Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Handicapping the race

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Handicapping the race

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:36 pm

1. Rays 86-69, +0.5 GB- 7 games left, 1 vs. BAL, 3 at NYY, 3 at TOR.
2. Tribe 86-70, 0 GB- 6 games left, 2 vs. CWS, 4 at MIN
3. Rangers 84-71, 1.5 GB- 7 games left, 3 vs. HOU, 4 vs. LAA

For home field, Tribe have the tiebreaker over Texas but not over Tampa (Texas has it over Tampa). If there's a 3 way tie, the Tribe have the best round robin record (7-5) followed by Tampa (7-6) and Texas (5-8). If that happened, the Tribe would get to choose their designation and assuming they know how to do so correctly, they'd host whoever doesn't choose the 2 road game path(Tampa would have to choose between 1 home game or 2 road games) with the winner getting one wild card spot and the loser of that game having to go to the 1 home game path team to play and determine the other wild card spot. Basically, they have a 3 team mini bracket to eliminate one team. Then after all of that, the actual wild card game would be played (I'm assuming it then just reverts back to the two team head-to-head tiebreaker to see who hosts it).

I say the Rays go 90-72 and Rangers go 89-73. 3-3 for the Tribe to tie for the last spot, 4-2 to tie Tampa (but have to go there), and 5-1 to host the wild card game.

Here's all the tiebreaker stuff if you have plenty of time on your hands, http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... ews_mlb_nd
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Re: Handicapping the race

Unread postby 7foot3 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:1. Rays 86-69, +0.5 GB- 7 games left, 1 vs. BAL, 3 at NYY, 3 at TOR.
2. Tribe 86-70, 0 GB- 6 games left, 2 vs. CWS, 4 at MIN
3. Rangers 84-71, 1.5 GB- 7 games left, 3 vs. HOU, 4 vs. LAA

For home field, Tribe have the tiebreaker over Texas but not over Tampa (Texas has it over Tampa). If there's a 3 way tie, the Tribe have the best round robin record (7-5) followed by Tampa (7-6) and Texas (5-8). If that happened, the Tribe would get to choose their designation and assuming they know how to do so correctly, they'd host whoever doesn't choose the 2 road game path(Tampa would have to choose between 1 home game or 2 road games) with the winner getting one wild card spot and the loser of that game having to go to the 1 home game path team to play and determine the other wild card spot. Basically, they have a 3 team mini bracket to eliminate one team. Then after all of that, the actual wild card game would be played (I'm assuming it then just reverts back to the two team head-to-head tiebreaker to see who hosts it).

I say the Rays go 90-72 and Rangers go 89-73. 3-3 for the Tribe to tie for the last spot, 4-2 to tie Tampa (but have to go there), and 5-1 to host the wild card game.

Here's all the tiebreaker stuff if you have plenty of time on your hands, http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... ews_mlb_nd

Man, this was complicated before, and you just made it sound even more complicated than it actually is. Assuming they all tie, and each chooses their ideal path: Tampa @ Cleveland, winner is WC1 (hosts the WC game), with the loser playing at Texas to determine WC2.
My avatar is a reflection of Peeker's maturity and self-confidence.
7foot3
Zack Greinke of the Boards

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Ahh sorry, I didn't realize that the first mini playoff would give designations for both wild card spots. And I guess it's not possible that the Rays would choose the one home game path if that would preclude them from hosting the actual wild card game.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby 7foot3 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Kingpin74 wrote:Ahh sorry, I didn't realize that the first mini playoff would give designations for both wild card spots. And I guess it's not possible that the Rays would choose the one home game path if that would preclude them from hosting the actual wild card game.

They wouldn't chose the one home game path anyway. Teams should always take two chances to win just one game, even with both on the road, to a do-or-die.
My avatar is a reflection of Peeker's maturity and self-confidence.
7foot3
Zack Greinke of the Boards

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB