Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Sowers to Buffalo, Miller (not Adam) called up

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Sowers to Buffalo, Miller (not Adam) called up

Unread postby Andouble » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:00 am

Andouble

Re: Sowers to Buffalo, Miller (not Adam) called up

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:11 am

Andouble wrote:from the official site
http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/p ... p&c_id=cle

Good move.

Sowers is beyond a mess. Here's hoping he can get it together or get back on roids or watever the problem is.

Jake has GOT to bounce back within 2 more outings or we are in deep kimchee.

THIS is why you don't get cocky nd trade Byrd.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:15 am

Can't say I'm surprised to see Matt Miller recalled.

One thing I haven't heard: who starts in the spot that Sowers vacated (on June 14 in Florida). Any ideas???

I just hope they don't try to use Perez as a starter until Jake is ready.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:39 am

Interesting.

So, this means that on Thurs next week when Sowers spot in the rotation comes up, they will have to option out someone for a starter. It won't be Westbrook.

Looks like Jason Stanford will get the call. Stanford pitched last night, and he would be on normal rest for Thursday's game.

The other option may be Rafael Perez.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:50 am

I'm happy to hear that Thursday would be Stanford's normal spot. I don't want to see Perez for a start or two because that would just get the yo-yo going of rotation/ bullpen/ bullpen/ rotation.

Wasn't it enough that we messed up Danny Baez, Jason Davis and Jeremy Guthrie with that and nearly screwed up Carmona going down that path.

Rafael has done a fine job in the Tribe pen this season and I would be fine leaving out there so we have sonething we could 'count upon' when necessary.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby ArtGold » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:19 pm

Well, I have a feeling it will be Perez taking Sowers spot. But we'll see.

But that is my bet (NOT MY CHOICE!!!).
ArtGold

Unread postby KChmura » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:53 pm

i really dont think it will be stanford. he isnt on the 40 man and if we added him would we be able to demote him w/o him clearing waivers?
KChmura

Favorite Player: Kevin Kouzmanoff
Least Favorite Player: Rafael Betancourt

Unread postby lovsgrady » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:51 pm

I can't really think of anyone who could start. I agree that it might be Perez. didn't he start in Buffalo...I could be wrong. I hate to see Sowers go down, but I know he was doing terribly. He just needs to get his act together. We know he can pitch well, he just needs a break from the majors. I do like seeing Miller back. 8) :cool: 8-)
Why so serious
lovsgrady
Future Mrs. Sizemore

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:25 pm

I believe it will be Stanford. And, I think we are at 39 on the 40-man, so no roster room should be required to be made. Even if so, just DFA Koplove.

It definitely won't be Perez. Wedge was on the radio pre-game today and said so. They love what he has done in the bully.
consigliere

Unread postby ArtGold » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:43 pm

Assuming the Indians are being honest here, and I believe they are, Stanford might make sense in that although he is out of options they could showcase him to other teams for a deadline trade.

If he does well for a couple of starts, perhaps we could get some increased value.
ArtGold

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:49 pm

99% certain it will be Stanford. His next scheduled turn in the rotation is Thursday. With Westbrook not ready, and Adam Miller shelved, the only option is Stanford. Stanford was billed as the #8 starter in ST too (behind Carmona and Miller).

And, I wouldn't be surprised to see this be more than a start or two for Stanford even when Westbrook comes up. Could see Lee go down when Westbrook is activated if Lee continues to struggled and Stanford pitches well.
consigliere

Unread postby DarNoor » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:19 pm

Thios is exactly why you do not trade pitching prospects. You can never have too many pitchers.
~D~
DarNoor

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:09 pm

Had an idea today for Thursday's start in Florida- Sean Smith

Smith is up for 40 man protection anyway and after starting on June 5, he didn't take his normal turn on Sunday. Don't know if they are having him go tonight or tossing bullpens to get ready for us on Thursday.

Smith (if added to the 40 man and brought up to start Thursday) would not need to be waiver to return to Buffalo- just use 1 of the option years he would have gotten and used anyway.

Its just a thought. If it was up to you, who would you use Stanford or Smith??
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby ArtGold » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:13 pm

Stanford, Smith has been hammered for 18 earned runs his past 3 starts, going a total of 16 innings. He has also given up 9 walks with only 5 strikouts in those last 3 starts. That puts his ERA in the 10 range for those starts, though I still think he may have end of rotation major league potential.

He needs to work this out before I give him a major league look.
ArtGold

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:49 pm

Yeah, Stanford all the way. Sean Smith is nowhere close to being ready to pitch in the majors. Stanford is the best option, and most logical one. It also might give us an opp to showcase him for use in a trade.
consigliere

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:03 pm

I have no problem giving Stanford the opportunity to fill-in and showcase his abilities but I ask the following: if Jason performs adequate or better in the two starts, are you willing to send out Cliff Lee when Jake returns??

The only way any real trade interest in Stanford can be generated is if there is a chance that the Cardinals/ Nationals and others cannot simply put in a waiver claim to get him at the end of the month.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:29 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:I have no problem giving Stanford the opportunity to fill-in and showcase his abilities but I ask the following: if Jason performs adequate or better in the two starts, are you willing to send out Cliff Lee when Jake returns??

The only way any real trade interest in Stanford can be generated is if there is a chance that the Cardinals/ Nationals and others cannot simply put in a waiver claim to get him at the end of the month.

If Stanford does well, then yes, you strongly consider optioning out Lee when Westbrook returns. Or, you may have 2-3 good starts to where you can trade him for something. Worst case, you could always put him in the pen if Lee bounces back and Jake is ready to come up.

If Stanford struggles, then no loss. DFA him.
consigliere

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:30 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:I have no problem giving Stanford the opportunity to fill-in and showcase his abilities but I ask the following: if Jason performs adequate or better in the two starts, are you willing to send out Cliff Lee when Jake returns??

The guy with the 6.31 ERA giving up 2 HR per 9 IP? Um ... yes.

I'm not calling for Lee's head, and he actually pitched better in Cincy than he had recently, but I'm for having my five-man rotation include the five best starters, and Lee has an option left. I would like to see Lee rebound and become someone worthy of the slot, but I have no philosophical, universal objection to sending Lee down for a month.

I would rather not, but I certainly am going to stop quite a bit short of "No way!"
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:24 am

Scratch Smith from the list of possibles. He started Monday night and had a no-no through 5 2/3 IP.

Although Smith took the loss, 99 pitches got him through 7 complete innings were he allowed 4 runs on 5 hits, 1 walk and recorded 4 ks.

A nice start and if Smith is starting to turn himself back around, there might be another option if needed down the road.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB