Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Most Memorable Loss Ever Personally Witnessed

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Most Memorable Loss Ever Personally Witnessed

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 am

In honor of the Indians possibly making history today, I thought I'd ask which Tribe game anyone has been in the stands for that was the most memorable loss.

For me, it was the last year of Nolan Ryan's career and the family went to Municipal Stadium to see his last start in Cleveland.

The Rangers won and nobody cared. We gave Ryan a standing ovation as he walked off the field.

Even Carlos Baerga after the game said the team wasn't taking our cheering of the opposition personally because, "It's Nolan Ryan."
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Most Memorable Loss Ever Personally Witnessed

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:42 am

No memorable loss comes to mind. Saw Thome become 6th on the all-time HR list during another Tribe loss a couple weeks back, that was cool.

I am going to the game today which, if they lose will tie the all-time franchise record; something I will remember forever.

:pb:
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:45 am

Asdrubal Cabrera turned the unassisted triple play and Cliff Lee threw nine shutout innings in a loss to the Blue Jays in the second game of a twinight doubleheader in 2008. It didn't feel like the Indians lost because of those two things.
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:48 am

justmebd wrote:In honor of the Indians possibly making history today, I thought I'd ask which Tribe game anyone has been in the stands for that was the most memorable loss.

For me, it was the last year of Nolan Ryan's career and the family went to Municipal Stadium to see his last start in Cleveland.

The Rangers won and nobody cared. We gave Ryan a standing ovation as he walked off the field.

Even Carlos Baerga after the game said the team wasn't taking our cheering of the opposition personally because, "It's Nolan Ryan."

One of them for me has to be the 1999 Game 5 against Boston when Nagy couldn't hold a 5-2 3rd inning lead and Martinez came in and pitched 6 hitless innings. They lost that game 12-8 when Troy Freaking O'Leary hit two HRs and had 7RBI.

Strange game and made stranger in that a buddy from out of town and I went down and bought scalper seats. We were in opposite ends fo the Jake. But the first three innings went so long some people had to leave and I asked an older couple that was leaving if I could have their stubs so my friend and I could sit together.

The tickets were right behind the Red Sox dugout. So I was up close and personal for that depressing night.

Also saw the Dave Stieb no-hitter against the Indians at the old stadium.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Bigfist » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:53 am

Memorable, I am not sure, but circa 1969, in August the team was like 100 games out of first and there were about 3000 fans in the stands. Duke Sims was up in the bottom of the eighth and struck out with the bases loaded, and the game sort of on the line. The boos rang down and Sims put his middle finger up to the crowd.
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:59 am

peeker643 wrote:
justmebd wrote:In honor of the Indians possibly making history today, I thought I'd ask which Tribe game anyone has been in the stands for that was the most memorable loss.

One of them for me has to be the 1999 Game 5 against Boston when Nagy couldn't hold a 5-2 3rd inning lead and Martinez came in and pitched 6 hitless innings. They lost that game 12-8 when Troy Freaking O'Leary hit two HRs and had 7RBI.

Strange game and made stranger in that a buddy from out of town and I went down and bought scalper seats. We were in opposite ends fo the Jake. But the first three innings went so long some people had to leave and I asked an older couple that was leaving if I could have their stubs so my friend and I could sit together.

The tickets were right behind the Red Sox dugout. So I was up close and personal for that depressing night.

I've been fortunate, the three playoff games I was able to attend were all wins. With that record, I wish I could've been at that particular game, maybe it would've made a difference.
justmebd

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:00 am

LakeErieWarriors wrote:No memorable loss comes to mind. Saw Thome become 6th on the all-time HR list during another Tribe loss a couple weeks back, that was cool.

I am going to the game today which, if they lose will tie the all-time franchise record; something I will remember forever.

If I wasn't so broke, I'd be on my way to the Jake right now. I'm on vacation from work this week, but all that means right now is I'm being paid NOT to come to work this week.

I could get used to this. "Here's a check. Go away."
justmebd

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:14 am

justmebd wrote:
LakeErieWarriors wrote:No memorable loss comes to mind. Saw Thome become 6th on the all-time HR list during another Tribe loss a couple weeks back, that was cool.

If I wasn't so broke, I'd be on my way to the Jake right now. I'm on vacation from work this week, but all that means right now is I'm being paid NOT to come to work this week.

I could get used to this. "Here's a check. Go away."

Too bad, we prolly coulda worked somethin out, like I dunno, a dollar a piece? But anyway, I'm on the way to CLE now. Hopefully I don't get in a wreck with this on my head.
:bag:
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:37 am

Game 5 2007 ALCS.

Nothing will ever come close to that unless we lose a World Series game that I'm at.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:38 am

We went to a game in Pittsburgh in maybe '98 or '99, back when all the games were still sold out in Cleveland. The Indians lost something like 10-0, and when we were waiting in line to get on the ferry back to our car, a drunk guy in front of us bumped into another drunk guy, which prompted a pretty impressive stream of cussing and an even more impressive fight which turned into a drunken wrestling match.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:48 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Game 5 2007 ALCS.

Nothing will ever come close to that unless we lose a World Series game that I'm at.

I was living in Phoenix that year. I think the entire city heard me scream when Wedge put CC back in for the seventh inning, despite the fact he had a great bullpen and a day off coming no matter what.

Then I think the entire state heard me scream during Game Seven when we blew that one.
justmebd

Unread postby noles1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:23 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Game 5 2007 ALCS.

+1. Was a Thursday night too. I had worked called off already for the next day and was going to celebrate with 2 buddies who came up from Columbus. With one Manny Ramirez swing the whole momentum of the series shifted.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:00 pm

I was at the shitfest in Detroit this past Sunday and got to personally witness Chris Perez cough up 5 runs in the bottom of the 10th.

Not memorable in a good way.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:36 pm

Rushed down to get tickets to see the major league debut of Greg "The Flounder" Swindell....
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby redright88 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:50 pm

game 5 2007 was a nightmare
most memorable loss came in 1994 in detroit
it was the first time we were good and after all those years
of tiger fans invading municipal stadium
tribe fans were in full force at tiger stadium
more than half the crowd and tiger fans just silently cowered
it was the most fun any of the tribe faithful had in our lifetimes
we led 5-1 heading into the ninth
shuey came in and starting walking people
lilliquist finished the torch job by serving up
a walkoff grand slam to sweet lou

the tiger fans erupted after eight innings of abuse
they unloaded double fisting middle fingers
looking to fight anyone
with a chief wahoo

coolest thing i have ever experienced
too bad i was on the other side
redright88

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Garcia

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:00 pm

leadpipe wrote:Rushed down to get tickets to see the major league debut of Greg "The Flounder" Swindell....

Oh . . . oh my. I should probably offer you some cocoa.
justmebd

Unread postby Spin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:15 pm

Nothing beats that debacle Monday night...
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:25 pm

leadpipe wrote:Rushed down to get tickets to see the major league debut of Greg "The Flounder" Swindell....

I was there for that one! Flounder gave up 5 or 6 very early runs and was pulled...then it got ugly. What was the final? 25-6? or something ridiculous. Ah...found it... 23-5. :bag:
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby 1Perry » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:30 pm

I was at that game. I still rooted for the Indians but when Nolan walked off the mound you had to give him an ovation.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 pm

peeker643 wrote:

That would be one of my first choices as well. Not just b/c of how back n forth that game was, IIRC Thome had big night, but b/c we should have won that series regardless.

IMO Pedro was possibly at his best ever that night, if he had enough rest he might have started and no hit us for 9, I mean that line up...

::doh::
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:41 pm

1Perry wrote:

I was at that game. I still rooted for the Indians but when Nolan walked off the mound you had to give him an ovation.

Yep, like the final moments of For the Love of the Game.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:09 pm

FUDU wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

That would be one of my first choices as well. Not just b/c of how back n forth that game was, IIRC Thome had big night, but b/c we should have won that series regardless.

IMO Pedro was possibly at his best ever that night, if he had enough rest he might have started and no hit us for 9, I mean that line up...

::doh::

The Indians actually beat the Sox in the prior game Pedro started and I think he left with back spasms or some shit. He was 'hurt' and wasn't expected to pitch again. And then the Indians got pummeled by 18 or 19 in Game 4.

Good times...
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:32 am

1Perry wrote:

I was there as well. Bunch of people had brought their brooms for the sweep. Mesa started for the tribe. Juan Gone hit a pop fly that fell like a knuckleball over the left field wall. We had gotten to the stadium early and my 2yr old daughter and I had a brief encounter with Albert in the concourse.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... s-blastage
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby 1Perry » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:19 am

Opening day in 93 was pretty memorable also. Less so for the actual loss that day but the ceremony that preceded the game.

While the loss to Ryan didn't bother me all that much, I really wish the Indians could have pulled this one out.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:48 am

1Perry wrote:
I was there as well. Bunch of people had brought their brooms for the sweep. Mesa started for the tribe. Juan Gone hit a pop fly that fell like a knuckleball over the left field wall. We had gotten to the stadium early and my 2yr old daughter and I had a brief encounter with Albert in the concourse.

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... s-blastage

I like your choice of the word "encounter."
Adverb Harry

Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB