Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Who might be available at the trading deadline?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Who might be available at the trading deadline?

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:36 am

I was thinking about that tonight. Outfield and bullpen are the only places we really need help so far. Our infield has been very good with Blake playing well, Peralta being very good offensively, Barfield being great defensively and in the clutch, and Garko being pretty much Pronk Jr., we're fine there. And the starters have for the most part been solid.

So who might be available at the deadline that can help? By no means is this a complete list, and obviously not every one of these guys will be available, but here's some sort of a list:

Rocco Baldelli/Carl Crawford - They're going to have to trade one of these guys because they've got too many outfielders. Baldelli would be much easier to get, but Crawford is so much better of a player. He'd be very expensive.

Al Reyes - He's been great as a closer for Tampa Bay this year. He may not be too tough to get.

Scott Williamson - One-time great closer for Cinci, injuries have hurt him. But he's still been a pretty decent reliever.

Eric Gagne/Akinori Otsuka - Texas' double-headed closer. Both will probably be available, because Texas is going nowhere and neither will be there in 2 years anyways. Gagne is better, but Otsuka is safer due to Gagne's injury history.

Mark Teixeira - Not as big of a need since Garko has been so good, but any time you have a chance to get a slugger like this, who plays as well defensively as he does, you have to at least take a look.

Troy Glaus - See Mark Teixeira

Sammy Sosa - He doesn't get on base as much, and the average has dipped, but he's still got the power, and he still drives in runs.

Ichiro - Ah. Surprise, surprise. But, if Seattle ends up falling out of it, I think his contract is up at the end of this year. Seattle could try getting something for him now while they can. Not likely, but not completely out of the realm of possibility.

Raul Ibanez - His power has really fallen off this year, but he's still a good hitter and could turn it around. If he does, he could be an asset.

Chad Cordero - The Nats are going nowhere, so they might try to get a package of prospects for their prized closer.

Ryan Church - One time Indian farmhand could be had fairly cheap.

Jason Isringhausen - Very good closer, but getting up there in years. Still having a very nice season. If St. Louis doesn't turn it around fast, you could see them shipping off some of their high-priced vets.

Ryan Franklin - I don't know much about him, but his numbers are great in St. Louis.

Brad Lidge - He's been pretty decent so far this year, but if the Astros are really out of it, he could become available again.

Ken Griffey Jr. - He's been great this season, and the rumors are he'll be moved this year.

Adam Dunn - It's doubtful he'll be available, but if the Reds decide to go into a full-fledged rebuild mode, he might be.

Randy Winn - Probably won't be available, but San Francisco is really old, and they don't have a whole lot of bargaining chips. This is one of them.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:51 am

Would love to have Crawford.
captain_wahoo

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:56 am

Another name to add to the mix: Jason Isringhausen.

Although he has a blanket no-trade, word out of St. Louis this week is the Cards might look to move Izzy to start their rebuild process.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby Hoover » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:14 pm

Jason would sure be a good guy to get, especially given Blowberto and Ferd's troubles.
Hoover

Unread postby tribefan333 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:14 pm

I still believe Ichiro will be available at this trade deadline. He's playing for himself this year if Seattle doesn't win, and I don't see them getting too far, or atlest competing with CLE, BOS, DET, and CHI.

I'd love Adam Dunn. If I'm Shap I'd be looking (meaning priority, looking for these types first) one more true power bat, (dunn hits 40 without breaking a sweat most years) a true leadoff spot to move grady back and get more guys on base for his AB's (Ichiro will be moved, would fit that spot nicely, but that's unlikely) or a true, dominant closer.

Dunn would fit that whole power role pretty well. I'd rather move him to RF and keep the Michaels/Dellucci combo.

Dunn and Ichiro are unlikely, so a blockbuster may not happen but many guys can come in here and contribute.

Mark Tex doesn't excite me...unless we get Tex straight up for Oldberto (I bet that makes Texas vomit in their mouths) Garko is A-OK for me. Unless Garko or Tex would be moved to 3B, that doesn't excite me. Garko's numbers are very impressive, especially at his age (.346, 7 HR).
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:20 pm

I was going to say we need a major-league ready backup to Barfield and Peralta, but I forgot about Luis Rivas down in Buffalo. Not sure why he's down there and Mike Rouse is still in the show.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby ArtGold » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:08 pm

I favor getting either Isringhausen or Reyes. You might be able to obtain them for not very much in prospects. Issy has a little over $4 million coming for the second half of this season plus another $8 million next year, or a $1.25 million buyout. Reyes has very little cost. Of the two, I think the Cards may be more inclined to dump the contract for less in return, because Tampa has little salary risk.

Perhaps a player like Choo/Francisco along with Stanford/Laffey/Martin could get you Isringhausen.
ArtGold

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:09 pm

Rouse (like Cabrera) is out of options as well (that was how we 'stole' him from Oakland last September).
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby ArtGold » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:24 pm

I'd like to try and "steal" someone too, like including Mark Worrell if we can make a deal with St Louis. He isn't that well thought of as a prospect, but keeps making solid relief appearances each year. BA had the Cards minor league talent ranked 23rd, and Worrell was the 24th best prospect in their system, but he keeps getting outs with an unconventional delivery.
ArtGold

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:07 pm

I think Rouse is up because he can play 3rd base, and Rivas can't. That's the only real reason I can think of that he'd be up, aside from lack of options.

And the guy I'm most interested in would be Griffey Jr. I think having him here protecting Hafner and Martinez, playing right field, and possibly giving Grady a day off every so often is very appealing, plus you'd have the added excitement of his chase for 600 HR's, which he should get this year.

The downside with him, obviously, is his tendency to be injured. But with so much deferred salary, I think he's only making about 8 or 9 million this year, so he's even affordable. Don't have a clue what we'd have to give up in terms of prospects though. I'd give up a couple middle-tier guys and maybe one who's close to upper tier.
StewieG

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:01 pm

I was looking through the Prospect Book and the Texas system has a player I would be interested in adding: John Mayberry Jr.

If we could get him along with a reliever for this years pen, I might be willing to include a Chuck Lofgren in a package of other parts (ie Choo and FCab).
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:33 pm

Interesting. Tell me more about this Mayberry guy. I don't know much at all about other teams' minor league's, so I know nothing about him.
StewieG

Unread postby Hoover » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:58 pm

Mayberry's another ex-Stanford guy. He's 23, hit 21 homers last year in A ball, .358 OBP, strikes out a lot.

If he's anything like his dad, he's worth trading for. Senior was a very good power hitter.

We should try to snag Jr. if we can.
Hoover

Unread postby KChmura » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:15 pm

Hoover wrote:Mayberry's another ex-Stanford guy. He's 23, hit 21 homers last year in A ball, .358 OBP, strikes out a lot.

If he's anything like his dad, he's worth trading for. Senior was a very good power hitter.

We should try to snag Jr. if we can.

ill pass on mayberry. he is gonna be 24 this year and is an outfielder!!! we dont need another outfield prospect!!! also he is in High Single A this year and is batting .236. i no he has power but he is less than a year younger then gutierrez and yet hasnt made it out of Single A. this guy looks a little like Goleski to me.
KChmura

Favorite Player: Kevin Kouzmanoff
Least Favorite Player: Rafael Betancourt

Unread postby Mcreek » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:52 am

I would like to find a long term solution to our pathetic corner outfielders. Jason Bay at Pittsburgh and a serviceable reliever like Damaso Marte for some prospects.

If I want to see platoon I will rent the movie but I am tired of these scrubs Jason Michaels, Dellucci and the crippled Trot Nixon masqerading as ML outfielders especially on D.
Mcreek

Unread postby ArtGold » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:28 pm

Sure Mcreek, but would you trade Miller or Lofgren to do this? If not, I'm not sure you could put a package together for Bay.

Our corner outfielders are certainly marginal, but I was thinking that they are waiting for Barton, Crowe or Gutierrez to break through and take over one of the corners, with Michaels and Delucci on the other (contract commitment makes this inevitable).
ArtGold

Unread postby Mcreek » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:45 pm

Art, do you really believe that Wedge will give any of those young outfielders an opportunity? Only way would be if there was an injury as the case was with Ryan Garko and Carmona. The company line these days is that the rebuilding is over and we can't wait on young players to develop (Marte/Brandon Phillips). With that in mind don't be suprised to see some prospects moved for more established vets. In the mean time more of the same with these blue light specials (Dellucci-Nixon-Michaels).
Mcreek

Unread postby ArtGold » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:58 pm

You know my sentiments, you have read them many times before. I would give Francisco a full shot right now, but I agree about the Indians not doing this.

The difference is that they seem to selectively be willing to give a kid a shot. I think that Crowe would be given an opportunity before the others if he gets going. I think it has to do with the cash investment already made in him as a first round pick, while the others haven't been given the big money.

I really think it all boils down to return on investment. If a kid is doing well but didn't cost much money to sign they seem to ignore the performance, but if the kid was expensive they want to see them make it. If you don't believe this is true, take a look at Goleski and Snyder's performance at Akron last season, and who was promoted to Buffalo this season.
ArtGold

Unread postby Conner_Banks » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:16 pm

Here is a name I think could really help. Scott Linebrink. What it might take I wouldn't have a clue. However he cold really help the pen, and maybe even close down the road.
Conner_Banks

Unread postby psk678 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:28 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:I was looking through the Prospect Book and the Texas system has a player I would be interested in adding: John Mayberry Jr.

If we could get him along with a reliever for this years pen, I might be willing to include a Chuck Lofgren in a package of other parts (ie Choo and FCab).

Why in the hell would we make a trade for prospects if we are in the middle of a playoff hunt? If anything we would try and acquire proven vets in exchange for prospects.
psk678

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:14 am

Hey psk, please re-read the quote.

The idea was to get Mayberry IN ADDITION TO getting bullpen help out of Texas.

If your going to rip into someone, having your facts correct goes a long way.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby intenso » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:57 am

The Rangers should be looking to dump in a big way. I'd like to get Otsuka from them. They don't have much else pitching wise that I'd want.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:35 pm

intenso wrote:The Rangers should be looking to dump in a big way. I'd like to get Otsuka from them. They don't have much else pitching wise that I'd want.

C.J. Wilson is pretty good and is pitching very well (1.88 ERA, 1.19 WHIP) this season. I don't know if there's room for a second lefty in the pen, though. :-P

Will Eyre has been pitching well, although this surprises me (2.92 ERA, 1.14 WHIP).

Frank Francisco is a nut, but is also pitching well (3.10 ERA, 1.18 WHIP).

Their rotation frightens children and farm animals. My goodness.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby intenso » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:36 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
intenso wrote:The Rangers should be looking to dump in a big way. I'd like to get Otsuka from them. They don't have much else pitching wise that I'd want.

C.J. Wilson is pretty good and is pitching very well (1.88 ERA, 1.19 WHIP) this season. I don't know if there's room for a second lefty in the pen, though. :-P

Will Eyre has been pitching well, although this surprises me (2.92 ERA, 1.14 WHIP).

Frank Francisco is a nut, but is also pitching well (3.10 ERA, 1.18 WHIP).

Their rotation frightens children and farm animals. My goodness.

You know what it is, I always turn off their horrid games around the fourth inning. ha...
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:54 pm

If we could only make one major deal, I'd go for the stone cold closer. We already have the #1 or #2 offense in the A.L., so a better outfield bat isn't the priority. Sure, more runs never hurts, but Borowski scares the hell out of me. He's doing it with smoke and mirrors so far, and you gotta wonder how long he can keep getting saves with that 7+ ERA. Don't forget, the reason we got him was because he failed another team's physical.

Trade for a real closer and put Borowski in Hernandez's spot. Dump Hernandez. He's done. This way you improve two bullpen spots with one move.

A closer isn't much use on a bad team, unlike a star like Crawford or Griffey that at least can put butts in the seats every day even when the team sucks. You can usually get a closer fairly cheap once his team is out of it, like the Braves last year with that Wickman guy.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:06 pm

Prosecutor wrote:Trade for a real closer and put Borowski in Hernandez's spot. Dump Hernandez. He's done. This way you improve two bullpen spots with one move.

Okay, this confuses me. Borowski has a single skill: he has the mental toughness to get saves. His ERA is worse than Hernandez'. His WHIP and K/9 are better, and his ERA is the product of several ridiculous innings rather than extended badness, but Borowski isn't Actually Good. Borowski is valuable if and only if he is pitching the ninth inning with a small lead. Under no other circumstances is he a valuable player.

This having been said, Oldberto must die.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:21 pm

I'm not saying you're wrong, Steve, but is there any statistical basis for saying that Borowski is ineffective except when he's pitching the 9th with a small lead? You seem to be saying that if he pitches in the 7th or 8th he'll pitch worse, but how do we know? Has he been tried in that role?

On another topic, I don't know how badly we need a left fielder. Jason Michaels is actually hitting lefties very well: .294/.373/.471/.844. He has 12 RBI in 51 at-bats, which projects to 120 RBI over 600 at-bats. He won't get that many, of course, but it shows how productive he has been. He also has drawn 7 walks against lefties.

What is hurting us in left field is Dellucci, who is hitting only .241 with 12 RBI in 145 AB's against right-handers. He doesn't look like the player who hit .292 with and .899 OPS for Philly last year. But in the five years prior to that he never hit higher than .251, so last year may have been a career year for him and now he's regressed to the norm.

A good move might be to trade for Adam Dunn and put him in left every day. Dunn is on pace for 40 HR's and 100 RBI this year, and in the middle of the Indians lineup he should get more opportunities to drive in runs than he's getting in Cincy. Michaels could be moved to right field and platooned with Nixon. Dellucci would be the odd man out.

If Dellucci gets hot and the Reds want half our farm system for Dunn, then forget it. But if Dellucci continues to hit .240 with no power, we really need to make a move. Crawford would be ideal, but Tampa would ask the moon for him.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:31 pm

Prosecutor wrote:I'm not saying you're wrong, Steve, but is there any statistical basis for saying that Borowski is ineffective except when he's pitching the 9th with a small lead? You seem to be saying that if he pitches in the 7th or 8th he'll pitch worse, but how do we know? Has he been tried in that role?

I thought I saw a stat earlier that said in save situations he had like a 2.5 ERA and otherwise had a shit point shitty shit ERA. I'll see if I can look up some splits. Sunday's performance was pretty typical, though.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:36 pm

I looked up a few splits on Borowski:

Pitching on one day of rest opposing batters are hitting .111
Two days - .500
Six days or more - .429

This guy needs to work regularly to be effective.

With nobody on base: .250
Leading off an inning: .278
RISP: .375
RISP, 2 out: .467

Clearly he's more effective with nobody on base than with runners on. If he lets runners get to 2nd or 3rd he's a gas can.

Pitches 1-15: .246
Pitches 16-30: .357
Over 30: 1.000

Either he has it or he doesn't. If he has it he gets out of there quickly. If he doesn't he puts runners on base, throws a lot of pitches, and gets shelled. Most of the time he has it, but when he doesn't it's a disaster.

I'm just saying if we can find a better closer I would try and get him, as long as we don't mortgage the future. Once Boro puts a couple of runners on base he's done. He does not seem to be able to work his way out of jams.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:44 pm

I have nothing to add, but that's a nice post. Thanks.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby ACrank » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:33 pm

Jason Bay isn't going anywhere.
ACrank
Admitted Apologist

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB