Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

New PED Scandal

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

New PED Scandal

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:18 am

From the Miami New Times: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-01-31 ... ames/full/

Players already named include A-Rod, Nelson Cruz, Gio Gonzalez. Seems like this guy had a good market in Latin American players. MLB can suspend without a positive test, so it'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

List also included Bartolo Colon, Yasmani Grandal, and Melky Cabrera, who both already tested positive and were suspended. Same guy who was the supplier when Manny Ramirez tested positive as well.

The names are all included in an extraordinary batch of records from Biogenesis, an anti-aging clinic tucked into a two-story office building just a hard line drive's distance from the UM campus. They were given to New Times by an employee who worked at Biogenesis before it closed last month and its owner abruptly disappeared. The records are clear in describing the firm's real business: selling performance-enhancing drugs, from human growth hormone (HGH) to testosterone to anabolic steroids.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: New PED Scandal

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:11 pm

I'm at the point where I really don't even care anymore. What a surprise, more PED allegations.

Those are becoming just as big of a part of the game as peanuts, Cracker Jack, and $9 beers.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:11 pm

Fuck! A-Rod did steroids? That's the last straw.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby 1Perry » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:59 pm

It will be interesting if A-Rod now gets put in the same boat as Clemens and Bonds come HOF voting time.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Apparently the Yankees are looking into how to void his contract.

They deserve each other.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:51 pm

1Perry wrote:It will be interesting if A-Rod now gets put in the same boat as Clemens and Bonds come HOF voting time.

I don't know. Clemens and Bonds used PEDs before the testing was implemented but not after (allegedly...snicker). At least that we know of. Manny, Raffy, and now A-Rod have been caught after testing. I'd think they might be treated differently, but that's 5 years down the road too, and my guess is Bonds and Clemens are in by then.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:19 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I'm at the point where I really don't even care anymore. What a surprise, more PED allegations.

Those are becoming just as big of a part of the game as peanuts, Cracker Jack, and $9 beers.

Maybe it's time we update the lyrics to "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby 1Perry » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:07 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
1Perry wrote:It will be interesting if A-Rod now gets put in the same boat as Clemens and Bonds come HOF voting time.

I don't know. Clemens and Bonds used PEDs before the testing was implemented but not after (allegedly...snicker). At least that we know of. Manny, Raffy, and now A-Rod have been caught after testing. I'd think they might be treated differently, but that's 5 years down the road too, and my guess is Bonds and Clemens are in by then.

I suppose we will see. I've been reading about what all is coming out and likely going to be brought down on A-Rod and others (long suspensions). In that this has all happened after it was deemed illegal, I will agree that the odds of Bonds and Clemens getting in is now higher than A-Rod.

It looks like there are many ready to make A-Rod the Lance Armstrong of baseball.

Maybe the voters will decide to take this all out on A-Rod. His continual denial likely won't help.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:Apparently the Yankees are looking into how to void his contract.

They deserve each other.

Yea, cause now he stinks.

If it was the A-Rod of 7 years ago the Yankees and the league would have priority one be how they could protect one of the leagues marquis names.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:52 am

Best outcome of this is A-Rod is suspended for a helluva long time and the Yankees have to pay him every last dime of that contract.

Luckily, this is also the most likely scenario.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:00 am

motherscratcher wrote:

I don't think he gets in in my lifetime if this latest shit proves to be true.

Serial liar and serial liar who's unlikable and unrepentant. That's the Asshole Trifecta right there.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:52 am

Serial liar and serial liar who's unlikable and unrepentant.

So you're saying A-Rod should run for congress?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:07 pm

peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Serial liar and serial liar who's unlikable and unrepentant. That's the Asshole Trifecta right there.

Still sounds very much like Bonds and Clemens.

Who aren't going to get in any time soon. People are under the assumption the writers are giving them the "one year penalty" so they aren't first ballot. I say there's waaayy tooo many crotchey writers to turn around.

Once those cats start dyin' off, and their votes go to someone younger, than these guys will start to get in.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:43 pm

A-Rod career ooooover!

But $114m is a nice severance package
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:44 pm

leadpipe wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Who aren't going to get in any time soon. People are under the assumption the writers are giving them the "one year penalty" so they aren't first ballot. I say there's waaayy tooo many crotchey writers to turn around.

Once those cats start dyin' off, and their votes go to someone younger, than these guys will start to get in.

I agree. I just think 5 years is a long way off and Bonds/Clemens will be in by then. Just a gut feeling. I think it will take A-Rod much longer, if he ever gets in (And I think he will).

A lot of the reason for that is his reputation, which I think is far worse than even Bonds. Everyone pretty much agrees that Bonds is a Grade A Asshole, but there is a grudging respect for his immense talent. But A-Rod seems despised in a much more dismissive way, even before this latest news.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:51 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

I agree. I just think 5 years is a long way off and Bonds/Clemens will be in by then. Just a gut feeling. I think it will take A-Rod much longer, if he ever gets in (And I think he will).

A lot of the reason for that is his reputation, which I think is far worse than even Bonds. Everyone pretty much agrees that Bonds is a Grade A Asshole, but there is a grudging respect for his immense talent. But A-Rod seems despised in a much more dismissive way, even before this latest news.

I think you are forgetting just how poorly Barry Bonds treated the media.

Being treated as you're well beneath someone sticks with you longer than some douche with a half man/half horse painting of himself.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:13 pm

I hope A-Rod isn't suspended. That would be worse for he & the Spankees.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:11 pm

leadpipe wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:I agree. I just think 5 years is a long way off and Bonds/Clemens will be in by then. Just a gut feeling. I think it will take A-Rod much longer, if he ever gets in (And I think he will).

Being treated as you're well beneath someone sticks with you longer than some douche with a half man/half horse painting of himself.

No, I remember. And actually it's part of my point. He treated them like complete shit. But most any of them, even if they aren't voting for him now, refer to him as one of the best players of all time.

There's no such talk about ARod. Maybe tats because he's clearly lost a step the last few year. He's over the hill, and shitting the bed in the playoffs, making it hard to remember how astoundingly good he was.

ARod, as far as I know, ISN'T a complete dick to the media the way Bonds was. He's usually described as aloof, or strange. And the disdained for the guy is every bit as intense, if not more intense than it is/was for Bonds.

Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows. But if my money has to go on one of them getting in, I'm putting it on Bonds.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:25 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:I agree. I just think 5 years is a long way off and Bonds/Clemens will be in by then. Just a gut feeling. I think it will take A-Rod much longer, if he ever gets in (And I think he will).

No, I remember. And actually it's part of my point. He treated them like complete shit. But most any of them, even if they aren't voting for him now, refer to him as one of the best players of all time.

There's no such talk about ARod. Maybe tats because he's clearly lost a step the last few year. He's over the hill, and shitting the bed in the playoffs, making it hard to remember how astoundingly good he was.

ARod, as far as I know, ISN'T a complete dick to the media the way Bonds was. He's usually described as aloof, or strange. And the disdained for the guy is every bit as intense, if not more intense than it is/was for Bonds.

Maybe I'm wrong. Who knows. But if my money has to go on one of them getting in, I'm putting it on Bonds.

I guess I don't think the problem is which one is worse - it's that they are both deplorable.

Let's put Bonds at a one on the 10 scale. That'd put A-Rod anywhere from a 1/2 to 2 on the same scale. This is well within the range where a writer looking for ANY reason to keep the guy out is going to point to.

Anyways, I think it's a long time for both.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby 1Perry » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:32 pm

All things being equal it would take less for Bonds to get in than A-Rod. IMO those who vote can justify their vote by telling themselves that before becoming the Incredible Hulk Bonds was a HOFer.

They look at A-Rod and know he admits to doping as a Ranger and now it continues. They can ask themselves whether or not he doped his entire career. Also, despite knowing full well it was banned and what would happen if caught, he still did it.

If I'm voting Rose gets in before A-Rod.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:39 pm

Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:13 pm

Honest question here, at what point do you question the legitimacy of ARod's entire career?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:39 pm

FUDU wrote:Honest question here, at what point do you question the legitimacy of ARod's entire career?

Seven years ago.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 pm

"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 pm

peeker643 wrote:Honny!!!!!!!

http://bit.ly/14F5UrC

Say it ain't so Jhonny! Of all players using PED's, he would be the LAST! Who's next? Casey Blake?
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 pm

peeker643 wrote:Honny!!!!!!!

http://bit.ly/14F5UrC

Matt Sussman ‏@suss2hyphens
If Jhonny Peralta used banned substances, he only took the ones that were injected directly at him
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:36 pm

^^^^^ That's funny.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB