Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Miller sent down for Stanford

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Miller sent down for Stanford

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:13 pm

I just don't understand this. Why Miller instead of Mastny? Am I counting my options wrong?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby paulcousineau » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:20 pm

I think they see Mastny as more of a legitimate threat to be help them in the back end of the bullpen at some point going forward.

If he can right himself, he offers higher upside (NBA Draft term) than the sidearmer.

The argument could be made that the Indians should maximize the number of healthy innings that Miller will throw before he gets hurt again, but I like the Indonesian.
Indians Fever...Be a Believer!
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:22 pm

Strange move indeed.

Yes, Miller and Mastny both have options (Mastny actually has three option years left including this year)......but they called up Miller to pitch in two games? Whn healthy, he is a good relief pitcher, and he is someone we need to find out about.

Worst part, is now if Mastny implodes the next few days we can't bring Miller back up for 10 days. I sort of wish Mastny had given up a couple runs last night now.

ANy case, Mastny needs some time in Buffalo to work through some things, and Miller needs time here to prove himself. Of course, the Indians do the opposite. Is anyone surprised? They always suck with roster management.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:24 pm

The DiaTriber wrote:If he can right himself, he offers higher upside (NBA Draft term) than the sidearmer.

That's the key though, Paul. "If he rights himself."

How 'bout he right himself in Buffalo and when he is done rightin himself come back up? Can we afford to have three bully guys in Mastny, Cabrera, and Oldberto all trying to right themselves at the same time? That's half your bulpen.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:30 pm

If he can right himself, he offers higher upside (NBA Draft term) than the sidearmer.

You mean he has higher upside than the guy that holds opposing hitters to a Mike Rouseish batting average? Not sure that I would agree. Maybe he offers better resistence to injuries, but higher upside I do not buy.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:44 pm

Over the last three years opposing batters have hit .212, .212, and .216 against Miller. Right-handed hitters have hit .201, .188, and .221 over that time span. This guy is poison against right-handed hitters and is a great rally killer when a right-handed hitter is up. Just the guy to bring in when you've got runners on base late in a close game and somebody like Manny Ramirez or Magglio Ordonez is up. Or any right-handed hitter for that matter.

Now that he's finally healthy he's being shipped back to the minors. I don't get it, either. The only thing I can figure is he's 35 years old and only pitched 15 innings last year, then got hurt again in spring training, so they figure it's just a matter of time until he's on the DL again. Still, wouldn't you want to utilize him until he goes down?
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:45 pm

Exactly, if he's only got N healthy innings, why waste any of them in Beefalo?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby paulcousineau » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:01 pm

I guess I'm the only one who was expecting the Miller demotion. Maybe I've seen too much of Miller on the DL and not enough on the mound, but this doesn't upset me that much.

As for the options, in a pinch, I think they can always move Mastny out for Mujica in the next 10 days.

Frankly, the bigger news to me is that Wedge intimated that Stanford would stay in the bullpen after his start and not be DFA'd when Jake came back, as conventional wisdom would dictate.

That would mean 3 LHP (assuming Perez isn't going anywhere) and a possible end of the line for Oldberto.
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby Kuiper » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:12 pm

The DiaTriber wrote:Frankly, the bigger news to me is that Wedge intimated that Stanford would stay in the bullpen after his start and not be DFA'd when Jake came back, as conventional wisdom would dictate.

That would mean 3 LHP (assuming Perez isn't going anywhere) and a possible end of the line for Oldberto.

Where did you see that Stanford might stick around in the bullpen? In this story, Wedge suggests just the opposite by saying he is a starter and wouldn't be moved to the bullpen.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/a ... p&c_id=cle
Kuiper

Unread postby paulcousineau » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:37 pm

My bad.
Skipped the word "unlikely" in the story.

Maybe I'm just plotting the demise of Hernandez any way I can.
paulcousineau
Celebrity

Unread postby Hoover » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:09 pm

Looking over Stanford's stats, it appears he's not a strikeout pitcher. Does he rely on the curve/changeup? Fastball about 90? Have any of you guys seen him pitch, or recall his work with the Tribe a couple of years ago?
Hoover

Unread postby ArtGold » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:37 pm

When I saw him three or four years ago he generally hit 86-88 on the radar gun. He changed speeds a lot, dropping down into the mid 70s. Good at moving the ball around, but I can't really comment as to if he has a plus curve or splitter.

I'm glad for him, maybe the Indians find a way to use him or he can hook up with another club. He deserves to see if he can make major league money for a few years, before his career expires.
ArtGold

Unread postby Kuiper » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:13 pm

Wasn't Stanford the guy who was shot at in the team bus a few years back while wearing knee-high red boots and a cheerleading outfit as some sort of hazing ritual?
Kuiper

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:15 pm

No, that was Kyle Denney.

Stanford pitched great a couple years ago in 2 starts at the beginning of the season, but then was injured and had Tommy John surgery, I think.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby TribeinLA » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:26 pm

he looked sharp tonight and might have been taken out a bit prematurely, but Wedge obviously has no ass kissage with him.

Stanford, though, is not going to be the answer to another starter. I hope that Shapiro gets permsion to go get a high dollar guy. He looked like a sharp Jeremy Sowers or Paul Byrd out there.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:24 pm

I liked Stanford when he was up a few years ago. He gets the job done. Hopefully Westbrook stays down until he can get it together. He was lit up at AAA, AA, and even A ball. He didn't look good in his few starts for Cleveland either. Not sure what is wrong and I have little faith in Willis' ability to fix it.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby ArtGold » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:59 pm

Great start, hopefully he can have a couple more and make the Indians decisions about starting pitching more difficult.

If nothing else, his trade value went up a little today, and a couple more starts would really solidify his trade value. Staying in AAA wouldn't do anything to enhance his value, no matter how he performed.
ArtGold

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:08 am

great game stanford :o

amazing first outing! Tribe for the series win!
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:14 am

To me Stanford is guy that just competes like crazy and that's something that I've always liked about him. I watched him in AA pitch and have always walked away saying, "I don't know how he does it but I'm impressed". Glad he got the chance last night and whether he is in our plans or not I wish him the best and will be rooting for him. (as long as he isn't going against the Indians)
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:28 am

Seven strikeouts in six innings with no walks. Not bad for a guy who doesn't throw heat.

Stanford looks like trade bait to me. We already have CC, Lee, and Sowers, how many left-handed starters can we cram into the rotation. We also have Carmona, Byrd, Westbrook, and Adam Miller on the horizon. Including Stanford that's eight starters going into next season, assuming Miller is ready by then. Something's gotta give. We either trade a couple of these guys or waste them in AAA.

Kind of like Kouzmanoff and Guthrie last year.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB