Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Indians vs Marlins 18/5/12 Interleague begins

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Indians vs Marlins 18/5/12 Interleague begins

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Fri May 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Had to give up my tickets to tonights game because of a work committment.
Glad I wasn't there to see the sloppy moments that led to the Marlins' runs.
Glad to see there were so many people there tonight. Unfortunately it took fireworks, the Tribe being 4 games or whatever it was in front of Detroit, and it being a Friday to get all those people there, but whatever, hopefully we'll get them tomorrow.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri May 18, 2012 11:35 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:And Manny brings Pestano in now?!

Still hate the call to bring Sipp into a tie game in the 8th.... I don't give a fuck that a lefty was due up.

Bottom of the 9th would be a hell of a good time for Damon's first Tribe HR.

Agree 100%. Guy has two rough outings and all of the sudden he has leprosy.

He's your 8th inning guy. Your best reliever. Sure, that guy's a lefty, but he's an absolute scrub. Reyes is a switch hitter.

Hated Manny's decision tonight. Hated that he went to Smith after Sipp as well. Runner on 2B and 1 out, you need a K or a pop up. He got lucky that Smith got the comebacker and then made a terrible decision.

End of the day, you're not going to win scoring 2 runs, but you should have gone to extras and who knows what would have happened then.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat May 19, 2012 2:08 am

I would have went with Pestano but I understand Manny's decision with Sipp. Sipp in Manny's eyes is his #1 lefty and his 7th inning guy. He trusts him and wants to roll with him. Plus as was stated above it was a scrub lefty, he should get that guy out.

The decision to me isn't as frightening as the fact that Sipp cant get that guy out. At some point Hagadone will struggle or could completely fall apart and if Perez still isn't healthy that leaves us with no effective lefties if they cant get Sipp going.

hat being said Manny is going to need to reevaluate his usage of Sipp if he keeps rolling him out there and Sipp keeps pissing the bed.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sat May 19, 2012 6:57 am

Nothing wrong with using Sipp in that situation. He just didn't execute unfortunately.

Smith should have known when he didn't throw the ball to second straight away that he should have been content to just hold the runner at second and get the out at first. He should have known that his hesitation to throw made the play too close even if Kipnis does catch the ball
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sat May 19, 2012 7:21 am

One-quarter of the way through the season and Sipp has a 6.28 ERA. Inexcusable for a reliever. He's been crap all year. I don't know what his problem is but he needs to get it fixed. Fortunately Raffie Perez is starting to throw.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat May 19, 2012 10:14 am

Prosecutor wrote:Fortunately Raffie Perez is starting to throw.

I don't know how "fortunate" we should feel about Raffy Perez starting to throw. Unless his velocity magically came back while he was on the shelf, he'll be nothing more than a warm body out there in the pen.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:55 am

Prosecutor wrote:One-quarter of the way through the season and Sipp has a 6.28 ERA. Inexcusable for a reliever. He's been crap all year. I don't know what his problem is but he needs to get it fixed. Fortunately Raffie Perez is starting to throw.

I blame Radinsky :hide:

:nanner:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby pup » Sat May 19, 2012 10:58 am

peeker643 wrote:
Prosecutor wrote:One-quarter of the way through the season and Sipp has a 6.28 ERA. Inexcusable for a reliever. He's been crap all year. I don't know what his problem is but he needs to get it fixed. Fortunately Raffie Perez is starting to throw.

Where is Luis Isaac when you need him :hide:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat May 19, 2012 10:58 am

Was looking yesterday. Hafner's BABip is only .266. Only a .016 gap from his AVG. His career AVG/BABip gap is up around 40 something points. Dude's really run into a lot of bad luck this year.

For frame of reference:
2011: .280/.332
2010: .278/.332
2009: .272/.297

At some point, these line drives and hard grounders have to start finding some holes. So far, his swinging strike percentage is a career low, thus making his contact percentage a career high. Plate discipline is pretty standard for his averages. Just running into all sorts of bad luck.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:23 am

pup wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Where is Luis Isaac when you need him :hide:

Not sure. Check the coaching rosters of the last 4 or 5 pennant winners in each league. I'm sure he's been leading those bullpens and ball bucket brigades. Ordering and stocking the shelves with the very best in sunflower seeds... all the important stuff that makes the difference in winning and losing.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat May 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Interleague play is the dumbest shit ever and could only be spawned by a vapid and clueless mind like Bud Selig.

I hope he chokes on his bottom lip.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Sat May 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Interleague play is the dumbest shit ever and could only be spawned by a vapid and clueless mind like Bud Selig.

<------Would not be surpised if Bud Selig and David Stern are regular pals that occasionally drink Fresca together. I don't even want to know the types Goodell keeps in his company.

ACab gettin the bats going today with the homer to right; NICE.
LakeErieWarriors

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat May 19, 2012 6:58 pm

LakeErieWarriors wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Interleague play is the dumbest shit ever and could only be spawned by a vapid and clueless mind like Bud Selig.

<------Would not be surpised if Bud Selig and David Stern are regular pals that occasionally drink Fresca together. I don't even want to know the types Goodell keeps in his company.

ACab gettin the bats going today with the homer to right; NICE.

The people Goodell hangs out would have made great goose steppers in the 30's and 40's.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Sat May 19, 2012 8:31 pm

Tribe win. Tigers lose. Tribe has 4th best record in AL. This would be great if it weren't for the fact they were doing even better at this time last year. Good thing is that we've been going thru this whole season short handed and some of the guys (Sizemore et al) should be returning soon. Time will tell.
LakeErieWarriors

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Sat May 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Stern & Selig certainly don't mingle with goose steppers. I bet they know a lawyer and a doctor or two though.
LakeErieWarriors

Unread postby scrambler » Sun May 20, 2012 1:37 am

They've won 14 of the 18 games he's pitched in. He's given up no runs in 13 of his 18 games. His stats are a bit skewed by his one early season of 4 runs in one game disaster ala Chris Perez. He's pitched much better his last 7 or 8. His ERA is 5.65. He's been sub par for sure but shown steady improvement recently. Last 6 games 6.1 innings 3 hits 4 walks 9 strikeouts 1 earned run. He's not been crap all year as these last 6 games indicate.

He could be much better I agree, but 1 game of 4 or 5 runs in a third of an inning can really skew relievers stats when they only pitch an inning or less at a time....it takes awhile to drop a 21 ERA.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun May 20, 2012 10:48 am

ERA is not a good indicator of a matchup lefty's season. He's slightly below his career average BB/9, but that's not really a ringing endorsement because a 4.76 BB/9 for a one or two batter reliever is horrendous. He's at 4.4 BB/9 this year. He's gotten a little bit unlucky on balls in play, but the walks are his own doing. A 1.53 WHIP is unacceptable for a matchup LHP.

Plus, according to Fangraphs, hitters are hitting an insane 36.8% line drives off of him. He hasn't given up runs because the guys after him have been able to keep his inherited runners from scoring.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Previous

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB