Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Interesting Starting Pitching Situation

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Interesting Starting Pitching Situation

Unread postby tribefan333 » Sun May 13, 2007 4:24 pm

With C.C. being a free agent at the end of next season, and Hafner still to be resigned, we have a couple of options with our rotation within the next season or 2.

Our left handed starters:
1. C.C. Sabathia-our ace. One of the best lefty pitchers in the AL, he will be able to demand a large contract.
2. Cliff Lee-Imo, aside from Boston's staff Lee is the best #3 starter in baseball.
3. Jeremy Sowers-One of the better young pitchers in baseball, Sowers has been compared to Jamie Moyer, which isn't a bad comparison. He's got a lot of upside.

Our right handed starters:
1. Jake Westbrook-Innings eater, solid pitcher who we have signed for a couple of years.
2. Paul Byrd-He's shown some good improvement, but is still over 35 and isn't getting younger. He's very expandable, but has great expierence which is valued.
3. Fausto Carmona-Way too inconsistant, but has been arguably our best pitcher this season (4-1, 3.12 ERA). I want to see about 5 more starts out of him, but if he continues to pitch like this he deserves a spot on the Tribe.
4. Adam Miller-A lot of people view him as a very gifted prospect. On almost every pitching-prospect list I've seen he's in the top 5, usually in the top 3. Still has a 96 mph fastball and now has a deadly slider, he's ready-now. Many say he will not only start, he'll replace Westbrook as our #2 starter.

Now Lee at the 3 and Westbrook at the 2 are both set into place., leaving the 1, 4, and 5 spots open. First off, if we resign C.C., I'm happy. I believe in having a true ace, and Sabathia can be our guy. That being said, there are 2 HUGE free agents who will be available after this season, and teams will be looking to trade.

1. Ichiro-my Goodness. We get Ichiro and have a possible top 4 of Ichiro, Sizemore, Hafner, and Martinez that's instantly the best top 4 in baseball. He's a fantastic fielder with a cannon for a right arm-something that's valuable at right field.

2. A-Rod-Yeah, A-Rod. How this would work financially on our side I don't know. It might be a situation of a sign-and-trade, and NYY would need to swallow a lot of his $$$. No way do we have the money to take on 25 million a year. (Dolan may have some secret money hidden, but not that much). Giving NYY C.C. is something I'm against, but considering we'd still have a solid staff and have another amazing bat, it's worth the risk imo.

Grady, Nixon, Hafner, A-Rod, Martinez is unpitchable.

Again, I want C.C. as our ace, but the fact that we have 2 pitchers who can come in be a force, we have a lot of firepower to work with.

So why not trade Miller or Fausto? Carmona has shown he has sky-high potential, and we still have Miller as a high-ranked right handed pitcher prospect. Trading one of them seems to be the most logical, if we can resign Pronk and C.C.

Ichiro has said he want's to go to a contender, and he could lead the league in SB and runs with Grady and Pronk batting behind him. Sizemore has too much power to be lead-off, but has all the other tools wanted as a hitter. (He's perfect). So having Ichiro on the basepaths on for him 3/10 of the time, and with speed to score from first, our run production jumps a good 20-50 runs a season.

A-Rod is very unlikely, but if we get another powerful bat our line-up is 100% complete. Also don't forget there were some very serious rumors about Carmona and Peralta for Hanley Ramirez and a pitching prospect. I'd do this as well. Ramirez can easily hit .310 every year, is solid with a glove, and is a true speedster. Again, having him on base for Sizemore is a true powerhouse. These were just rumors that were never confirmed.

Miller or Carmona for Ichiro? Where do I sign? Even when Byrd leaves, we'd still have a fantastic right arm to replace him. Carmona and Peralta for Rameriz? Where do I sign?

Thoughts?
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby pup » Sun May 13, 2007 8:18 pm

3. Jeremy Sowers-One of the better young pitchers in baseball, Sowers has been compared to Jamie Moyer, which isn't a bad comparison. He's got a lot of upside.

And elephantitis of his ERA.

3. Fausto Carmona-Way too inconsistant, but has been arguably our best pitcher this season (4-1, 3.12 ERA). I want to see about 5 more starts out of him, but if he continues to pitch like this he deserves a spot on the Tribe.

Inconsistent? When? When they were yanking his chain back and forth between starter, 8th inning, closer. He has a better idea of what is going on with pitching than anyone but CC. Of everyone who has been up here, he is the one that will be around the longest.

So why not trade Miller or Fausto?

Because in 2 years, that is the top of our rotation. I think it is pretty clear. A-Rod will never be an Indian. Now Ichiro is interesting, but they are not going to give up either of those guys to get it done. If we trade a SP, it will be Byrd, for some more bullpen help.

Carmona and Peralta for Rameriz?

The only deal you mentioned that would have any chance, from the Indians side, but I doubt Florida is going to be moving Hanley any time soon.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby tribefan333 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:19 pm

These are obviously just the high-profile trades that may happen if a deal regarding CC, Sowers, Miller, Carmona or any SP is needed.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Unread postby lovsgrady » Thu May 17, 2007 8:28 pm

I don't want to see any of those guys go. :cry :cry:
Fun fact here...or at least it is for me...Sowers signs autographs with his mit on his head. That is just cool, and so cute.
About Grady hitting with power...tell me, everytime, Grady leads off with his power, how many games have we won, and how much have we scored. In the past two games Grady has hit at least a double to start the game, before todays, he struck out :cry :cry: , but back to my point. He scored at least 3 times each game. Why would you move him. SO many players and coaches have said that if he gets on, it gets everyone else going, and I agree. Why would you move him. Look at those home runs that he hit to leadoff the game...you could argue that someone could have been on base, but come on, that pumps our team up. Grady is perfect and he is perfect right where he is. Besides, I like the fact that if we are away from the jake, Grady is the first thing I see. :oops: (inlove)
Why so serious
lovsgrady
Future Mrs. Sizemore

Unread postby tribefan333 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:31 pm

Well everyone also thought Grady would be hitting 30+ HR's this year. I'd still like to see him moved to the #2 spot. Him being on for Pronk can only be a good thing. This is also the reason I am watching Ichiro so closely as a lead-off guy.

TT was said C.C. will be resigned with us reaching the playoffs or being in the lead at the deadline, and I happen to agree with him.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Unread postby The Math God » Sun May 20, 2007 2:48 pm

It is way too early to worry about a trade.

My bigger concern is what do we do when Westbrook comes back.

I think Sowers is going to have a mystery "injury" and have to go to Buffalo for rehab.
A far better choice than sending him to AAA.

While he is getting healthy, we can start thinking about moving somebody as it will be a bit closer to July.
The Math God

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 20, 2007 3:10 pm

Bust the bank and sign C.C. and Pronk.

Make a run with this great young staff and the core of good hitters we got.

You only get to cash this talent in for a WS ring once a decade it seems.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun May 20, 2007 3:22 pm

Well everyone also thought Grady would be hitting 30+ HR's this year. I'd still like to see him moved to the #2 spot. Him being on for Pronk can only be a good thing. This is also the reason I am watching Ichiro so closely as a lead-off guy.

I don't think Grady is a #2. He'd be best as a #3 hitter if we can find someone to leadoff who has a high OBP and steals bases. Trevor Crowe is still our best internal hope for that spot, though he's struggling this season. Grady may be leadoff for a while.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby tribefan333 » Sun May 20, 2007 6:43 pm

The Math God wrote:It is way too early to worry about a trade.

My bigger concern is what do we do when Westbrook comes back.

When Westbrook comes back it may be in our best interest to do a...trade. All depends on what is out there. It may not be until the deadline but teams can always start looking.

Mr. Mac I agree with ya, 2 or 3 spot works for me. As long as we can get more guys on base for Grady, especially if those guys have speed and can score on those doubles to the gaps Sizemore always gets.

I want to resign Pronk first, no questions asked. We have to resign Hafner before moving on with C.C.. Unfortunatly, it seems talks with Hafner have stopped but who knows. Both can and probably will demand top dollar.

Talks with Florida of a Carmona for Rameriz trade have probably been killed by our part. Fausto is lights out so that's probably not an option.

I know these are all big names, but it seems the only high profile player that would even be mentioned for CC if we can't resign him would be Ichiro, which has not been mentioned. Will Vernon Wells be a free agent after this season? I think I remember something about him, and he'd certainly be high-profile.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB