Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Indians interested in Gagne, Riske and others

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Indians interested in Gagne, Riske and others

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:26 pm

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/sports/17346498.htm

Former Los Angeles Dodgers closer Eric Gagne (now with Texas Rangers), also much injured, has been reported as another pitcher drawing interest from Shapiro.

With that in mind, the list of potentially worthy relievers probably will be relatively slim. But there are several worthy of checking out, among them former Indians David Riske of the Royals and left-hander Tom Martin of the Colorado Rockies.

Adding Al Reyes, who has been saving games for the Devil Rays, Shawn Chacon of the Pittsburgh Pirates or Akinori Otsuka of the Rangers would give the Tribe bullpen additional heft.

Most of the relievers likely to be available are not overly pricey. The exceptions: Gagne, who will make $6 million, and Jason Isringhausen, an $8.75 million man. But by the time either of them could land with the Tribe, probably at the end of June at the earliest, only half of their salaries would remain unpaid.

Now, aside from Gagne, the rest seem like speculation by Ocker. But, it does appear Shapiro is trying to strike a deal.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:33 pm

WHAT???? :eek: :o :-o

Why would Mark be looking to bring back a guy that could never stay healthy with the Tribe (Tom Martin) or a guy that Wedge has near zero trust in (Riske)????

Most of the other names I understand having interest in, but those 2 just make me shake my head.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:34 pm

I would have to imagine that the Tigers will be strong competition in any potential deals for bullpen help.

That bullpen is a mess.

Zumaya out. Rodney and Todd Jones struggling mightily. Will Ledezma and Tim Byrdak the two most reliable bullpen arms for them right now.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Hoover » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:49 pm

George Grande, the Reds announcer, said that Shapiro tried to sign Weathers last December.

I wouldn't mind trading for him. He's still effective after all these years. Nice addition to the setup crew.
Hoover

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:37 am

We would probably be able to get Reyes pretty easily. I would imagine Fernando Cabrera and something insignificant could land him. Gagne would be good, but I would much prefer Otsuka. Another guy he is repotedly available is the closer in Colorado, Fuentes. We absolutely need to address the pen. At this point the only ones I keep are Betancourt, Fultz, and Borowski. Matt Miller could take one spot. I guess Rafael Perez could take another, though I'd rather let him start over Lee and Sowers. Roberto needs to go, Mastny back to Buffalo, and Fernando needs a change of scenery and time with a team who can afford to be patient because of no contending pressure.
captain_wahoo

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB