Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Rare Baseball Films—The Newsreels

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Rare Baseball Films—The Newsreels

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:42 am

Dave Filipi presents: Rare Baseball Films—The Newsreels
Friday, July 20, 2012 6:30 p.m. Lecture Hall

Dave Filipi, Director of Film/Video at the Wexner Center for the Arts in Columbus, presents a new program of “Rare Baseball Films.” This year’s show draws on the Hearst Metrotone News Collection at the UCLA Film & Television Archive. Before television, theatrical newsreels allowed fans across the country to see ballplayers in action. This compilation, spanning five decades, includes such highlights as Stan Musial’s 3,000th hit; Indians players trying to catch baseballs tossed from the top of Terminal Tower; Jackie Robinson relaxing at home; Sandy Koufax’s retirement; and more! Thanks to Todd Wiener and Steven Hill, UCLA Film & Television Archive. USA, 1927–69, b&w/color, Beta SP, approx. 120 min.
Special admission $10; CMA members, seniors 65 & over, students $8; no vouchers or passes.

http://www.clevelandart.org/events/films.aspx
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Rare Baseball Films—The Newsreels

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:45 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Indians players trying to catch baseballs tossed from the top of Terminal Tower;

http://www.clevelandart.org/events/films.aspx

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/clevelan ... chive/8426

Can someone in Columbus YouTube it? j/k
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:44 am

If they want to show some really rare baseball film, how about some footage of the Indians celebrating a World Series win?

Not that I'm not jacked to see Sandy Koufax relaxing at home or anything.

Seriously, I love old, grainy baseball film. Ty Cobb stealing bases, Feller with the high leg kick, stuff like that. Wish I could be there.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:19 am

Prosecutor wrote:Seriously, I love old, grainy baseball film. Ty Cobb stealing bases, Feller with the high leg kick, stuff like that. Wish I could be there.

There's lots on YouTube. You can find fascinating stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKNV-GxeAio

For instance, this is from a '48 WS game in Cleveland. Boudreau bringing Satchel Paige into the game and handing him the ball at about :30. Check out the outfield wall at the Stadium, and the Browns vs. Brooklyn sign out there. At the end of the clip, there's outside footage with the Stadium in the background.
googleeph2

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:19 pm

The old footage is really odd if you sit there and watch it. People don't move like we do today. They kinda all jangle and shuffle around. And everyone wore hats. From 1650-1940 every man wore a hat.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby googleeph2 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:45 am

Yeah, although that newsreel spliced in a clip of Tribe fans celebrating after a Boston Braves score.

Another thing about back then, too: they seemingly all sang the national anthem at sporting events. My mom said one thing she liked about Browns games back in the day to hear all the men sing.
Although I suppose if we just sent a generation of young men to beat back a play for world dominance, we'd have a resurgence in nat'l anthem singing today as well.
googleeph2

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:41 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:The old footage is really odd if you sit there and watch it. People don't move like we do today. They kinda all jangle and shuffle around. And everyone wore hats. From 1650-1940 every man wore a hat.

A lot of coats and ties to go along with those hats. And most people weren't as fat, either.

I can't believe the announcer said that Boudreau was bringing in Paige to "mop up the mound." I was looking for the mop and bucket.

Satchel definitely was not one of those relievers who sprinted to the mound when his number was called.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB