Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Hector Luna

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Hector Luna

Unread postby Charboneau » Sun May 13, 2007 4:48 pm

I know at time Luna was painful to watch in the field but I am so sick of watching Barfield stink I almost miss Hector. I'm not a panic button kind of guy but Barfield looks totally lost. How many at bats is it going to take to get this guy going. I relaize he is hitting the ball better as of late but still not anywhere close to the production I tought he would give us offensively.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Dustin Pedroia

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sun May 13, 2007 4:57 pm

Stick with Josh. He might be struggling at the plate but at least he does a solid job catching the ball and fielding the 2nd base position.

Luna spikes himself trying to move to his left or right.

Inglett should get a call up befor Luna is even remotely considered.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby Charboneau » Sun May 13, 2007 5:05 pm

MadThinker88 wrote:Stick with Josh. He might be struggling at the plate but at least he does a solid job catching the ball and fielding the 2nd base position.

Luna spikes himself trying to move to his left or right.

Inglett should get a call up befor Luna is even remotely considered.

You're right. Barfield is a huge upgrade on defense. Inglett won't give us any more punch offensively. I would take Luna over him - but I guess we'll just have to hope our boy Josh comes around at the plate. He did do a nice job of hitting in his second at bat today.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Sun May 13, 2007 5:15 pm

If I'm understanding you correctly, you wold take Luna before Inglett.

I'm on the otherside in that debate. Little Joe hustles, plays decent defensive at multiple positions and he could do some of the 'small' things necessary from time to time (laying a bunt, steal a base, hit behind the runner).

After his performance this spring, I was shocked that Cleveland even gave Luna the opportunity to play at AAA. When space is needed on the 40 man roster (currently only 39 spots are filled), I see Luna being removed for whatever else is needed.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby lovsgrady » Sun May 13, 2007 8:31 pm

I don't care if Barfield is not hitting a lot. He's getting better, but his defense is phenominal. Why would you bring up that slow cow for a great player, who we know can hit, who is still adjusting. It is only May. Give him a chance. He had two triples yesterday. Hector Luna playing well is about as rare as a blue moon. (Luna...moon) ha. Barfield is a better player by far. He raises the bar on the field...ha again, boy am I full of it tonight. 8) :cool: 8-)
Why so serious
lovsgrady
Future Mrs. Sizemore

Unread postby Charboneau » Sun May 13, 2007 9:38 pm

lovsgrady wrote:I don't care if Barfield is not hitting a lot. He's getting better, but his defense is phenominal. Why would you bring up that slow cow for a great player, who we know can hit, who is still adjusting. It is only May. Give him a chance. He had two triples yesterday. Hector Luna playing well is about as rare as a blue moon. (Luna...moon) ha. Barfield is a better player by far. He raises the bar on the field...ha again, boy am I full of it tonight. 8) :cool: 8-)

All good points. I am just frustrated with Barfield right now. I think my expectations set the bar way too high. While I agree he's adjusting to another league I don't think he will ever be a great hitter. He was a good hitter in SD. I'm just tired of watching him swing at sliders down and away and swinging at fastballs over his head. I hope in a few weeks everyone here can come back and taunt me with "I told you so". Trust me - I want him to be very good!
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun May 13, 2007 9:47 pm

Barfield batted over .300 for the past week. It's progress. I think he's starting to put it together.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Sun May 13, 2007 11:25 pm

Yeah, definitely stick with Barfield. Luna is what he is, while Barfield is a young player still coming into his own. Even at his worst, Barfield is better than Luna.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby BruceK » Mon May 14, 2007 2:24 pm

Mr Charboneau --

This is one of those old CSML anti-hex things, right?

Because for the first two weeks of May, he's hitting .308, with .341 OBP and .436 slugging.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... yerId=5920
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: Hector Luna

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon May 14, 2007 4:17 pm

Charboneau wrote:I know at time Luna was painful to watch in the field but I am so sick of watching Barfield stink I almost miss Hector.

Okay, that's pretty much the worst take involving middle infielders ever. As mentioned, Barfield has been hitting much better and Luna is a fungus. His defense in Spring Training was otherwordly. Mike Rouse is in the majors. I think this tells you what you need to know about Mr. Luna.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Hoover » Mon May 14, 2007 7:30 pm

"Luna is a fungus."

Funniest comment on the net today. :lol:
Hoover

Unread postby Charboneau » Tue May 15, 2007 11:29 am

I have to apologize for this post. While I never was a Luna fan I got extremely POed at Barfield Sunday when he chased a slider for strike three that was alomst 3 feet off the plate. Then swung at strike three later at a fastball over his head.

I will admit, I had HUGE expectations for Barfield coming in. I am very happy to see him hitting the ball better - but my post Sunday was based on me fuming over his undisciplined approach to hitting his first month with the Tribe. Yes I know he's adjusting to a new league, yes I know he has to play his way through things and yes I know he is better than Luna.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue May 15, 2007 11:42 am

Charboneau wrote:I have to apologize for this post.

Hey, it's all good.
...but my post Sunday was based on me fuming over his undisciplined approach to hitting his first month with the Tribe. Yes I know he's adjusting to a new league, yes I know he has to play his way through things and yes I know he is better than Luna.

Well, this is a valid concern with Barfield. He was never a patient hitter in the minors nor in San Diego, and although it's not unprecedented for hitters to develop better plate discipline in the majors (hey, I never believed Jeff Franceour would, and look at him now), it's not exactly "likely."

No, Barfield looks like a guy who is always going to have to maintain a highish batting average to be an offensive plus. He did that on the road last season (Petco psyched him out, I think), and he has enough natural plate coverage to be a .270-.280 hitter, which would be good enough, but I don't think you're going to see anything like Real Plate Discipline from Barfield in 2007.

The good news is that he is in the right organization to develop the skill. But I think the Tribe is a lot more concerned with him simply adjusting to the AL and playing good defense than they are changing the approach of a guy still hadn't been born the last time Michael Jackson was relevant.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Charboneau » Tue May 15, 2007 12:43 pm

All solid points Steve. Thanks for the insight.
Charboneau
Wedge Loyalist

Unread postby lovsgrady » Thu May 17, 2007 6:27 pm

what i don't get is that you expect someone in his sophomore season to adjust by mid-April...are you kiding me. Even some Vets don't even adjust that quick. Barfield will come around. His defense has certainly picked us up...He is having a fantasic may, so i am not worried.
Why so serious
lovsgrady
Future Mrs. Sizemore

Unread postby tribefan333 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:21 pm

No stick with Barfield. Josh's upside is so sky high compared to Luna-a utility guy who can't field-there's no comparison. Josh is also very fast and has shown spurts of greatness. I'm willing to wait on Josh to see his potential.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB