Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

L/R lineups

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

L/R lineups

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:06 pm

As per tradition around here...post your favorite L/R lineups. I'm gonna go ahead and include Giambi and Bourne as they'll be back soon (hopefully). So I'll not deal with Nyger or Johnson (who may bump Chiz)

Against RH'ers:

Bourne CF
Swisher 1B
Kipnis 2B
Santana 3B
Brantley LF
Giambi DH
Droobs SS
Murphy RF
Yan C

Against a super tough righty you could sit Yan and swap Chiz in for Santana and have an all-lefty lineup.

Against LH'ers:

Bourne CF
Swisher 1B
Kipnis 2B
Santana DH
Brantley LF
Droobs SS
Rayburn RF
Aviles 3B
Yan C

This is where Johnson may have more value than Chiz as you could put him in LF or 2B and rest Bourne/Kip (Bourne may need it) and slide Dr. Smooth into CF. This is also where they're gonna miss Stubs, but Outman may prove worth it.

These are pretty solid line-ups both ways, but I wish we had a RH'ed power bat to plug in at DH against southpaws. Maybe a trade of Chiz for such a bat would be worthwhile.

I can also see a scenario where Giambi sits on the DL most of the year allowing some flexibility while keeping his intangibles on the bench. Then you could see a rotation at 3rd/C/DH for Chiz and Carlos, while keeping 3 RH'ed super utility guys.

Or you could just be normal and go with a 7 man pen. We get one extra spot because Carlos can play catcher, but you need two if you wanna go 8 man and have Big G on the roster. But we all know how much Tito loves his 8 man pen...
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: L/R lineups

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:03 am

Indians led the league last season with a platoon advantage in 71% of the team's plate appearances. What's amazing about that is that of the 504 plate appearances against RHP for our RF, 94.4% of them came from Raburn, Stubbs, and Carson. The other 5.6% from Kubel and Carrera. Realistically, with Murphy in the fold, the Indians will should easily exceed a platoon advantage in 75% of their plate appearances this season and could get close to 80% with what they can do with the Santana/Gomes/Chisenhall playing time.

Johnson's a switch hitter, another reason why he made the club. A RH DH bat would be nice, but it's not essential by any means. On average, teams face a RH starter 75% of the time, so it's not a pressing need.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:20 pm

The flexibility difference from the end of Hafner's stay to now is startling.

I would sort of like to see more of an get-on-base threat behind Brantley though.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:01 am

skatingtripods wrote: A RH DH bat would be nice, but it's not essential by any means.

How long until last year's First Round Ginger gets a sniff? Isn't he supposed to be an H-bomb in cleats?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:39 am

Erie Warrior wrote:
skatingtripods wrote: A RH DH bat would be nice, but it's not essential by any means.

How long until last year's First Round Ginger gets a sniff? Isn't he supposed to be an H-bomb in cleats?

Al would know better than me, but best-case is probably some time in 2016 and more likely 2017. He's very raw.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB