Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

The Next Paul Shuey?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

The Next Paul Shuey?

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue May 15, 2007 12:33 pm

Shoot, Paul Shuey was simply the Next Eric Plunk.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue May 15, 2007 2:37 pm

Plunky was the most underappreciated player of those good teams in the 90's.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue May 15, 2007 2:52 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:Plunky was the most underappreciated player of those good teams in the 90's.

Yep. When I was researching the original Jason Davis article, I'd forgotten just how good he was for a stretch there. (Very high K rate, much lower HR rate than I'd remembered)

But that's the role Shuey took when Plunk turned into a newt. And Plunk was another guy, like Shuey or Riske, who was great in the 7th or 8th, but a complete mess as a closer.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue May 15, 2007 4:40 pm

Yes, especially when New York tried him there for a brief stretch before he came to the Tribe. I will say this though, another thing to his credit, was midway thru his excellent 5 year run he could have either 1. bitched about not being a closer or 2. Left to go somewhere else where he would have been given the closers job (There were several offers). He chose to stay in a thankless role and really help the team win.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 15, 2007 7:59 pm

I loved Plunk. Just about every single friend I roll with hated him.

Plunk was one of those guys ... he put together several solid seasons here as a 7th and 8th inning righty. When he did gork, it was in high profile situations or spectacular fashion. So the fans hated him. He'd quietly string five straight holds, then give up a 700 ft HR to Frank Thomas to lose a game that would make people forget those good outings.

The more modern era guy I'd compare Plunk to is Riske. He was along those same lines.

Shuey was filthy. Had some of the best stuff I've ever seen an Indians pitcher throw. Good guy too. Laid back, good quotes. I always liked him alot.

Such a dick tease though. Some of the injuries that guy would miss time with were just ridiculous. I think he sprained his eye one time.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB