Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Most Underrated Player?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Most Underrated Player?

Unread postby Hoover » Sun May 27, 2007 11:13 am

Here's Jayson Stark's opinion--

No. 5 -- C.C. Sabathia

You know what might be the biggest upset of the year? That Sabathia didn't get one vote in our recent "Which Pitchers Would You Pay to Watch?" poll. Heck, I'd pay to watch him.

He's already the first left-handed pitcher since Andy Pettitte to start his career with six straight seasons of double-digit wins. He has won more games (88) than any active pitcher under 27. And the Elias Sports Bureau reports he's just the fifth pitcher to debut in the last quarter-century and reach 1,000 strikeouts before turning 27. (The others: Roger Clemens, Dwight Gooden, Pedro Martinez and Kerry Wood.)

But the real reason C.C. is on this list -- aside from that snub in the pay-to-watch survey -- is simple: He's only getting better. He's striking out more hitters (9.05 per 9 IP) than he ever has. And he's walking fewer hitters (1.6 per 9 IP) than he ever has. And that's what aces -- especially underrated aces -- are made of.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/s ... id=2882388

With the kind of year Jhonny's having, he should be in the top 20 most underrated players.

So who's your most underrated player in MLB?
Hoover

most underrated player

Unread postby rawdawgexpress » Sun May 27, 2007 4:17 pm

My most underrated player on the Tribe is Casey Blake. Its not because he's particularly good but because I have him rated extremely low. In fact, I rate Casey Blake very, very, low.

Low. I rate casey Blake somewhere between chlamydia and syphilis.

So low that when does anything "good" at all, like say make a routine play at 3rd- I'm actually physically shocked to see it.

And speaking of having players rated low, did anyone see our "Closer", "Joe Borowski" get another "save" yesterday. I did, and it was 2 very legit basehits, a warning track fly out, and another fly out smoked on a line. We absolutely cannot go down the stretch with this guy. If he has his curve he is tough. But he only has his curve 1 time in ten- so he is a smoke and mirrors joke.
People call it 'vision.' I call it running away.
-Josh Cribbs
rawdawgexpress

Re: most underrated player

Unread postby Dozen » Sun May 27, 2007 4:32 pm

rawdawgexpress wrote:My most underrated player on the Tribe is Casey Blake. Its not because he's particularly good but because I have him rated extremely low. In fact, I rate Casey Blake very, very, low.

Low. I rate casey Blake somewhere between chlamydia and syphilis.

So low that when does anything "good" at all, like say make a routine play at 3rd- I'm actually physically shocked to see it.

And speaking of having players rated low, did anyone see our "Closer", "Joe Borowski" get another "save" yesterday. I did, and it was 2 very legit basehits, a warning track fly out, and another fly out smoked on a line. We absolutely cannot go down the stretch with this guy. If he has his curve he is tough. But he only has his curve 1 time in ten- so he is a smoke and mirrors joke.

Rack It!!!!!!!!
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Hoover » Sun May 27, 2007 4:40 pm

Casey can't even get respect when he's having a good year. :lol:

I've never been a big fan of him either. He's hot right now, but look out in the 2nd half. He hits like Ramon Vazquez's mother.

In the 2nd half, I rate him somewhere between genital warts and terminal diarrhea.
Hoover

Unread postby Charboneau » Sun May 27, 2007 4:52 pm

Most underated Indian in 2007 in my book is either Fultz or Malibu Michaels. Malibu has had a few great moments in 2007. Fultz has pitched well in spots and has given some good innings - but my expectations of him are low. I fully expected the outfield walls to have cannon holes in them after he's done pitching.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Dustin Pedroia

Unread postby sandlot33 » Sun May 27, 2007 6:29 pm

I think it's Carmona

he has really stepped it up for the injuries we have had in the starting pitching...he's been filthy
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby Charboneau » Sun May 27, 2007 6:43 pm

sandlot33 wrote:I think it's Carmona

he has really stepped it up for the injuries we have had in the starting pitching...he's been filthy

I don't see him being underated - at least on this board. Maybe that was my disconnect. I thought we were speaking in terms of this board only. I love what he has done to date.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby sandlot33 » Sun May 27, 2007 7:12 pm

Charboneau wrote:

I don't see him being underated - at least on this board. Maybe that was my disconnect. I thought we were speaking in terms of this board only. I love what he has done to date.

Yeah I agree, but nationally since they started with CC I think Carmona is a lock

On these boards I really think it's Borowski since we couldn't save a game last year at all...his era might be high but 16 of 18 is huge and a big reason we are winning
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby Charboneau » Sun May 27, 2007 7:59 pm

sandlot33 wrote:
Charboneau wrote:

Yeah I agree, but nationally since they started with CC I think Carmona is a lock

On these boards I really think it's Borowski since we couldn't save a game last year at all...his era might be high but 16 of 18 is huge and a big reason we are winning

Great point. I would say nationally it's certainly Carmona. If managers counted I would say Wedgie. I think he's done a nice job given the early season injuries to the pitching staff.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby sandlot33 » Sun May 27, 2007 9:15 pm

jinxed carmona...shit
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby Charboneau » Sun May 27, 2007 9:44 pm

sandlot33 wrote:jinxed carmona...shit

He's looked very human the last two starts. Tonight he's pressing - really overthrowing and getting the ball up. The other thing is he is being too fine when he gets ahead in the count. Just like Westbrook does. One thing you can say for the Byrdman - he just throws strikes.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby furls » Sun May 27, 2007 9:46 pm

Blake has been pretty important to this team this year. I actually prefer him over Marte. Blake also provides much needed speed in the line up. Aside from Sizemore and Barfield you could time the rest of the guys to first on a sun dial.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB