Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Anyone been to Spring Training in AZ before?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Anyone been to Spring Training in AZ before?

Unread postby Doc » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:27 pm

Leaving next Thursday, the 6th, with the girlfriend for a week in AZ and Vegas with Sedona and the Grand Canyon sandwiched in. Have tickets for the Friday game at the Cubs new park and the home game Sunday. Might do the Saturday game at SD, but doubtful.

So, I've never been to AZ. We are staying in Goodyear, heading north after the Sunday game. What is there worth doing in Phoenix (and surrounding areas)? A couple decent dinner options would be nice, and maybe something to do Saturday if we don't go to that game. We will have a car, obviously, and can't decide between the zoo or driving down to Tucson or any number of things. Help there is appreciated.

Finally, re: viewing ST practices...any idea how "open to the public" that might be? I see they start at 9AM, just not sure if you can get into the park area to watch them, or how that works. Would be nice to mix that in Sunday morning before the game. Anyways, I'm excited. Thanks in advance for any tips.
Doc

Favorite Player: Matthew Dellavedova
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bosh

Re: Anyone been to Spring Training in AZ before?

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:13 pm

If you really want to have a blast take the girl tubing. Up near the canyon there's a place called Salt River where you rent tubes(?) and raft down the river. Be sure to bring extra beer and a cooler. You can make a small fortune selling beer as you lazily cruise down the river. It's really a great time.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:35 am

If you're into hiking, it's worth the work to get to the top of Camelback Mountain just for the view. http://www.summitpost.org/camelback-mountain/151297
If you would rather drive to a view, getting to the top of South Mountain is a bit like Mr. Toad's wild ride, but you hold your breath for just a little while.
The Desert Botanical Garden is pretty neat for all the strange plants.
Only restaurant I remember was one visited back in 1999 - The Stockyards. It was very good but pricey. I just checked the reviews on Yelp (4 stars, 96 reviews) and their menu (yup, very pricey).
While in Sedona, check out the Church in the Rock whether you're religious or not. Really a neat building from an architectural sense.
Have fun. We haven't make it to Goodyear yet, but we did get to Winter Haven a couple times.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby Doc » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:49 am

Tubing actually sounds great. I almost wish we had another day in Sedona instead of 3 in Vegas. Oh well. I think we will try zoo or botanical gardens, but going up the mountain sounds fun. Thanks.
Doc

Unread postby Doc » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:54 am

Tubing might not be till later in the year. Boo.
Doc

Unread postby gotribe31 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:55 pm

I go every year. I'm pretty much exclusively there for the baseball though, so won't be able to give you much insight on the other stuff.

The team takes BP at the main practice field before every home game. You can get down the 3B line towards the dugout area, and the players will usually stop and sign autographs on their way to/from the field if that's your thing. Plenty of HR balls to go around for the kids too, most kids that are there will walk away with 5-6 baseballs.

If you park over by the MLB practice field and walk over, it's free. $5 to park by the main field, and you're only a couple hundred yards closer.

Past the main practice field there's a cluster of 4 minor league fields. You can get to the "stands" for 2 of the fields, and can usually see what is the AAA and low-A fields for MiLB games. Those are sparsely attended but fun too. Tons of foul balls and you can get right up to the fence and listen to coaches, players etc. That's more fun for me than some others, but you should at least stop down. Plus, it's free!

Enjoy, and shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Doc » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:05 pm

Thanks sir. I will pm you later. Thanks. .
Doc

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:40 pm

Doc wrote:Tubing might not be till later in the year. Boo.

Yes, I realize this is not tubing season. We did it in August and it was 100 degrees out so the water was refreshing. Too cold right now.

It really was fun though. Lots of cute girls. Lots.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB