanford shines, I would hope they option out Lee and keep Stanford in the rotation.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:11 am

Or if Byrd gets lit up again, trade Byrd. That would give us a rotation of CC, Carmona, Westbrook, Stanford and Lee. I wouldn't bring up Westbrook until he has a successful start or two. I mean he struggled at single A. Lee is another one who needs to get his act together, he gives up way to many HR's. All I can say is thank God for what Carmona has become,because if he hadn't we would have been in trouble. I like to believe things happen for a reason. Most of us wanted A. Miller to get a shot before Carmona, if that had happened we would have never discovered Carmona. I hope it's the same thing with Stanford, if Miller was healthy he would've been here and not Stanford, maybe again we are discovering something special and still have Adam Miller and Chuck Lofgren in the wings.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:03 am

If the Indians activate Westbrook without him making another rehab start, I'll go through the roof. He is only up to 70 pitches, and needs to get ramped up to 90-100. I'm not much concerned with the actual performance with the high ERA and WHIP in his three rehab stints, as he is just getting work in and not really setting up hitters and working them. He's throwing, not pitching. All I care about is he is healthy, and that he seems sound mechanically and is up to his 100 or so pitch count.
consigliere

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:13 am

Consigliere wrote:If Cliff Lee struggles in his next start and Stanford shines, I would hope they option out Lee and keep Stanford in the rotation.

The Indians Ink board said that since Lee has three years service time, he'd have to clear waivers even though he has an option left. Do you know if that's true?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:23 am

Hmm. I didn't even think about that as I was just strictly looking at the media guide and going by the option being listed.

I am unsure if that is 100% correct, that he would have to clear waivers to be optioned (I mean, what is the point of optioning him then? Why not just DFA him?). I think there is something else to it, but I am not sure it means he has to clear waivers. I may be wrong. I will try and research that today.
consigliere

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:10 am

I think Stanford gets another start. After that I have no idea what we are going to do because it looks like more and more we are going to lose someone in this equation. Just think though, if Sowers regains himself that's another issue we will have to deal with. Nevertheless this is a good problem to have. If we could move a starting pitcher for bullpen help or a package with a Dellucci or Michael and bring in a better corner outfielder I'd be happy.

All that aside, hat's off to Stanford for the job he did last night. He was fantastic and reminded me of why I liked him in '04 during his first 2 games. Unfortunately with his age and what not I'm not sure he fits into the Tribe's future but I wish him the best of luck.
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Hoover » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:04 pm

Consigliere wrote:If the Indians activate Westbrook without him making another rehab start, I'll go through the roof. He is only up to 70 pitches, and needs to get ramped up to 90-100.

Not only that, he's getting bombed at the Lake County level. They can't find a level where he doesn't get torched. Who's he gonna face next, the Dominican Summer League ? I bet I could hit him the way he's pitching.
Hoover

Unread postby paulcousineau » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:01 pm

The Indians Ink board said that since Lee has three years service time, he'd have to clear waivers even though he has an option left. Do you know if that's true?

I'm hearing that 5 years of MLB service time allows a player to refuse an option. Lee doesn't have that much time accrued yet.

Not a definite, but this is what I think.
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby ArtGold » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:03 am

I think it would be unfair to not give Stanford at least another four starts, and if he does well find another guy to send to the bullpen.

If he struggles, either put him in long relief or wish him the best.
ArtGold

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB