Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

The 2007 amature draft

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

The 2007 amature draft

Unread postby intenso » Tue May 29, 2007 8:54 am

The draft isn't for another 2 weeks but I noticed that Ryan Miller, a draft-and-follow, just signed with the Tribe.

LHP
2007, Blinn Junior College: 93.2 innings, 24 runs, 21 earned runs, 65 hits, 115 strikeouts, 48 walks, 2.02 ERA, 9-0
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby pup » Tue May 29, 2007 9:15 am

Any idea what round they took him in last year?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby KChmura » Tue May 29, 2007 9:28 am

like 36th
KChmura

Favorite Player: Kevin Kouzmanoff
Least Favorite Player: Rafael Betancourt

Unread postby consigliere » Tue May 29, 2007 1:07 pm

Indians also signed outfielder Justin Jenkins of West Virginia, catcher Osiel Flores of Texas Pan America and right-hander Travis Turek of Los Angeles Pierce College. Jenkins and Flores were 5th year signings.....and Turek was another guy taken in last year's draft (48th round).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby intenso » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:16 am

So who do you guys want to see the Indians take with that 13th overall pick?
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:36 am

A good player.
:-) :smile: :)

Seriously, I have no idea. I just don't have the time to follow all the pre-draft coverage like I want to.....so I will just wait to see who they pick, compare it to some of the players taken shortly after they pick, and go from there. 99.9999% of us have never seen any of these kids play, compared to the NFL and NBA Draft where most of us have seen the players play many times and are very familiar with at least the first round guys.

Indians should pick somewhere around 3:00.
consigliere

Unread postby KChmura » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:45 am

Baseball american has us picking Blake Beavan. Beavan is a high school pitcher. I would be happy with this pick b/c i wanna go high school early round unlike last year.
KChmura

Unread postby intenso » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:18 am

intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby ArtGold » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:29 am

My vote is for Beavan, and has been for the past month.
ArtGold

Unread postby KChmura » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:09 pm

this is hilarious they have the projected first couple picks at the thing like the nfl... i wonder if they get a jersey with #1 on it?
KChmura

Unread postby intenso » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:56 pm

Matt LaPorta to the Brewers at 7, weird pick. Going to throw off all the projections.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby intenso » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:22 pm

intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby KChmura » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:23 pm

wow mills dropped to us.
KChmura

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:23 pm

Round Overall Player Position School State
1 13 Beau Mills 3b/1b Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) ID

Scouts are trained to focus on the process--the how--rather than the results. In Mills' case, though, the results must be mentioned. After two years at Fresno State when he hit 36 home runs, Mills transferred to NAIA Lewis-Clark State. Fresno State suspended him due to academic shortcomings in 2006, and Mills decided to join LCSC after playing for coach Ed Cheff in the summer in the Alaska League. He led the league in home runs (seven) and RBIs (33). The son of ex-big leaguer Brad Mills--now the Red Sox' bench coach--has proceeded to dominate inferior competition. He hit his school-record 31st home run in LCSC's 54th game, and his on-base plus slugging percentage was approaching 1.600. Mills generates well-above-average power thanks to a leveraged, balanced swing and excellent strength; the ball jumps off his bat to all fields. Defense is another matter. A shoulder injury limited him to DH last summer, and Mills' arm is still a bit tight (leading to more DH appearances) and grades as below-average. He works hard at his defense, and his hands and footwork could make him a fringe-average third baseman eventually, though most scouts believe he'll be below-average. His bat should play at first base, but it would play even better at third. In a year with few impact college bats, Mills stands out and figures to go high, no matter which infield corner he plays.
consigliere

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:28 pm

:eek: :o :-o

Mills?????
A college hitter.

Sorry, I guess I had preped myself for a high school pitcher to be taken.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:32 pm

Interesting writeup at MiLB.com on him as linked above.

But, this made caught my eye:

Mills is a big, left-handed hitting prospect. He draws a bit of a comparision to Scott Spiezio.

Scott Spiezio? Good Lord, can't they find a better comp for a "big, left-handed hitting prospect? :roll :roll:
consigliere

Unread postby KChmura » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:38 pm

mills will be good. he obviously seems like a usualy tribe prospect i nthe fact that he hits good with struggling defense. im happy about this pick even though i would of taken a high school pitcher.
KChmura

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:53 pm

I would have rather wanted a pitcher because you can never have enough arms but if the Tribe had him as their highest rated player when they selected then I'm on board with their judgement.
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:53 pm

Guys on Scout.com are going apeshit over the pick. People hate it. From what I understand, experts like BA's Jim Callis and BPro's Keith Law love the pick...but just about everyone on Scout.com boards is having a coronary over it. I just don't get so worked up over MLB draft picks, as like I said earlier people base opinions almost 100% based on what they have read as they have never seen these guys EVER play.

I'll wait to see him play before I make a judgement on him.

Funny thing, too, is people are paying homage to Buff's "Fire Eric Wedge" mantra in the B-List. A few people have said that "if you follow the B-List you know about the Fire Eric Wedge mantra...maybe we should start a Fire John Mirabelli one".
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:55 pm

You know, when you look at the Indians farm system, it is a well rounded system and deep. Their biggest depth is pitching....but what is the ONE thing this system lacks?

An impact bat.

So, I can see where this pick makes some sense.
consigliere

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:58 pm

Looks like a good pick to me. He seems like a fairly polished hitter who won't need to stay in the minos for years. I'd guess we'd look at him at 1B and could use him as trade bait down the line if Garko continues to do well and develops some more power.

Time will tell.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:00 pm

Per Mirabelli, he will play 1B.
consigliere

Unread postby Greener » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:02 pm

Tony,
Since he already has college experience, where do you see him starting out at in our farm system?

Green
Greener

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from U of M

Unread postby Crash Davis » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:05 pm

Quote:
Mills is a big, left-handed hitting prospect. He draws a bit of a comparision to Scott Spiezio.

Possible insurance in case Hafner isn't re-signed?
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby Greener » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:07 pm

Most of you, I am sure, have already read this on ESPN.com. But for those of you, who have not:

13 Cleveland Indians Beau Mills 3B/1B Lewis-Clark State
This is an outstanding pick for the Indians, which is probably surprised he dropped to them. He's a tremendous power hitter, but his position is a question, although he could work out as a DH. He's clearly not a third baseman. He's the first guy from a non-Division I school, and in fact, it's an NAIA school. But it's one that has produced a lot of talent, and Mills is the latest example.
Greener

Favorite Player: Bernie Kosar
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from U of M

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:12 pm

Provided he signs, I think he will start in Lake County and spend most of the season there. If he plays well, he could get a cup of coffee in Kinston.

If he performs as projected, I'd have to bet the plan is LC and some Kinston in 2007....half the year in Kinston and Akron in 2008. Half the year in Akron and Buffalo in 2009.....to where he could be part of the Indians sometime mid-2009 but more likely the start of 2010.

And no, I don't see this as protection for possibly leaving Hafner. These draft picks have 2-3 years before they even GET to the majors. Hafner could leave after next season, a season where Mills probably gets the majority of his ABs in Kinston.
consigliere

Beau Mills

Unread postby ArtGold » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:22 pm

The fact that he is no better than a mediocre 1st baseman and a likely DH make the pick difficult for me to understand. His writeup is almost identical to what I read about Tim Costo when the Indians drafted him with their first pick 17 years ago.

But, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment, although I am really disappointed we didn't go with a HS pitcher.

Sickels write up about Mills a few days ago:

"With a relative shortage of top college hitters this year, Beau Mills stands out. He was a very good hitter at Fresno State his first two years, but transferred to the smaller pond of Lewis-Clark State this year and put up monstrous numbers: .458/.556/1.033, with 38 homers, 22 doubles, 123 RBI, 43 walks, and 22 strikeouts in 240 at-bats. His OPS was 1.589. The combined OPS of the games in which he played was about .797...a crude estimate would put his OPS+ at 199. Basically he was so much better than his teammates or the competition that the numbers move into the ridiculous category. Imagine Albert Pujols playing in the Pioneer League.

Scouts are certain that Mills' power is for real and that he'll continue to hit for plus power at higher levels. He's got solid plate discipline. There's some doubt about what his batting average is going to look like, but he should post a solid OBP no matter what to go with his power. The main issue is defense. Shoulder problems have limited his arm strength, and he doesn't have a lot of mobility. He'll probably end up at first base eventually."

I want to add a caution however, that his batting average was not too high in the 2006 Alaska Summer League, considered inferior to the Cape Cod Summer League:

http://www.alaskan-legacies.com/alaskab ... s_2006.htm
ArtGold

Unread postby Hoover » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:17 pm

Mills is a good choice. Pitchers are often too iffy. You could fill a room with highly touted prospects who never made the Tribe or were ineffective once they joined the team. Serious arm injuries have sidelined a lot of our prospects in recent years. As BPro likes to say, "prospect=suspect" when it comes to many minor league and/or high school pitchers.

I'd much rather have a slugger who is likely to make an impact down the road. He will come in especially handy if Pronk leaves.
Hoover

Unread postby Babrook » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:27 pm

Did I hear correctly when Gammons said Pronk turned down a 5 year, 60 million dollar contract?
Babrook
Brendan Donnelly Groupie

Favorite Player: Fausto Carmona
Least Favorite Player: Gary Sheffield

Beau Mills

Unread postby ArtGold » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:52 pm

At best, I view Mills as Jose Cruz without the speed or defense. His batting average in Alaska at the summer league was .270, not in the top 20. His batting average at Fresno State as a soph didn't crack the NCAA top 100.

NAIA is a very low league, below Div I, II and III. You need to keep this in mind when viewing this year's performance. How many small college star hitters have played in the majors the past few decades?
ArtGold

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:47 pm

Finally got to watch the draft as I Tivoed it. Just watched the Indians selection and talk.

Yes, Gammons just said that Hafner turned down 5/60.

Also, Mills swing reminds me of Brian Giles.
consigliere

Unread postby captain_wahoo » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:25 pm

I f that greedy Pronk turned down 5 years 60 million...e is gone, there is no way they will resign him. Use that money and more to resign CC and trade Pronk for more pitching (both starting and relief).
captain_wahoo

Unread postby tribetalk » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:32 pm

I don't think its the fact that Pronk is greedy; he is really a huge impact bat in our lineup which brings people to the park and is worth more than $12 million; in the agents eyes. Hafner doesn't want this to bother him during the season; things may look better this offseason if he does only hit .280 with 35 homers and 100 rbi's.

Secondly, I don't think they will rush Mills really quick. Youngstown's Mahoning Valley begins around June 18th or so and he could start there. Last year, Trevor Crowe waited over a week and a half before making his debut as a Scrapper.

Third, if Hafner does not resign; Mills may be the guy you call up as a DH; especially if those outrageous hitting numbers continue.
tribetalk

Favorite Player: Carlos Santana
Least Favorite Player: Lou Marson

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:38 pm

Indians two other picks on the day:

4 137 CLE Timothy McFarland lhp AA Stagg School IL

T.J. McFarland has surged late in the spring. A 6-foot-3, 190-pound lefthander, he started touching 90 mph regularly with his fastball in April, and figured to be a fifth- to seventh-round pick. In his last two starts, he sat at 91-92 mph and touched 93. He could go as high as the second or third round and now figures to be signable despite a commitment to the Missouri. That's a far cry from where McFarland stood last spring, when he had a sore elbow and the initial diagnosis was that he'd need Tommy John surgery. A second opinion resulted in a diagnosis of tendinitis and he avoided surgery. McFarland’s delivery is a little awkward, but he also has a curveball he can throw for strikes.

5 167 CLE Jonathan Holt rhp Tampa FL

Tampa's closer, Holt may have quietly pitched his way into the top three rounds of the draft. His fastball command is among the best in the draft. He had not carved out a defined role with Tampa before this season, but he compiled a 60-4 strikeout-walk ratio and was dependable out of the bullpen all season. He tops out at 91 mph and pitches at 88, but his fastball has heavy sink and armside run. He alters his arm slot, working from a three-quarters release point down to almost sidearm, but he pounds the outer half of the plate no matter which angle he throws from. His changeup and slider are fringy pitches, though his changeup has enough deception to serve as a usable offering against lefthanded hitters.
consigliere

Unread postby intenso » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:05 pm

7th round pick was Allan St. Clair out of Rice.

8th round pick was another kid out of Lewis and Clark!

9th round pick Adam White out of WVU.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:15 pm

BA's Jim Callis:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/mi ... 64237.html

For a team that didn't have second- or third-round picks, the Indians did very well. At No. 13, they grabbed the best college hitter in the draft, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) third baseman Beau Mills. Then in the fourth round, they grabbed fast-rising Illinois prep lefthander T.J. McFarland. He's projectable and started throwing 91-93 mph in May, so I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did.

ESPN/BPro's Keith Law:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2007 ... id=2896488

13 Cleveland Indians Beau Mills 3B/1B Lewis-Clark State
This is an outstanding pick for the Indians, who are probably surprised he dropped to them. He's a tremendous power hitter, but his position is a question, although he could work out as a DH. He's clearly not a third baseman. He's the first guy from a non-Division I school, and in fact, it's an NAIA school. But it's one that has produced a lot of talent, and Mills is the latest example.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:19 pm

Draft is done....

1 13 Beau Mills 3b/1b Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) College ID
4 137 Timothy McFarland lhp Stagg HS, Orland Park, Ill. IL
5 167 Jonathan Holt rhp Tampa FL
6 197 Bo Greenwell of Riverdale HS, Fort Myers, Fla. FL
7 227 Cole St.Clair lhp Rice TX
8 257 Mark Thompson ss Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) College ID
9 287 Adam White of West Virginia WV
10 317 Brandon Taylor lhp Oklahoma OK
11 347 Matt Hague of/rhp Washington WA
12 377 Garrison Campfield rhp Texas A&M TX
13 407 Matt Brown of Wichita State KS
14 437 Daniel Morales rhp San Francisco CA
15 467 Chris Jones lhp Gaither HS, Tampa FL
16 497 Doug Hogan c Clemson SC
17 527 Miles Morgan rhp Texas Tech TX
18 557 Kyle Landis rhp Pittsburgh PA
19 587 Bobby Coyle of Chatsworth (Calif.) HS CA
20 617 Jeffrey Hehr ss Eastern Michigan MI
21 647 Jared Clark of/rhp Cal State Fullerton CA
22 677 Stihl Sowers rhp North Lenoir HS, Wheat Swamp, N.C. NC
23 707 Shaeffer Hall lhp Jefferson (Mo.) JC MO
24 737 Adam Zornes c Rice TX
25 767 Kyle Leiendecker lhp Homestead HS, Fort Wayne, Ind. IN
26 797 Michael Valadez c Lee Univ. TN
27 827 Daniel Edwards rhp Kansas State KS
28 857 Scott Savastano 3b/ss Franklin Pierce NH
29 887 Garrett Rieck lhp Cal State Chico CA
30 917 Bryce Brentz rhp South Doyle HS, Knoxville, Tenn. TN
31 947 Jason Hessler rhp St. Joseph's PA
32 976 Joey Mahalic rhp/3b Wilson HS, Portland, Ore. OR
33 1005 Tyler Kuhn 3b/ss West Virginia WV
34 1034 Josh Judy rhp Indiana Institute of Tech IN
35 1063 Brian Juhl c Stanford CA
36 1092 P.J. Zocchi rhp Clemson SC
37 1120 Dean Kiekhefer lhp Oldham County HS KY
38 1148 Johnny Williams rhp Tampa FL
39 1176 Eric Jokisch lhp Virginia HS, Bristol, Va. VA
40 1204 Dallas Cawiezell rhp Valparaiso IN
41 1230 Thomas Luce rhp Seminole State JC OK
42 1256 Bryce Tafelski c Santa Ynez HS CA
43 1281 Travis Howell c Long Beach State CA
44 1308 Ryan Royster of UC Davis CA
45 1334 Dan Evatt of Grapevine (Texas) HS TX
46 1358 Brock Simpson of Kansas KS
47 1381 Kevin Rucker of Pioneer Valley HS CA
48 1402 Walter Diaz ss Miami (Fla.) FL
49 1423 Matthew Willard ss Arkansas AR
50 1444 Doug Pickens c Michigan MI

Greenwell is the son of former Red Sox outfielder Mike Greenwell.

Sowers already said he is 99.9% certain he is going to college (ECU) unless he is wowed by the Indians with a financial offer. He wants $250K plus 4-year education expenses paid for....his slot calls for 40-50K. He ain't signin.
consigliere

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:23 pm

Some info on some picks:

Bo Greenwell
Greenwell is the son of former major leaguer Mike, but his best sport has been football throughout his high school career, and he opted to skip the showcase circuit. He quietly played his way into consideration as a first-day draft choice thanks to his solid-average tool set that plays up because of great instincts and a passion for the game that endears him to scouts. He's been compared with Mark Kotsay and has a chance to remain in center field, with 60 speed on the 20-to-80 scale. He had surgery on his left knee as an underclassman. He has committed to Miami on a baseball scholarship.

Cole St. Clair
Like Joe Savery, St.Clair is a Rice lefthander who has been tough to get a handle on because he has been less than 100 percent physically. He impressed scouts last summer with Team USA, going 4-0, 0.69 with three saves while displaying a 91-94 mph fastball and a plus curveball. His size (6-foot-5, 225 pounds) is another plus. But he strained his shoulder lifting weights shortly before this season began and missed the first two months. St.Clair's stuff has looked good when he has taken the mound, as he has worked at 90-92 mph and flashed a good curve. Yet he had pitched just 11 innings in five weeks and he's a reliever, so scouts had trouble catching him in action. When healthy, St.Clair has been more dominant than Savery. Several clubs believe he has enough stuff to start in pro ball, a transition he wants to make. St.Clair was a potential top 10 pick coming into 2007, and he could vault back into the first round if he shows teams he's healthy. If that happens, he'd be the second member of Foothill High's (Santa Ana, Calif.) 2004 pitching staff to go in the first round, joining Phil Hughes of the Yankees. If he drops too far, signing him away from his senior season at Rice could become an issue.

Matt Brown
Brown had a great summer with wood bats in 2006, ranking as the top position-player prospect in the Jayhawk League after leading the league in homers (nine) and RBIs (36) while finishing third in the batting race (.385). He offers one of the best all-around packages among college position players in this draft, showing all five tools when he's at his best. He's a 6-foot-1, 190-pound right fielder with bat speed, foot speed and arm strength, and he draws praise for playing hard every day. That all-out approach carries over to the plate, however, and can work against him. He has a long, maximum-effort stroke that leaves him susceptible to pitchers who change speeds. Some scouts worry about how that approach will play in pro ball, but a club that believes it can tone him down at the plate could pop him as early as the third round.
consigliere

Unread postby tribetalk » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:22 pm

Like I had said: Beau Mills, First-round pick, to begin career at Class A Mahoning Valley!!

I WILL BE THERE!
tribetalk

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:28 pm

Is Sowers any relation to Jeremy? Excuse my ignorance on that.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Andouble » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:30 pm

tribetalk wrote:Like I had said: Beau Mills, First-round pick, to begin career at Class A Mahoning Valley!!

I WILL BE THERE!

Actually, he's starting in Lake County
Andouble

Unread postby tribetalk » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:24 pm

Andouble wrote:
tribetalk wrote:Like I had said: Beau Mills, First-round pick, to begin career at Class A Mahoning Valley!!

I WILL BE THERE!

Actually, he's starting in Lake County

Actually your Wrong!

Link: http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/a ... p&c_id=cle

First-round pick to begin career at Class A Mahoning Valley....... it may just be for 1-2 weeks; but like Trevor Crowe and CC Sabathia; he is beginning out here in Youngstown!!!
tribetalk

Unread postby pup » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:09 am

Mills did sat last night during the game he was heading straight to Lake County, but I had heard he was starting in Y-town.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:11 am

Mills is starting at Mahoning Valley, but only for a week and then going to Lake County. So see him while you can in The Valley.
consigliere

Unread postby tribetalk » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:43 am

Consigliere wrote:Mills is starting at Mahoning Valley, but only for a week and then going to Lake County. So see him while you can in The Valley.

Very similar to Crowe. Crowe was in Youngstown for about a week before moving up to Lake County. This is a great addition to the Scrappers Opening Week roster and should bring more fans to the games to see this kid hit!
tribetalk

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:55 pm

Some info on Mills:

- Mills will start at Mahoning Valley on June 19th and strictly DH.
- We will only be in MV for a week, as he is scheduled to move out on June 26th and join Lake County effective June 27th.
- He'll play 1B and DH at Lake County.
- 3B has not been abandoned.
- In Instructional League this fall he will get some work in left field.

By the way, when he goes to LC on the 27th, I would have to believe that is when Whitney will be moved up to Kinston.
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB