Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Westbrook knocked around...again

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Westbrook knocked around...again

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:35 pm

Westbrook pitched 5 innings today for Single-A Lake County.....gave up 6 hits, 4 ER, 0 walks and 5 Ks.

In three combined starts at Buffalo, Akron, and Lake County:

0-3, 12.46 ERA, 8.2 IP, 18 H, 12 ER, 4 BB, 8 K
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby cozmeesah » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:37 pm

*cries*

Why does this always happen to us? I just hope he doesn't suck that much when he comes back up or we will be even more screwed than we are now.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:48 pm

He sucked before he went on the DL. I hope this isn't a case of he got his big contract and his determination isn't there.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby BadBecks » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:49 pm

I bumped into ol' Jake's parents at a wedding in Atlanta (the bride grew up next door from him) and they even said "rehab ain't goin' so well y'all"

If even your parents think you are struggling...its safe to say we may be seeing Adam Miller sooner than later (assuming he's getting healthy too)hopefully...
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby DarNoor » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:45 pm

I wasn't impressed with him before he got hurt.
~D~
DarNoor

Re: Westbrook knocked around...again

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:02 am

Consigliere wrote:Westbrook pitched 5 innings today for Single-A Lake County.....gave up 6 hits, 4 ER, 0 walks and 5 Ks.

Read on Indians Ink: 5 of the hits were ground ball singles through the infield: in the opinion of the poster, a big-league infield gets to at least a couple of those. At least his sinker appears to be working, as (IIRC) he had 10 GB and 5 K in 5 IP, meaning zero FB outs. (One hit was a double, but I don't know what kind.)

I'm not really in a big hurry to see Jake return, since I want him to be pitching into October rather than winning an extra game in June (I understand that a game in June may make the difference between playing in mid-October or not, but if he aggravates the injury, he'll lose more games than that). I'd like to see what Stanford's got, and Florida is actually a wonderful first start, in that they blow.

What's the timetable for A-Mill, anyway?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby TribeinLA » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:41 am

Things must be desperate if we are anxious to see Jake return. I, too, was never impressed, although several big league hitters have spoken highly of him.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby Conner_Banks » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:09 am

How many pitches did he throw? If I am not mistaking Wedge said he won't call him up untill het get's 90-95.
Conner_Banks

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:49 am

Yeah, I'm all for giving Jake another two starts at least in the minors. I believe he threw like 70 pitches last night.

Adam Miller just started throwing off th mound a few days ago, is expected to go on a rehab assignment, and be back in the Buffalo rotation by month's end.
consigliere

Unread postby VultureHxC » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:23 am

i was under the assumption that rehab start stats don't really mean much. i thought rehab starts were more to get the pitcher back up to major league conditioning, i.e. pitch count, and just try to keep mechinics in order after an injury. they're aren't necessarily trying to out pitch batters (and a lot of batters in the minors, especially lower levels, don't have much plate discipline so they swing at anything close or at first pitches that may be strikes) but just trying to work out kinks, much like in spring training and regain control and movement on pitches. am i incorrect in this assumption or does it at least have some merit?
VultureHxC

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:36 am

VultureHxC wrote:i was under the assumption that rehab start stats don't really mean much. i thought rehab starts were more to get the pitcher back up to major league conditioning ... am i incorrect in this assumption or does it at least have some merit?

No, you're not incorrect. Absolutely, a rehab start (especially any before the last one) should get a similar amount of weight as a Spring Training start.

I don't think anyone on the board is all that confident when Jake pitches in general, though, rehab or no, and people tend to give weight to those observations that reinforce their notions of how things are.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby VultureHxC » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:51 am

i thought it did have some merit. i think the problem with jake is just that he needs to develop a secondary pitch. i think anyone that has watched him knows that if he has his sinker and is keeping it down, he pitches like a 2 or 3 starter. but when he doesn't have his sinker, he looks like jason johnson. i think the development of one more pitch to keep hitters off that sinker would do wonders for jake. he's not carmona and throwing a mid-90's sinker that dives at the end. he's throwing a mid to high-80's pitch that finds the bottom of the bat and gets put in play. i think adding or improving some type of breaking or offspeed pitch and mixing it in with the sinker would greatly help him. just judging by how quickly he works, i would say a changeup or slider would keep hitters off balance adn they wouldn't be waiting on a flat sinker or one up in the zone
VultureHxC

Unread postby Hoover » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:51 pm

Tonight he only gave up 1 run in 4 innings.

Looks like he's gonna make the start for the Tribe next Sunday.

Damn I hope they don't DFA Stanford.
Hoover

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:50 pm

Its nice to hear that Jake had a solid outing. It was very nice to see that Cliff finally had another good outing.

Let's just hope that Jason pitches well on Tuesday night. If he does there is a much better chance that Shapiro will be able to swing some sort of trade (either Stanford alone or with another role play like Frankie or Choo). If Jason bombs badly, there is a chance that Jason could get through waivers unclaimed.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby tribefan333 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:03 am

I refuse to believe Jake Westbrook could possibly stay this bad. 12+ ERA?

^^^ That's what I was thinking. Hopefully Lee and Byrd pick it up and Jake gets back, Stanford would be some very nice trade bait with Miller and Lofgren still in the minors. Jason could be the key to that corner outfielder we've all been craving.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Wait a Minute

Unread postby ArtGold » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:05 am

Jake gave up 4 walks in 4 innings, and had 4 groundouts vs 5 flyouts.

I'll assume this was due to the minor league umps not giving him strike calls on his diving pitches. I'll assume he elevated some pitches in consideration of their not recognizing his extreme sink, resulting in more flyouts.

Am I overly optimistic here?
ArtGold

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:09 am

Personally, I don't think Jake is ready. I think he could use another start. He only threw 81 pitches tonight too, and wasn't sharp.
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB