Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Tribe @ Detroit: 08.03.12

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Tribe @ Detroit: 08.03.12

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:42 am

Also maybe a little silver lining. With 7 losses in a row we have creeped up into the 11th spot in the 2013 draft. Heck by this time next week, we could be top 5.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:39 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Also maybe a little silver lining. With 7 losses in a row we have creeped up into the 11th spot in the 2013 draft. Heck by this time next week, we could be top 5.

So we can take another hit for average in college outfielder with no power from Texas A&M or Arizona or fill in the blank.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby Bigfist » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:53 am

peeker643 wrote:Thankfully, my favorite part of the Tribe season is still to come. It's when Shelley Duncan hits four September HRs, Carrera hits .280 (all of this coming off Royals and Twins AA-AAA pitchers) and some tools look forward to their terrific 2013 season.

Maybe even Ubaldo will look good against those September call-ups and even more knobs will go nuts.

Going to be great.

Mark it down: someone will "really love what they see" from some career shit-bird.

I agree. The first person who is going to remind us of all of this is going to be Chris Perez, as spring training starts in 2013.
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby justmebd » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:11 am

RE: Manny Acta being fired.

Not gonna happen. If this FO can hold on to the managerial equivalent of a drunken deer for half-a-lifetime, they certainly can hold on to Manny Acta.

Also remember a few things:

1. The difference between Wedge and Acta is the difference between regular and decaf coffee. There is no comparison.

2. If Wedge had been here the last two years, there would have been no exciting baseball in spring and the team would have finished with barely 60 wins.

I believe Acta can guide this team to a postseason if he wasn't saddled with this group of garbage.

Bottom line is this FO is too cheap to fire Acta and pay the balance of his contract. The only way they get a new manager is if they can find someone to do it for minimum wage, and believe me, they probably tried.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:57 am

My dad was watching the game and during the 2nd inning he told me that Masterson, he thought, was the only pitcher worth holding on to at all costs. While I agree, this proves that we might have the worst staff in the Central right now...might...we do. Bat is still young and still only going to get better, but something isn't right.

I thought Masterson had finally figured it out last year. His ERA dropped from 4.70 in 2011 to 3.21. He was clearly one of the best starting pitchers in the league. Now he's back to 4.78. Yeah, something isn't right.

Was his 2011 season a fluke and this year he regressed to his mean? It sure seems that way. Last year he was talking about how he figured out how to keep his mechanics in line. It looks like that's not the case anymore.

Is he worth "holding on to at all costs"? No way -he's a below average starter. However, I wouldn't trade him because we'd be selling low. Nothing to do except hope he can repeat his 2011 season next year.

I see Masterson and Ubaldo as similar pitchers. They have great arms and when their complicated mechanics are perfectly in sync they can dominate any lineup. The problem is they can't keep it in sync, so they bounce back and forth between dominance and suck. I don't see any reason why this will be any different next year. I don't agree that "Bat is still young and is only going to get better". That didn't hold true for Fausto after his 19-win season, which was a flukey as Bat's 2011 and Ubaldo's first half of 2010.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:40 am

justmebd wrote:RE: Manny Acta being fired.

Not gonna happen. If this FO can hold on to the managerial equivalent of a drunken deer for half-a-lifetime, they certainly can hold on to Manny Acta.

Also remember a few things:

1. The difference between Wedge and Acta is the difference between regular and decaf coffee. There is no comparison.

2. If Wedge had been here the last two years, there would have been no exciting baseball in spring and the team would have finished with barely 60 wins.

I believe Acta can guide this team to a postseason if he wasn't saddled with this group of garbage.

Bottom line is this FO is too cheap to fire Acta and pay the balance of his contract. The only way they get a new manager is if they can find someone to do it for minimum wage, and believe me, they probably tried.

Not sure why we haven't figured out that major league managing really doesn't matter, but if you choose to believe in Santa Claus, and you think it' the reason, than Manny Acta has to be given credit for this bunch of hacks being over .500 for a good portion of the season.

But really, the best manger you've ever seen could be here, and the biggest rummy could be in Texas and you'd still have one playoff team and one non-playoff team.

Attaboys, pumpkin seeds, the occasional fake argument with an ump, and most importantly going through your "moves" in such the MLB rote way, that every fan that isn't a moron could predict 95% of em. And don't forget that crazy hard transition to NL managing, where you have to employ the "double switch," and grab the kudos that are associated with a concept a 4th grader would understand.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Double Switch!?

Don't start with that shit. I've spent hours trying to figure those out. It's impossible. Too complex. Leave that shit to the astrophysicists like Hawking and LaRussa. Our feeble AL minds couldn't possibly comprehend something so technical and unique as a double switch. Just ask any fan of an NL team. They'll tell you.

It's so much harder to manage in the NL. I'm astounded that they can find 15 guys who can do it.

BTW, if they fire Acta it will be the most ridiculous thing they've done since, well, last wednesday. Talk about a scapegoat.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:37 pm

Prosecutor wrote:
My dad was watching the game and during the 2nd inning he told me that Masterson, he thought, was the only pitcher worth holding on to at all costs. While I agree, this proves that we might have the worst staff in the Central right now...might...we do. Bat is still young and still only going to get better, but something isn't right.

I thought Masterson had finally figured it out last year. His ERA dropped from 4.70 in 2011 to 3.21. He was clearly one of the best starting pitchers in the league. Now he's back to 4.78. Yeah, something isn't right.

Was his 2011 season a fluke and this year he regressed to his mean? It sure seems that way. Last year he was talking about how he figured out how to keep his mechanics in line. It looks like that's not the case anymore.

Is he worth "holding on to at all costs"? No way -he's a below average starter. However, I wouldn't trade him because we'd be selling low. Nothing to do except hope he can repeat his 2011 season next year.

I see Masterson and Ubaldo as similar pitchers. They have great arms and when their complicated mechanics are perfectly in sync they can dominate any lineup. The problem is they can't keep it in sync, so they bounce back and forth between dominance and suck. I don't see any reason why this will be any different next year. I don't agree that "Bat is still young and is only going to get better". That didn't hold true for Fausto after his 19-win season, which was a flukey as Bat's 2011 and Ubaldo's first half of 2010.

So what is it? Is he a below average starter? Or would we be selling low? Because it can't be both.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby pup » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:50 pm

If there is a move this organization would make, to "bring back the fans", it is most certainly fire Acta (who is brutal whether it matters or not) and hire Sandy Alomar. Thome as the hitting coach. Nagy pitching coach. Omar infield coach. Lofton outfielders and baserunning. Albert as maniac coach.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB