Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Casey Blake retires

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Casey Blake retires

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Tue May 08, 2012 7:27 pm

He was much derided as an Indian, but the guy made a pretty good career out of a late start.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/ ... -retiring/
User avatar
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God
 
Posts: 8982
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Cardiff, UK
Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:17 pm

I can't keep my eyes from tearing.

Gonna be twice as bad when Jamey Carroll hangs 'em up.

I imagine Eric Wedge is in black today?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Need to call the statue maker.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue May 08, 2012 8:38 pm

The only thing I'll ever remember Casey Blake for is the top 7th first pitch 5-4-3 DP in Game 7 ALCS.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue May 08, 2012 8:40 pm

skatingtripods wrote:The only thing I'll ever remember Casey Blake for is the top 7th first pitch 5-4-3 DP in Game 7 ALCS.


That series never happened. LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby redneckofsc » Tue May 08, 2012 8:52 pm

skatingtripods wrote:The only thing I'll ever remember Casey Blake for is the top 7th first pitch 5-4-3 DP in Game 7 ALCS.



Or that 30 (or so) game hitting streak where he collectively hit like .260.

Or his RISP of .150
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
User avatar
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder
 
Posts: 4584
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: W/ Russell Branyan
Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:16 pm

redneckofsc wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:The only thing I'll ever remember Casey Blake for is the top 7th first pitch 5-4-3 DP in Game 7 ALCS.



Or that 30 (or so) game hitting streak where he collectively hit like .260.

Or his RISP of .150



I'll always happily remember how unhappy he made you. And idiots like you. And that is statue-worthy. :nanner:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby redneckofsc » Tue May 08, 2012 9:22 pm

Russell Branyan > Casey Blake
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up real nice."

"All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
User avatar
redneckofsc
The Ultimate Grinder
 
Posts: 4584
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: W/ Russell Branyan
Favorite Player: Wil Cordero
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue May 08, 2012 10:29 pm

I dont care what you guys say, Casey was great :dingle: . Good guy, played hard, performed relatively well, solid player, and annoyed 95% of fans. :dingle:
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed May 09, 2012 10:25 am

The first thing that comes to mind when I hear Casey Blake's name is Buffum's classic:

"You can't spell "Blake" without a K and an E, and then all you're left with is "bla."
User avatar
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:59 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:The first thing that comes to mind when I hear Casey Blake's name is Buffum's classic:

"You can't spell "Blake" without a K and an E, and then all you're left with is "bla."


Very well may be one of the best two or three lines ever relate to this site.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed May 09, 2012 11:02 am

Damn I miss Buffum.
User avatar
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed May 09, 2012 4:53 pm

Well he had to go fight the bear mafia in Siberia.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
User avatar
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself
 
Posts: 14422
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:31 am
Location: Galloway Ohio
Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:53 am

Ought to come out with a Mount Rushmore of The Killer B's. Blake, Boone, Broussard, Belliard ... Bard.

Blake was a true Grinder!
User avatar
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis
 
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:17 pm
Location: Erie, PA
Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby Pabo » Thu May 10, 2012 12:37 pm

Blake was not a great ballplayer, but I'll give him credit for coming here and not being a total disaster. He was much better than anyone our farm system could have produced at the time. Don't forget the Dodgers gave up Carlos Santana to acquire Mr. Blake. And for what it's worth, he's almost certainly a better player right now than our current backup third baseman.
Bottom 4th: Cleveland
- J. Kipnis grounded out to shortstop
- A. Cabrera doubled to deep left
- N. Swisher doubled to center, A. Cabrera scored
- J. Giambi doubled to deep right center, N. Swisher to third, N. Swisher out at home
- J. Giambi caught stealing, catcher to third

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
User avatar
Pabo
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Location: Weirton, WV, USA
Favorite Player: Jason Giambi
Least Favorite Player: Joe Haden

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Pabo wrote:Blake was not a great ballplayer, but I'll give him credit for coming here and not being a total disaster. He was much better than anyone our farm system could have produced at the time. Don't forget the Dodgers gave up Carlos Santana to acquire Mr. Blake. And for what it's worth, he's almost certainly a better player right now than our current backup third baseman.


Dude- we get it. You dislike Jason Donald or at least his 'contributions'. Now stfu and develop another, different coherent thought that adds something/anything.

Please.

At least pick another player to hate and break up the back to back lame-ass efforts.

You're the Jason Donald of posters: originally people thought you had promise. Now you do the same shitty thing every single time you play and people are tired of seeing it.

;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu May 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Peeker I had to call the cops because you just murdered that guy.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Peeker I had to call the cops because you just murdered that guy.


No harm in getting on guys or stating an opinion. Even more than once. Happens here all the time unless it's your only trick. You critique, I critique, all of us. But for the mist part people add something before doing nothing but taking away.

We all have our biases regarding players. But Christ, add just one thing of value before you become a.cartoon character. Or bitch somewhere else like Cleveland.com where your brothers in hatred will lift you up.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu May 10, 2012 1:51 pm

peeker643 wrote:We all have our biases regarding players. But Christ, add just one thing of value before you become a.cartoon character.


That's not completely fair, Peek. Redneck has managed to make a niche for himself as being that cartoon character here.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
User avatar
WiscTribeFan
Mook
 
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 pm
Location: Kenosha, WI
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:09 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
peeker643 wrote:We all have our biases regarding players. But Christ, add just one thing of value before you become a.cartoon character.


That's not completely fair, Peek. Redneck has managed to make a niche for himself as being that cartoon character here.


True.

But I've explained that he's an anomaly. I'm not sure he's capable of anything more and he's got dibs on village idiot status until he dies in a meth-cooking, trailer related fire or in a fight over a Dale Earnhardt cooler.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu May 10, 2012 2:19 pm

peeker643 wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:
peeker643 wrote:We all have our biases regarding players. But Christ, add just one thing of value before you become a.cartoon character.


That's not completely fair, Peek. Redneck has managed to make a niche for himself as being that cartoon character here.


True.

But I've explained that he's an anomaly. I'm not sure he's capable of anything more and he's got dibs on village idiot status until he dies in a meth-cooking, trailer related fire or in a fight over a Dale Earnhardt cooler.


Who's next in line then? Mother?
Don't go away mad, just go away.
User avatar
WiscTribeFan
Mook
 
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 pm
Location: Kenosha, WI
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Casey Blake retires

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:38 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
WiscTribeFan wrote:
peeker643 wrote:We all have our biases regarding players. But Christ, add just one thing of value before you become a.cartoon character.


That's not completely fair, Peek. Redneck has managed to make a niche for himself as being that cartoon character here.


True.

But I've explained that he's an anomaly. I'm not sure he's capable of anything more and he's got dibs on village idiot status until he dies in a meth-cooking, trailer related fire or in a fight over a Dale Earnhardt cooler.


Who's next in line then? Mother?



God NO.

I like redneckofsc.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22632
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson


Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gbot and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: gbot and 1 guest