Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

5/21, Tribe vs Mariners

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

5/21, Tribe vs Mariners

Unread postby pup » Mon May 21, 2007 5:11 pm

Since I am not writing a series preview, well because it is not a series, I figure I will just link the Indians.com preview:

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/a ... p&c_id=cle

Tribe welcomes Mariners for makeup
Seattle (19-20) at Cleveland (26-15), 7:05 p.m. ET

The Indians are doing their best to make Seattle feel welcome in Cleveland.
In re-creating the flurry scene that snowed out the the teams' four-game series in early April, the Indians are pulling out all the stops. The club is hauling in snow machines, ice sculptures and giving away trips to a ski resort.

But as the Indians host the Mariners at Jacobs Field on Monday night, an Indians win might make the scene feel more authentic than any kind of gimmick could.

For it seems the Indians simply cannot lose at home. The Tribe's 16-4 record at home is the best in baseball, and equals the Indians' start in 1995. The club also opened that season 16-4 and went on to the World Series.

Indians ace C.C. Sabatha gets the call on Monday. In 10 career starts against the Mariners, Sabathia is 4-3 with a 3.03 ERA.

Seattle will counter with right-hander Cha Seung Baek, who lost his lone career start against the Tribe.

Pitching matchup
CLE: LHP C.C. Sabathia (6-1, 3.65 ERA)
Sabathia, fast emerging as one of the game's top pitchers, is off to the best start of his career. The left-hander's six wins are the second-most in the American League, as are his 63 strikeouts. On Wednesday, Sabathia rebounded from his worst outing of the season to work eight innings of one-run ball in a victory over the Twins.

SEA: RHP Cha Seung Baek (1-1, 5.16 ERA)
Baek has pitched well since joining the rotation from Triple-A Tacoma and will stay around as long as he keeps making quality starts. He adjusted quickly from a rocky first inning against the Angels -- four of the first five batters reached base -- but threw five consecutive shutout innings in a losing cause last week.

Player to watch
Sabathia will need to be particularly careful in dealing with Ichiro Suzuki. Seattle's center fielder is 15-for-35 (.429) with a pair of doubles and three homers in his career against Sabathia.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby pup » Mon May 21, 2007 5:22 pm

Mildly surprised to learn the Mariners are toiling around the .500 mark. Damn East Coast bias :lol:

Richie Sexson has been tanking. .162 with 5 homers.
Ichiro is really good.

Mariners hitting .269 as a team with 37 home runs.
Tribe hitting .269 as a team with 45 home runs.

The Indians have scored 228 runs (3rd in MLB) in 41 games, while the Mariners have only managed 173 runs (26th in MLB) in 39 games.

The difference? Seattle has drawn 89 walks, 30th in MLB 27 walks behind the next worst team and the Indians have drawn almost twice as many (170), good for 5th in MLB.

In 3 starts on the road, Baek is 1-0 with a 6.88 ERA.
In
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Indians Lineup

Unread postby Wahoot » Mon May 21, 2007 6:25 pm

G. Sizemore cf
C. Blake 3b
T. Hafner dh
V. Martinez c
T. Nixon rf
J. Peralta ss
D. Dellucci lf
R. Garko 1b
J. Barfield 2b
Wahoot

Unread postby StewieG » Mon May 21, 2007 8:32 pm

CC has really struggles thru 5, but has only allowed 1 run. I take him out now and let the bullpen bring it home. He's got 92 pitches, but it's a stressful 92 pitches.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Wahoot » Mon May 21, 2007 8:38 pm

StewieG wrote:CC has really struggles thru 5, but has only allowed 1 run. I take him out now and let the bullpen bring it home. He's got 92 pitches, but it's a stressful 92 pitches.

Good call, Stewie. Your cell must be linked up with the bullpen phone. If you don't mind, post the number here. It may come in handy later this season.
Wahoot

Unread postby StewieG » Mon May 21, 2007 8:40 pm

Who'd they bring in? I'm flipping in between the Cavs and Indians games, and completely missed that half inning.
StewieG

Unread postby drum » Mon May 21, 2007 11:25 pm

Wahoot wrote:
StewieG wrote:CC has really struggles thru 5, but has only allowed 1 run. I take him out now and let the bullpen bring it home. He's got 92 pitches, but it's a stressful 92 pitches.

Good call, Stewie. Your cell must be linked up with the bullpen phone. If you don't mind, post the number here. It may come in handy later this season.

ha, can i get that number?
if I see Cabrera get up i'm calling in and sitting him down!

Congrats to CC for his 1k K.
Boo Marshall for missing the 3! ah well. Go Cavs!
drum

Favorite Player: Joe Posnanski
Least Favorite Player: Miami fans

Unread postby StewieG » Mon May 21, 2007 11:50 pm

It's 1-800-BULLPEN

I was trying to call a lewd chat line, but accidentally hit an 8 instead of 9.
StewieG

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB