Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Are we done dealing this preseason?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Are we done dealing this preseason?

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:53 am

Or does Shapiro make another move to solidify the lineup?

If the roster is untouched, this is my guess at the Tribe's everyday lineup:

Sizemore CF
Michaels LF
Peralta SS
Hafner DH
Martinez C
Belliard 2B
Broussard 1B
Blake RF
Boone 3B

Obviously, the weak spots are RF, 1B, and 3B. At 1B, Ben will get the majority of the starts, supposedly being platooned with Perez. Garko will start out in AAA, and then make the move to the bigs, hopefully taking over the platoon by the end of 06. I could see Ben being moved at some point during the season if Garko impresses. Boone is at 3B, until he gorks and/or Marte is ready to take over. Those positions won't be traded for, as we have young players in system who should take over at some point this season.

That is why if Shapiro makes another move prior to opening day, it will be for a starting RF. I have a feeling that the Tribe brass really wants an upgrade there, to start the season. Remember, they tried to sign Brian Giles earlier this offseason.

Some players that have been bantered about:

Craig Wilson PIT

Austin Kerns CIN

Kevin Mench TEX

Wishful thinking from a dillusional fan:

Manny Ramirez BOS
- By not showing up to ST, he obviously has written his ticket out of Beantown. Theo and Mark are probably on the phone now, hammering out details for a trade. :wink:
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Re: Are we done dealing this preseason?

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:59 pm

Lebowski wrote:Or does Shapiro make another move to solidify the lineup?

Depends on what you consider dealing. They Indians almost for sure will make some sort of Spring Training deal to create a roster spot for someone not on the 40-man who needs to be added if they make the 25-man roster (i.e. Hollandsworth, Diaz, Francisco, etc). So, you'll see some sort of minor deal (like Bartosh last year). I see one of Vazquez or Phillips being sent away in a trade at the end of Spring.

As for any major deal....nah, I think we are pretty much done until June/July.

If the roster is untouched, this is my guess at the Tribe's everyday lineup:

Sizemore CF
Michaels LF
Peralta SS
Hafner DH
Martinez C
Belliard 2B
Broussard 1B
Blake RF
Boone 3B

That's exactly how it should look, at least against RHers.

Obviously, the weak spots are RF, 1B, and 3B. At 1B, Ben will get the majority of the starts, supposedly being platooned with Perez. Garko will start out in AAA, and then make the move to the bigs, hopefully taking over the platoon by the end of 06. I could see Ben being moved at some point during the season if Garko impresses. Boone is at 3B, until he gorks and/or Marte is ready to take over. Those positions won't be traded for, as we have young players in system who should take over at some point this season.

Yeah, I don't see them making any sort of significant trade for a 1B or 3B. They have options in the minors at both spots that are major league ready and impact caliber bats.

RF is the big question mark. I don't see them taking on a big contract in a trade that goes beyond this season, but I think at some point this season the Indians will make a deal for a good high-priced player in the last year of his deal to fill that RF void.

That is why if Shapiro makes another move prior to opening day, it will be for a starting RF. I have a feeling that the Tribe brass really wants an upgrade there, to start the season. Remember, they tried to sign Brian Giles earlier this offseason.

Shapiro isn't stupid. He went after Giles and Nomar this offseason to play RF, so he CLEARLY knows this is a problem area. With that, I think they see how Blake looks in ST.....and maybe wait until the end of ST to find that RFer (Craig Wilson? Kearns?) and get him at a cheaper price at the end of Spring than they would have to pay now.

Some players that have been bantered about:

Craig Wilson PIT

Austin Kerns CIN

Kevin Mench TEX

Wishful thinking from a dillusional fan:

Manny Ramirez BOS
- By not showing up to ST, he obviously has written his ticket out of Beantown. Theo and Mark are probably on the phone now, hammering out details for a trade. :wink:

Ramirez is a perfect fit for this team as far as what it needs: a big upgrade in RF/LF. He'd fit in nicely between Hafner and Martinez in the lineup, and would move Peralta to 6th.

But I just don't see Ramirez being attainable unless Boston pays like half the remaining 3 years of his deal AND Boston only takes prospects.

Boston may pay some salary, but they AIN'T taking prospects. They'll want established players in return.....probably a package something along the lines of Peralta, Cliff Lee and whatever prospect. No thanks.

Now, one thing to maybe hope for is the Red Sox flat out implode this year. They are a lot like the Indians after 2001, a team close to its sell by date and in need of an overhaul. If they suck come July, they just may send Ramirez packing to a team for prospects. If that happens, I would think the Indians are serious bidders.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:48 pm

Now, one thing to maybe hope for is the Red Sox flat out implode this year. They are a lot like the Indians after 2001, a team close to its sell by date and in need of an overhaul. If they suck come July, they just may send Ramirez packing to a team for prospects. If that happens, I would think the Indians are serious bidders.

Interesting point. I just wonder how likely it is that Boston sucks hind tit this season. IMO, their offense carries a below average staff and shitty pen again. Of course, the Yanks will contend and the Jays are (supposedly) improved, so maybe they get beat up in their division.

To speculate, I wonder what Shapiro would be willing to give up and what Theo would be willing to accept. It is obvious that Theo is/was willing to accept something less than fair value for Manny. If not prospects, what about MLB ready prospects? IMO, we have guys that will start in Buffalo that could start for many MLB teams this season.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:09 pm

Lebowski wrote:Interesting point. I just wonder how likely it is that Boston sucks hind tit this season. IMO, their offense carries a below average staff and shitty pen again. Of course, the Yanks will contend and the Jays are (supposedly) improved, so maybe they get beat up in their division.

Maybe I am totally missing something, or I am just using wishful thinking here....but I think this is the year age catches up with Boston in that they end up below .500.

To speculate, I wonder what Shapiro would be willing to give up and what Theo would be willing to accept. It is obvious that Theo is/was willing to accept something less than fair value for Manny. If not prospects, what about MLB ready prospects? IMO, we have guys that will start in Buffalo that could start for many MLB teams this season.

The problem I see is the Indians may not have a big-time position player ready to break into the bigs, like say the Angels could trade off (Brandon Wood, Kotchman, Kedrick, etc). I would think for the Indians would have to include Sowers in there somewhere.....as well as at least 2 other premium players, but as mentioned above, our premium guys are just well rounded players and not necessarily future stars.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Maybe I am totally missing something, or I am just using wishful thinking here....but I think this is the year age catches up with Boston in that they end up below .500.

Definately plausible.

A lot hinges on their pitching...Red Sox Nation seems to be holding to the hope that Schilling will come back from injury, that Foulke doesn't suck like he did in 05, and so on...

I hope you're right...God I hate the chowd heads.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB