Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Future Indians Attendance- Dolan Ownership

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Future Indians Attendance- Dolan Ownership

Unread postby DanErie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:54 pm

I believe that without the Dolan's getting out soon, this organization is doomed. I'm a longtime season tickholder, one that has stuck through thick and thin. But the continued acceptance of mediocre management, spending what money they do poorly, and never having any excuse but, it;'s the fans fault for not coming out and supporting our failed product just doesn't wash with us anymore.

It's either time to quit marketing the team through fireworks, dollar dogs, and bobbleheads and begin to do it the old fashioned way, by running a competant, successful organization or what few diehards they have left will be leaving them in the dust very very soon.
DanErie

Re: Future Indians Attendance- Dolan Ownership

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:25 pm

:hide: Maybe Lerner will use his windfall to buy the Tribe.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby TonyBagadonuts » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:06 pm

The way this season set up was perfect for the Dolans. Beaten down expectations due to another inactive offseason, a good start pushed ticket sales past estimates, then a tank job right before the trade deadline so they have the built in excuse not to add salary or trade prospects.

"We'll spend when the time is right." Over and over again.

"Well? We're waiting."

If this wasn't the right time, I'm not sure when it ever will be.

These guys just don't know how to run a business. Like Lerner. Same thing. Larry Dolan was an attorney. Paul Dolan, Randy Lerner ... these guys would be failures running a fantasy football league. Neither has an ounce of PR sense either. The Paul Dolan "if everything breaks right we can hope to contend once every five years" comment was my personal favorite.

The Indians had one of the worst 7-8 year stretches of drafting players in recent baseball history from '02-'10. Most of the people responsible for that abomination are still in the front office. That's all you really need to know right there.

Stupid owners can win titles. Shit, it almost happened with this team in 2007.

But it makes it REALLY hard.

And we need all the help we can get.

:pb:
TonyBagadonuts

Favorite Player: Frank Pentangeli
Least Favorite Player: Sam Gravano

Unread postby TribeinLA » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:27 pm

Fuck the Dolans. Bottom line. Start carrying those signs to the games...make that slogan into bumper sticker. Afraid of offending the youngins? Don't be. They'll feel exactly like us in no time.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:30 am

I'm really hoping the Lerner situation gets the Dolans in a selling mood as well.

The problem with the Dolans selling the team right now is they've run the organization so far into the ground, I doubt it's worth anywhere near what they bought it for 12 years ago -- that's not an easy feat to accomplish, but by god they did it!!

I really hope some accountant in their organization sits down with them TODAY and says, "Sometimes it's just best to cut your losses."
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:37 am

They bought it for 323mm in '00. Most estimates right now have the team worth 400-420mm.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 am

swerb wrote:They bought it for 323mm in '00. Most estimates right now have the team worth 400-420mm.

The team is worth what somebody else will pay for it. Not a penny more. And right now, I don't see a mad rush to offer the Dolans $400M for a team that has no stars, is lucky to play .500 ball, and has a minor-league system that is almost bereft of major-league prospects.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:43 am

jerryroche wrote:
swerb wrote:They bought it for 323mm in '00. Most estimates right now have the team worth 400-420mm.

The team is worth what somebody else will pay for it. Not a penny more. And right now, I don't see a mad rush to offer the Dolans $400M for a team that has no stars, is lucky to play .500 ball, and has a minor-league system that is almost bereft of major-league prospects.

Then you may not be paying very close attention to sports economics at this time. ;-) ;) :wink:

If you don't think someone will pay $400m for the right to print money for the next 20 years then I'm not sure what else to say. The rising tide of the Dodgers sale alone will lift all ships.

$450-$500m guaranteed. That's today. May be more tomorrow.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:49 am

peeker643 wrote:If you don't think someone will pay $400m for the right to print money for the next 20 years then I'm not sure what else to say. The rising tide of the Dodgers sale alone will lift all ships. $450-$500m guaranteed. That's today. May be more tomorrow.

I may be having a Navin Johnson moment here, thanks to you, Peeker...

Navin: I've already given away eight pencils, two hula dolls and an ash tray, and I've only taken in $15.
Frosty: Navin, you've taken in $15 and given away 50 cents of crap—which is a net profit of $14.50!
Navin: Ahhhhh. It's a profit deal! That takes the pressure off...
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:10 am

Can we merge this into Tribe in LA's move the team to New Orleans thread so I only have one pointless thread to avoid? Thanks.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:13 am

Ugh. Think of the taxes on that gain. (shudders)
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:17 pm

peeker643 wrote:
jerryroche wrote:

Then you may not be paying very close attention to sports economics at this time. ;-) ;) :wink:

If you don't think someone will pay $400m for the right to print money for the next 20 years then I'm not sure what else to say. The rising tide of the Dodgers sale alone will lift all ships.

Yup. There's a reason that the Dodgers just sold for $2 Billion dollars. Two. Fucking. Billion.

Incredible. Does anyone remember what they were valued at? My guess is $800 Mil - $1 Bil.

If you think the Indians wouldn't snatch $400 mil you're crazy. Free money if you have the scratch to get it.

I'm obviously not in love with the Dolans, but I'm also terrified of a new owner moving them out of town. ANd what good argument would there be to keep them here?

(That's retorical. We already have that thread)
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby TribeinLA » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:36 pm

gotribe31 wrote:Can we merge this into Tribe in LA's move the team to New Orleans thread so I only have one pointless thread to avoid? Thanks.

NO let's move into yours about how the front office is solid and your rearview mirror love for the 2009 draft. That'll work better. And I do not have a thread. I made a post in a thread. You grinder you. And please leave my name out of your posts. :dead:
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby jb » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:02 pm

motherscratcher wrote:If you think the Indians wouldn't snatch $400 mil you're crazy.

You said "snatch".
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:50 pm

TribeinLA wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:Can we merge this into Tribe in LA's move the team to New Orleans thread so I only have one pointless thread to avoid? Thanks.

NO let's move into yours about how the front office is solid and your rearview mirror love for the 2009 draft. That'll work better. And I do not have a thread. I made a post in a thread. You grinder you. And please leave my name out of your posts. :dead:

TribeinLA
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB