Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

CP RAGING!

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: CP RAGING!

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 20, 2012 10:48 pm

Adam, do you have a link for that 14K number?

I disagree with your "And it's not the team's fault. I don't blame ownership either, but I'm clearly in the minority with that." IMO the team has some responsibility for attendance as we're seeing it right now. It's easy to say fans are stupid, it's also lazy, but not necessarily totally inaccurate. Fans have memories, just like women, what have you done for me lately. They also connect the dots, and seeing exactly what the FO does each year plays a part. I mean Derrick Lowe is the highest paid player on the team, yikes.

Baseball in this town has competition, and I'm not just talking about the Browns/Cavs. It takes place during the premium weather season this town has, so people will and do find other things to do, people will prioritize baseball in this town, when the team earns it through winning. The fans here have proven that.

Winning, weather and wallets all play a part in a fans decision to go to the ballpark on any given day.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun May 20, 2012 10:50 pm

cozmeesah wrote:Some of you are the most sour pricks I have ever come across. I often find myself wondering why the fuck you're even ON this board. With the obvious disdain you have for anything and everything regarding this team, why don't you do yourselves and the rest of us a favor and find something else to follow?

This is supposed to be a fun distraction from real life, yet all you fuckers do is overanalyze and bitch, bitch, blame, then bitch some more. Completely illustrating Perez's point.

Stop taking shit so seriously and personally, quit playing the victim, remove the etermal pessimist stick from your ass and try to enjoy something for once in your life. It's not that damn serious. This is not a UN Summit on nuclear warfare here, it's just baseball.

meet

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 20, 2012 11:00 pm

FUDU wrote:Adam, do you have a link for that 14K number?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagu ... misc.shtml

Right now, it's 15,518, without May 20 included. I think it was 14,7something when I looked on Friday.

I disagree with your "And it's not the team's fault. I don't blame ownership either, but I'm clearly in the minority with that." IMO the team has some responsibility for attendance as we're seeing it right now. It's easy to say fans are stupid, it's also lazy, but not necessarily totally inaccurate. Fans have memories, just like women, what have you done for me lately. They also connect the dots, and seeing exactly what the FO does each year plays a part. I mean Derrick Lowe is the highest paid player on the team, yikes.

Derek Lowe makes $5M for us. The Braves are covering 2/3 of his salary. Hafner's technically the highest paid player.

Fans are stupid. Listen to any one of them at a game. You're far more likely to find somebody who has no idea what the fuck is going on than someone who is informed. The shit I hear on the Porch is mind-blowingly stupid. That's if they're actually paying attention to the game.

When I said it's not the team's fault, I meant that solely by this season's performance. The fact that they're in first place. If we want to extend it, the marketing department really doesn't do that great of a job and the marketing campaign with these "What If" commercials showing the heydays of the 90s doesn't really click with people. It's more of a reminder of what used to be and what no longer is than something that entices people to come to the ballpark.

Baseball in this town has competition, and I'm not just talking about the Browns/Cavs. It takes place during the premium weather season this town has, so people will and do find other things to do, people will prioritize baseball in this town, when the team earns it through winning. The fans here have proven that.

Winning, weather and wallets all play a part in a fans decision to go to the ballpark on any given day.

I completely understand that, but we're talking about a metro area of what, nearly 2M people? You mean to tell me that 1.985M people have something better to do on a nightly basis? I don't buy it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby FUDU » Sun May 20, 2012 11:08 pm

I was kidding on the link Adam, see my post above yours on previous page.

Thanks for correcting me on Lowe.

When you think about everything that goes into attending Tribe game downtown yeah I do buy that a lot of people can come up with a few good reasons not to go. Nightly basis...that's the thing, timing does come into play particularly for a family. IMO people are discounting life way too much in looking at the how & why regarding attendance. Again, people will change priorities if the team is consistently winning, now THAT can be accurately described as fair weather, but so what, it is totally justified.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon May 21, 2012 12:34 am

skatingtripods wrote:
Ain't hard. I park for free, stand on the Porch for $8-12, grab food somewhere else before I go downtown, and don't waste my money buying beers because I'm not some alcoholic fuck who can't wait 3 hours to have a beer.

:clap:

If people really wanted to, they could see the Indians for cheap. They would need to exercise a little self control when they get there though :pigs:

The only problem I ever have (on top of the gas prices now having to drive from Va Beach to Cleveland) is having to shelve out $20 -$25 for parking because my 88 year old grandma cant walk all over downtown cleveland.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Bigfist » Mon May 21, 2012 7:00 am

Is there anyone...ANYONE..on this forum who can put together an intelligent, well thought out, post without resorting to the word "fuck" about a thousand times in said post? I mean..what is the point? Do you think it adds emphasis? Because if you do, you are sorely wrong. Do you think it makes you sound tough? Yeah, right..I guess that is it.
Bigfist

Favorite Player: AJ Griffin
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Juden

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:07 am

Fuck no.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby neoleo » Mon May 21, 2012 10:10 am

There are a lot of things that go into attendence. Season ticket sales being a big one. Adam, you mentioned up thread the bad teams who are out-drawing us right now from cold weather cities, and all of them have either; A. a dome, B. a new stadium, and/or C. a recent track record of making the post season. We have D, none of the above, which means we have less of a season ticket base to draw attendance figures from.

And that brings me to my next point, weather. When the weather has been as bad as it has up until this weekend, you're not going to have big walkup crowds. I'm sure Colorado, Seattle and Minnesota had some shitty weather games where they had less than 10K in the stands like us, but the difference is they could announce 15,000+ because of the pre-sale no-shows from season ticket packages.

Of course school is not out yet either. I know this is the same everywhere and every year, but it just seems like this has been an unlucky year for the schedule. Not a lot of great weekend games and the ones we did have, were with bad weather (again, until this weekend and look at the attendance).

And that's not mentioning the whole ownership thing and the leftover sting from years past, which you guys seem to have a grasp on.

As for Perez, my opinion is he should shut up. He doesn't like being booed in dumb sitiations? I can live with that if he said it in an intelligent way. But to come out and sound like a whiny bitch while making unlogical connections between things he knows nothing about, makes him sound like, well, a whiny bitch.

I go to a lot of games per year, usually in the bleachers because it's what I can afford. I took a day off work on opening day and sat in the lower bowl (i.e. more than I can afford) and sat through 16 innings in freezing temperatures (no thanks to Perez). I also came back the next day to watch them lose again, and have been back multiple times since. I know he wasn't exactly talking to me in his rant, but I take offense to it anyway. There are a lot of people like me who love the team but just can't afford to be there as much as they would want to be. To take a shot at them because they're not there is more of a "slap in the face" than it was for a few hundred idiots to boo him in a tie game.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon May 21, 2012 10:28 am

Bigfist wrote:Is there anyone...ANYONE..on this forum who can put together an intelligent, well thought out, post without resorting to the word "fuck" about a thousand times in said post? I mean..what is the point? Do you think it adds emphasis? Because if you do, you are sorely wrong. Do you think it makes you sound tough? Yeah, right..I guess that is it.

Profanity is the only thing I was ever good at. You can't take that away from me.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon May 21, 2012 11:08 am

--- ugh, nevermind.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby dmiles » Mon May 21, 2012 1:07 pm

What ever happened to just root root for the home team? (said from the retard who can't seem to embed youtube). Sam Malone...

http://youtu.be/QxaQ9cKYQXo
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 21, 2012 3:01 pm

pup wrote:1. A shitty front office who blew more drafts than humanly possible.

Here's a stat for you. It won't change the point you made, but it's pretty incredible.

adater ‏@adater
Just heard a shocking stat on Fox 31: Under Dan O'Dowd, Rockies have drafted 270 pitchers in 10 years. FIVE have pitched in Majors

And yes, he was the assistant GM for the Indians at one point in his career.

Now, in O'Dowd's defense, they have had a handful of international free agents pitch in the bigs for them, but that's still a really ugly stat for them.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby idoctribefan » Mon May 21, 2012 4:43 pm

neoleo wrote:I go to a lot of games per year, usually in the bleachers because it's what I can afford. I took a day off work on opening day and sat in the lower bowl (i.e. more than I can afford) and sat through 16 innings in freezing temperatures (no thanks to Perez). I also came back the next day to watch them lose again, and have been back multiple times since. I know he wasn't exactly talking to me in his rant, but I take offense to it anyway. There are a lot of people like me who love the team but just can't afford to be there as much as they would want to be. To take a shot at them because they're not there is more of a "slap in the face" than it was for a few hundred idiots to boo him in a tie game.

^this x 2

Adam, where do you park for free?
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 21, 2012 4:53 pm

idoctribefan wrote:Adam, where do you park for free?

There are 4 different places. The parking meters are only in operation until 6 pm. After that, you can park at them for free. So, if you find a meter spot, you can throw in whatever amount of change it takes to get you up to 6 pm. Another option is on the brick road between Erie St. Cemetery and that parking lot on E. 9th across from the player's parking lot. There's a sign probably about 3/4 of the way to E. 14th that says no parking past this point. You can park behind that. It fills up quickly though. Another place is on Carnegie, right past World Auto Parts. There are no meters, but it's a one hour parking 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you park there at 5, one hour makes 6 and then the sign isn't enforced. There are only 4 spots there, but they're the last ones to fill up.

Finally, my favorite spot is on Canal Rd. in the visitors parking lot at Cleveland Thermal. It's a bitch to get to now with all of the construction. Easy for me because I live 10 mins from it and know the back ways. If you're coming downtown from the Ontario exit, you take the detour signs down to the Tower City lot. Instead of pulling in to TC, you keep going, underneath a bridge where the road curves, and then it's on the right. Walk up a few flights of steps right up to Ontario St. I've never been bothered parking there for night games or weekend games. I park as far from the Cleveland Thermal entrance as possible just in case.

Obviously, none of these places are options for weekday afternoon games. For the meters/brick road/Carnegie, as long as you're there by 6:15, you have a chance at getting one of them. After that, you're probably screwed.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby neoleo » Mon May 21, 2012 5:04 pm

I park for free all the time too, usually a bit further down on Prospect at the meters and use the same logic Adam just posted. I parked in front of the Wolstein Center on E18 and Prospect for Saturday's game and walked the 9 blocks to the game in a few minutes. I usually end up there out of familiarity and to avoid innerbelt/E9/Carnegie construction (I take the shoreway from the west side and loop around to 90 W and exit at Prospect, take a right off the exit and there are always open meters available).
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby idoctribefan » Mon May 21, 2012 5:17 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
idoctribefan wrote:Adam, where do you park for free?

There are 4 different places. The parking meters are only in operation until 6 pm. After that, you can park at them for free. So, if you find a meter spot, you can throw in whatever amount of change it takes to get you up to 6 pm. Another option is on the brick road between Erie St. Cemetery and that parking lot on E. 9th across from the player's parking lot. There's a sign probably about 3/4 of the way to E. 14th that says no parking past this point. You can park behind that. It fills up quickly though. Another place is on Carnegie, right past World Auto Parts. There are no meters, but it's a one hour parking 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you park there at 5, one hour makes 6 and then the sign isn't enforced. There are only 4 spots there, but they're the last ones to fill up.

Finally, my favorite spot is on Canal Rd. in the visitors parking lot at Cleveland Thermal. It's a bitch to get to now with all of the construction. Easy for me because I live 10 mins from it and know the back ways. If you're coming downtown from the Ontario exit, you take the detour signs down to the Tower City lot. Instead of pulling in to TC, you keep going, underneath a bridge where the road curves, and then it's on the right. Walk up a few flights of steps right up to Ontario St. I've never been bothered parking there for night games or weekend games. I park as far from the Cleveland Thermal entrance as possible just in case.

Obviously, none of these places are options for weekday afternoon games. For the meters/brick road/Carnegie, as long as you're there by 6:15, you have a chance at getting one of them. After that, you're probably screwed.

Thanks.

I usually take the Ontario exit and turn left onto Carnegie/Commercial and go down the hill toward Canal Rd. I'll usually park at that lot on the corner where they charge you $8 and give you a bag of peanuts or I park at Tower City and take the walkway over. I heard that Canal Rd. is having periodic closings now due to bridge construction. Must admit that I haven't been to a game in over a month BUT I attend EVERY game that my schedule allows. Only have 4 days off of work in all of May (including sundays) and Tribe is on the road or idle (I have today off) all 4 of those days.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon May 21, 2012 5:35 pm

That road is closed now with the new innerbelt bridge construction. Cleveland Thermal is a right at that stop sign and then around the curve.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon May 21, 2012 6:36 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Bigfist wrote:Is there anyone...ANYONE..on this forum who can put together an intelligent, well thought out, post without resorting to the word "fuck" about a thousand times in said post? I mean..what is the point? Do you think it adds emphasis? Because if you do, you are sorely wrong. Do you think it makes you sound tough? Yeah, right..I guess that is it.

Profanity is the only thing I was ever good at. You can't take that away from me.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/21/a-comprehensive-guide-to-on-field-profanity/
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB