Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Indians @ Tigers

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Indians @ Tigers

Unread postby CLEfan86 » Fri May 25, 2007 1:46 pm

A big in the scheme of things series for the Indians. Nothing to lose sleep over yet, but a good barometer series to see where we are at. On top of that Saturday and Sunday's games are nationally televised. Some good pitching matchups for this series, especially Saturday.

FRI: Byrd vs. Robertson
SAT: Sabathia vs. Verlander
SUN: Carmona vs. Maroth

Lineups:
Indians (28-17)

Tigers (29-17)
CLEfan86

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 25, 2007 1:55 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 25, 2007 2:17 pm

Indians still are on the backburner with the fans.....in April all the attention was on the Browns draft and the Cavs playoff start....and now in May most of the attention is on the Cavs, especially the Pistons series.

The fans focus will shift real soon to the Indians.....hopefully they are still playing well by then.

This is a very good series to maybe jumpstart the bandwagon nationally and locally on the Indians. No matter what happens, one series won't change my perception good or bad.....but I think if the Indians can win at least 2 of 3, you may start to hear more about them nationally....and maybe it will begin to make believers of some here locally.

That Sabathia/Verlander matchup should be epic.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Prosecutor » Fri May 25, 2007 2:18 pm

The Tribe is below .500 on the road and they're also below .500 when left-handers start. So their chances on Friday and Sunday aren't good since they're going up against a double whammy. As for Saturday, Verlander is Verlander, so you can't be too optimistic about that one either.

At least we have our three best starters (as of right now) going. And we beat a lefty on the road last night, so there is some hope. But I'll be surprised if we win two, and I think getting swept is more than just a possibility.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby CLEfan86 » Fri May 25, 2007 2:36 pm

The point on whether or not people believe in this team is a good one. 2006 for me was a real let down after how 2005 ended. I think this team knows what it takes to win day in and day out now. Not suprising to see fans that are skeptical of early season success, and distracted by a Cavalier playoff run. Personally the bullpen still has me scared a bit.

Two out of three in this series would be a huge confidence boost not only for the team but for the fans as well. After the next nine we should really have a good idea of our positioning in the league. Five of nine would be fine especially with six of them on the road.
CLEfan86

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 25, 2007 6:19 pm

You know, this is the first time....in like forever....that the Indians and Tigers are playing a meaningful series where both are very good at the same time.

Think about it. Last year, the Indians stunk while the Tigers were good. And, prior to last year, the Tigers had stunk since 1993, which is the year before the Indians became good. And, we know the Indians stunk in most the 60s, 70s and 80s.....and the Tigers were very average in the 60s....I don't think there has ever been a year both have been very good at the same time. Amazing when you think about it.
consigliere

Unread postby Charboneau » Fri May 25, 2007 6:48 pm

I think we are going to take 2 out of three from Detriot. I'm a Paul Byrd homer but I think the Byrdman is going to bring it home tonight. I also like CC on Saturday. We'll see on Sunday but I wouldn't be surprised if Carmona gives us a good start on national TV. I'm jacked!
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Dustin Pedroia

Unread postby Charboneau » Fri May 25, 2007 7:16 pm

Great start with two homers in the first. We also made Robertson throw 20 something pitches in the first. Great start.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby swerb » Fri May 25, 2007 8:46 pm

Who is this guy on the mound? And what has he done with Paul Byrd?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Wahoot » Fri May 25, 2007 8:52 pm

5-3 Tribe headed to the 7th . . .
Wahoot

Unread postby Charboneau » Fri May 25, 2007 8:53 pm

Swerb wrote:Who is this guy on the mound? And what has he done with Paul Byrd?

The Byrdman has been fun to watch this year. He throws strikes. The fact he doesn't give any free passes is huge when teams string together back to back hits. They have to earn every thing they get against Byrd. No free passes with the Byrd man. I'd just like to see us blow one of these games open against a good team when we have them on the ropes.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby Wahoot » Fri May 25, 2007 9:56 pm

Nice at bat, Jhonny. 7-4 Tribe.
Wahoot

Unread postby consigliere » Fri May 25, 2007 10:49 pm

Nice win. Amazing that Paul Byrd only threw 13 BALLS! 13! He may want to mix in a few balls, as he hinted in the postgame interview, because it means he is too much on the plate and started to get hammered late.

CC and Verlander tomorrow. Nice.
consigliere

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri May 25, 2007 11:07 pm

Consigliere wrote:Nice win. Amazing that Paul Byrd only threw 13 BALLS! 13! He may want to mix in a few balls....

Possible. But he had only the second-best percentage on the team: Raffy threw 15 strikes and ONE ball. (Borowski at 70% had the lowest strike percentage.)

If you haven't gone to mlb.com to watch Michaels' catch, you should. Took three runs away from Craig Monroe.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Hoover » Fri May 25, 2007 11:15 pm

Byrd also has not walked a batter in over 36 innings. Just outstanding.

But the most amazing & amusing thing was watching Hafner leg out a TRIPLE. How often do we see that? :lol:
Hoover

Unread postby Hoover » Fri May 25, 2007 11:19 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:
If you haven't gone to mlb.com to watch Michaels' catch, you should. Took three runs away from Craig Monroe.

Outstanding catch, way above the fence. I didn't think Jason had it in him. He usually looks kind of clueless out there, but certainly not tonight.
Hoover

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB