Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Time for Tito to move Swisher down the lineup

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Time for Tito to move Swisher down the lineup

Unread postby Crooked River » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:16 am

He is clearly pressing. I know it. You know it. He knows it. Everyone can see it.

Tito has given him every opportunity to shake it, even running him out there in the 4-hole again after the week off from the sore shoulder.

And now it's starting to affect his defense, too.

Kipnis, Santana and Brantley are providing multiple good to great ABs each game. With Cabby's return the times ripe to shake things up in that crucial middle.

Thinking this:

Bourn
Cabby
Kipnis
Santana
Brantley
Swisher
Reynolds
Chiz
Stubbs

Getting Cabby Kip Carlos & Brantley strung together could lead to big innings. The real key to me is getting Brantley in front of Swisher. The OB % of those four guys in front of him should lead to plenty of RBI chances for Michael and he has been clutch all season long.
Crooked River
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:29 pm

Re: Time for Tito to move Swisher down the lineup

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:35 am

No doubt Swish should be moved down the order although I do find it amazing how Brantley is so amune to criticism and somehow has everyone convinced he's having a good year.

The guy has a .695 OPS, and OPS+ of 97, an OBP of .323, just a 0.7 offensive WAR...... plain and simple he's just a replacement level player offensively who, because he doesn't strike out, seems to have the world convinced he passes the eye test.

The irony of those above numbers is Swisher is actually better than him in those specific stats this year.

Anyway, non of this matters..... Swisher should be moved in the order without doubt.
User avatar
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God
 
Posts: 8992
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Cardiff, UK
Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: Time for Tito to move Swisher down the lineup

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:00 am

Francona had discussed putting Swisher in the 2 hole. It's not a bad idea. He's a high OBP guy trying too hard to drive in runs and live up to his contract. Pls I think the shoulder is still a big issue.

he's a guy that has to get it figured out. When Kipnis comes back to Earth, somebody will have to get hot to pick it up since several Indians are struggling at once again.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Time for Tito to move Swisher down the lineup

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:00 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:No doubt Swish should be moved down the order although I do find it amazing how Brantley is so amune to criticism and somehow has everyone convinced he's having a good year.

The guy has a .695 OPS, and OPS+ of 97, an OBP of .323, just a 0.7 offensive WAR...... plain and simple he's just a replacement level player offensively who, because he doesn't strike out, seems to have the world convinced he passes the eye test.

The irony of those above numbers is Swisher is actually better than him in those specific stats this year.

Anyway, non of this matters..... Swisher should be moved in the order without doubt.


Brantley is hitting .357 with runners in scoring position. That's why we think he's having a good year. He's also moving runners over when asked, and he makes contact in sacrifice situations. To me...he's an ideal 5th hole guy.

I'd put Reynolds behind him and Swisher in the 7th spot as it'd be nice to set up your bottom of the order with a switch hitter.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3516
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Time for Tito to move Swisher down the lineup

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:28 pm

bookelly wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:No doubt Swish should be moved down the order although I do find it amazing how Brantley is so amune to criticism and somehow has everyone convinced he's having a good year.

The guy has a .695 OPS, and OPS+ of 97, an OBP of .323, just a 0.7 offensive WAR...... plain and simple he's just a replacement level player offensively who, because he doesn't strike out, seems to have the world convinced he passes the eye test.

The irony of those above numbers is Swisher is actually better than him in those specific stats this year.

Anyway, non of this matters..... Swisher should be moved in the order without doubt.


Brantley is hitting .357 with runners in scoring position. That's why we think he's having a good year. He's also moving runners over when asked, and he makes contact in sacrifice situations. To me...he's an ideal 5th hole guy.

I'd put Reynolds behind him and Swisher in the 7th spot as it'd be nice to set up your bottom of the order with a switch hitter.


I don't disagree with anything you say about his contact ability.

The RISP arguement is not something I can ever get on board with though. The numbers are a fact and you can't argue with them. But, his numbers in those 56 ABs don't mean more in terms of how he personally has performed as a hitter than the other 213 ABs he's had in my eyes.

I don't buy that him hitting .357 with RISP is a skill - in my mind, if he has that skill, then why doesn't he hit that well in the other 213 ABs? I'm of the opinion that if you believe his .357 RISP AVG is a skill, then the only way to explain his .249 AVG in other situations is that he doesn't try as hard in those ABs - and I don't think that's the case!

I recognise that there are people who buy into "clutch" hitting and those that don't. All I'll say to finish is that I don't - I believe that a hitters ability is their ability and the situations they get their hits in are just subject to randomness.

*Can of worms open*
:hide:
User avatar
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God
 
Posts: 8992
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Cardiff, UK
Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: Time for Tito to move Swisher down the lineup

Unread postby 1Perry » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:08 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:I don't disagree with anything you say about his contact ability.

The RISP arguement is not something I can ever get on board with though. The numbers are a fact and you can't argue with them. But, his numbers in those 56 ABs don't mean more in terms of how he personally has performed as a hitter than the other 213 ABs he's had in my eyes.

I don't buy that him hitting .357 with RISP is a skill - in my mind, if he has that skill, then why doesn't he hit that well in the other 213 ABs? I'm of the opinion that if you believe his .357 RISP AVG is a skill, then the only way to explain his .249 AVG in other situations is that he doesn't try as hard in those ABs - and I don't think that's the case!

I recognise that there are people who buy into "clutch" hitting and those that don't. All I'll say to finish is that I don't - I believe that a hitters ability is their ability and the situations they get their hits in are just subject to randomness.

*Can of worms open*
:hide:


It's a long season so do hitters "try harder" in certain situations than others? Yeah, I believe so. It's IMO inevitable over a long season.

Brantley has been an important piece this year. Will he in the next 3 months? Who knows but he has come through so far and the fans are going to obviously appreciate that.

Most don't care that his lifetime numbers label him as nothing special.
User avatar
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters
 
Posts: 1878
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:56 pm


Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Who is online

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests