Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Tampa meltdown: paging Mr. Rickel

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Tampa meltdown: paging Mr. Rickel

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:55 am

What the bloody hell happened last night? Y'all blew a 11-6 lead in the ninth as the third reliever walked the three guys he face to force in the 12th run. I mean, that's worse than either Borowski's blowup or Todd Jones'.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:06 pm

Clearly another transplanted northerner who has learned to use "y'all" in writing and speaking.

Most of the D-Rays fans on the radio today (all two of them) have been blaming Joe Maddon for piss poor bullpen management. I didn't watch the game but was astounded to see the D-Rays lose one that I thought they had locked up.

The fans I heard all morning on local sportstalk radio were demanding Maddon's head and telling of how many good, young players he's ruined due to poor management.

I do agree with them in many respects. I don't think Maddon is the right guy for this gig and I don't think he motivates well or adapts to what he has.

Granted, the D-Rays' bullpen is bad. Ours looks fantastic in comparison. The consensus seems to be that Maddon should have gone with Fossum earlier instead of throwing him out in a bad situation. At least he should have stuck with Fossum instead of allowing Corcoran to walk in the winning run.

I hate to say it, but I thank God for Eric Wedge sometimes.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:39 pm

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:Clearly another transplanted northerner who has learned to use "y'all" in writing and speaking.

My wife's a native: she tells me that "y'all" is singular and the plural is "all y'all."
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:18 pm

I'm not a native, but I've been told that y'all is singular and ya'll is plural. They sound the same, so you may need to use a single, moving index finger to indicate where the apostrophe is supposed to go. Though I'm not sure how many of the natives down here know what an apostrophe actually is. Most commonly believe that an apostrophe signals the end of the world.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:17 pm

A transplant Floridian discussing Southern Dialect?

Would any real southerner approve of this?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:42 am

e0y2e3 wrote:A transplant Floridian discussing Southern Dialect?

Would any real southerner approve of this?

Probably not, but there aren't all that many true southerners in Florida. The whole state is full of northern transplants. I'd say probably less than 5% of the people I know down here were actually born here. Even those born here are first generation Floridians; their parents came from up north.

The real ones usually live inland. Ocala's got a lot. I met many when I went to school in Gainesville as well, commuter students from Alachua, Starke, etc. Plenty of natives in the panhandle to where it feels a lot like Alabama (not a bad thing, depending on what you like).
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB