Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Tribe News

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Tribe News

Unread postby pup » Wed May 23, 2007 2:51 pm

Recalled Mike Koplove from Buffalo. I remember having a good stretch a couple years back with Zona. Eddie Moo sent down.

Kelly Shoppach has advanced to the upper echelon of backup catchers, becoming the "personal" catcher for one Paul Byrd.

Eric Wedge was last seen at 3 AM, still sleeping in the visitor's dugout in KC.

OK, I made the last news up.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Shoppach and Byrd

Unread postby ArtGold » Wed May 23, 2007 11:51 pm

Paul Byrd is starting to get up there in years now. Perhaps he wants one last memory of what it is like to have a catcher actually throw out a baserunner who is trying to steal a base.
ArtGold

Re: Shoppach and Byrd

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed May 23, 2007 11:52 pm

ArtGold wrote:Paul Byrd is starting to get up there in years now. Perhaps he wants one last memory of what it is like to have a catcher actually throw out a baserunner who is trying to steal a base.

You mean like Vic tonight?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby consigliere » Thu May 24, 2007 2:36 pm

I'm with Buff on what he said about Eddie Moo in the B-List today.

I just don't understand why they keep jerking these kids around in the bullpen and do not give them a chance (until they are out of options). Again, another retread vet is brought up. Now, I like Koplove, or at least consider him an okay option to turn to.

But, did they really have to turn to him? I still would rather have some of the yutes like Mujica, Perez and others in the pen over some of these guys carrying Buckeye cards. I just don't understand why this org has such a problem with developing relievers.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Kuiper » Thu May 24, 2007 3:39 pm

Is one possible explanation for Koplove's promotion that they need to decide whether to fish or cut bait on him? As a vet pitcher, perhaps he has a June 1 free agent clause if he isn't promoted by then. That would explain trying to get him up for a look this week given his solid performance at AAA.

I just saw on the Scout board that someone reported hearing exactly this explanation on the broadcast last night. So, nothing really all that mysterious about it. Mujica is the only one that has options to use to free up a space for Koplove's week-long tryout,.
Last edited by Kuiper on Thu May 24, 2007 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuiper

Unread postby Prosecutor » Thu May 24, 2007 4:02 pm

Consigliere wrote: I just don't understand why this org has such a problem with developing relievers.

They don't like to develop them at the major league level. Look at Cabrera. He was lights out in April, and a lost puppy in May, and he cost us a couple of games. I think that's what they expect out of the young guys. I get the feeling the Tribe thinks they can go to the World Series this year, and they don't want to give away wins so the yutes can develop in the bigs.

I don't think that's the right approach, however, because I've seen battle-hardened vets like Borowski and Hernandez come in and totally blow games because they can't get anybody out. Another example is Fultz coming in and walking a batter on four pitches with the bases loaded the other day. Veterans are supposed to be more consistent, but I'm not seeing it. Look at Lee yesterday.

I say go with the young arms with big upsides over a stable of journeymen retread relievers. OTOH, look at how much better the team did after Blake replaced Marte at third. Koplove was dominating at Buffalo. Let's give him a chance, but be ready to bring up a rookie if he falters.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB