Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Keri's Over/Unders

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Keri's Over/Unders

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:56 am

Jonah Keri has his annual over under projections at Grantland. He's rating the Indians as his highest confidence wager betting on the over. Here's what he said about the Tribe:

Cleveland Indians: OVER 80.5 wins

That number looks … off, doesn’t it? The Indians surged to 92 wins last year behind one of the most powerful offenses in the league and a young, effective starting rotation. Very little has changed for the worse. While losing Ubaldo Jimenez’s impressive 2013 numbers will hurt, getting a full season from Official 2013 Grantland Crush Danny Salazar and a breakout campaign from fellow right-handed starter Corey Kluber could mitigate that loss. With none of Cleveland’s five projected starters older than 28, there’s upside across the board here.

If you’re looking for an X factor, though, consider something for which the typical projection systems and even Vegas likely won’t properly account: This season, Carlos Santana will no longer be Cleveland’s primary catcher. Whether you’re examining multiyear or single-year numbers, Santana consistently grades out as one of the worst pitch framers in the game. And while analysts are just beginning to quantify the effects of pitch blocking and other defensive skills for catchers, the industry consensus has long been that Santana is a designated hitter who happens to wear a mask. Assuming the Tribe do the right thing by making Santana the everyday DH while handing primary backstop duties to Yan Gomes, who was one of the best receivers in the league last year according to the above metrics, it wouldn’t be a stretch to project something like a two- or three-win improvement based on that move alone. And that might even be understating it. If Gomes’s defensive skills are allowed to flourish over 120-plus starts, it could help push Cleveland’s young staff to elite status this season.

Combine all that with a balanced lineup that will get even better when top shortstop prospect Francisco Lindor reaches the big leagues — and frees up the Indians to consider trading Asdrubal Cabrera to address whatever weaknesses might arise — and it’s really tough to imagine the Indians finishing below .500 … which is what would have to happen to lose this bet. This is my highest-confidence wager for 2014.

http://grantland.com/features/mlb-2014-over-under-bets-yankees-mets-indians-angels/
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Keri's Over/Unders

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:59 am

Anybody who follows me on Twitter knows I've been writing win total analyses for BangTheBook.com. About 2500 words on every team.

I'm biased, but I tried to keep that out of my article on the Indians. The number posted for them sucks. It's horrible. Jimenez and Kazmir were average and below average from April through mid-August. There's no way this team is 12 wins worse just because they're not here.

My other strongest plays are White Sox under, Padres over, Brewers over, Marlins over, Rockies under, and Cardinals over. I try to look for teams with numbers between 65-80 because I think it's extremely hard to peg a team to win 90+. The Cardinals rotation is elite. I like the Tigers over as well, but I seem to be in the minority there.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB