Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Sowers needs to go, Carmona stays for the moment.

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Sowers needs to go, Carmona stays for the moment.

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Thu May 10, 2007 7:18 am

sowers is still unstable and inconsistent

Carmona is on fire and how you cannot let him keep going at least until he puffs out is beyond me....

do something with sowers and let carmona stay if he is still like this when jake comes back and jeremy is still stuglling and getting sheled every 3 starts

If something works you stay with it, i dont care ehat the situation.
If a team wants to win they wont screw up the winning flow, even if nolan ryan is coming in to replace.

thats just my view, ive seen all too many times where teams mess up the rythm from bringing back an injured man or "switching things up" and it costs them dearly.

It goes back to the old antage, if it aint broke dont fix it.
Last edited by Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! on Thu May 10, 2007 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby pup » Thu May 10, 2007 8:40 am

Sowers should get at least 6 more starts before Jake is back, and yes, if Carmona is still dealing and Sowers is not, then they have to stick with Fausto.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 10, 2007 11:33 am

OK, I guess you want Adam Miller in the rotation over Sowers right now? Come on, that's ridiculous. Jeremy will be fine. Aside from two bad starts, he has four quality starts and given his team a chance to win every one of them. The bullpen's blown two wins for him already. I'm not worried yet.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu May 10, 2007 11:40 am

Skating Tripods wrote:OK, I guess you want Adam Miller in the rotation over Sowers right now? Come on, that's ridiculous. Jeremy will be fine. Aside from two bad starts, he has four quality starts and given his team a chance to win every one of them. The bullpen's blown two wins for him already. I'm not worried yet.

I think the original point was which of Sowers or Carmona would be sent down when Westbrook returns from the DL. Miller's not part of the equation yet.

And I found the original point to be intriguing, thought-provoking, and brilliantly analytical, since I made the same suggestion earlier.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 10, 2007 11:42 am

Everyone is just going nuts because he isn't the Sowers from last year. Once again, 4 quality starts in 6 outings. He's giving his team a chance to win sans the Yankee disaster and his last start against BAL.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu May 10, 2007 12:03 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Everyone is just going nuts because he isn't the Sowers from last year. Once again, 4 quality starts in 6 outings. He's giving his team a chance to win sans the Yankee disaster and his last start against BAL.

It's a valid point. I was going to rail on how lousy he'd been in his last B-List until I looked at this starts, and 4 are quite good (albeit sometimes weird, like the first, with 1 H and 5 BB).

But the problem I have with Sowers is more fundamental: he IS the Sowers from last year. He doesn't strike anyone out. He doesn't have ground-ball stuff like Carmona. And he is basically Dave Fleming. A finesse lefty like that can get a few good turns through the league, but unless he adds something to his repertoire, he's just ... not ... that ... good.

Shoot, I'm not advocating dumping a major-league-quality starter just because I'm nervous. That makes no sense. But the fact is, if you are going to add Westbrook back on the roster after the DL stint, one of Carmona or Sowers will go down. Right now, because of his repeatable ground-ball stuff and better performance, I pick Carmona as the one to stay. (Since we don't have to make this decision now, we shouldn't make this decision now, but we also shouldn't be afraid to make this decision if nothing changes.)
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby dmcdougal » Thu May 10, 2007 1:23 pm

This is the second post today that you're showing some disgust with the team.. we're 20-11 man

Don't give up on Sowers just yet. He is a great pitcher. He has showed some control problems at the start but he can't just be sent down the minors, it would be pretty devastating to someone who has already established that he needs to be in the rotation.
dmcdougal

Unread postby pup » Thu May 10, 2007 1:29 pm

This is the second post today that you're showing some disgust with the team.. we're 20-11 man

While true, that doesn't mean everyone has to walk around with their head in the sand.

Do you think, presuming nothing changes over the next month, that Sowers should stay and Carmona sent down?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu May 10, 2007 1:31 pm

dmcdougal wrote:Don't give up on Sowers just yet. He is a great pitcher. He has showed some control problems at the start but he can't just be sent down the minors, it would be pretty devastating to someone who has already established that he needs to be in the rotation.

I realize this is addressed to Nimno, but I'll chime in:

1) I'm not giving up on Sowers, I am evaluating him as giving us a lower opportunity to win than Carmona. I would be interested in seeing a supportable refutation of this assertion.

2) If Sowers would be "devastated" by being sent down, he is not mentally tough enough to pitch in the majors. Don't like it? Pitch better. (By all accounts, Sowers' makeup is one of his truly extraordinary characteristics: I don't believe this would be an issue.)

Really, I don't think anyone who's thinking carefully would call for Sowers to be released because "he sucks." He doesn't. Four of his starts have been quite good. However, it's hard for me to see a rational argument that Sowers has performed better than Carmona this season. And, more to the point, I believe I could make a better argument that the likelihood of future success in 2007 is greater for Carmona than it is for Sowers. Which is, after all, pretty much the point.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Unread postby dmcdougal » Thu May 10, 2007 1:35 pm

He's definitely not playing like he did last season, but I still strongly disagree with a trip to the minors. Let him work it out at this level. Besides, he can still get a few starts before Westbrook comes back, so he has plenty of time to work it out. Regardless, I believe a trade is in the works. We have 6 quality, major league-ready pitchers on this team and a few more back at AAA. I love how Paul Byrd is pitching but I'm sure other teams do as well.
dmcdougal

Unread postby pup » Thu May 10, 2007 1:47 pm

He's definitely not playing like he did last season, but I still strongly disagree with a trip to the minors. Let him work it out at this level. Besides, he can still get a few starts before Westbrook comes back, so he has plenty of time to work it out. Regardless, I believe a trade is in the works. We have 6 quality, major league-ready pitchers on this team and a few more back at AAA. I love how Paul Byrd is pitching but I'm sure other teams do as well.

The question is, if we have CC, Byrd, Lee, Jake, Carmona and Sowers still here, and each is pitching the way they are currently, who do you send down.

I agree with Buff, 100%. If he can't handle the demotion, he can't handle Game 4 of the World Series.

There are only 2 ways to work it out at this level when everyone is healthy. 6 man rotation or send down Carmona. Which are you suggesting?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Thu May 10, 2007 2:05 pm

dmcdougal wrote:This is the second post today that you're showing some disgust with the team.. we're 20-11 man

Don't give up on Sowers just yet. He is a great pitcher. He has showed some control problems at the start but he can't just be sent down the minors, it would be pretty devastating to someone who has already established that he needs to be in the rotation.

this is not a bashing thread

its a thread where i am stating the obvious and citiquing the current roster and analyzing how we can make it better and get more wins.

if i were managing, Carmona goes no where unless he falls apart

the only reason carmona is not a shoe in starting is becasue he has no name for himself and is unproven.

i think hes proven enough for the short term future, HE HAS TO START AND STAY PUT

im not saying put sowers in the minors or keep him up. Im just saying carmona not staying here is CRAZY
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu May 10, 2007 2:38 pm

I don't understand why people are flying off the handle here. Why is this even an issue at this point in time? Westbrook's out for another month. That gives Sowers a few starts to get it together. If he does, somebody wants Paul Byrd. If he doesn't, then he is the only starter with options and he goes to Buffalo.

This really is not something to think about at this point in time, in my opinion. No one here has their head in the sand about Sowers, Pup, we all know he hasn't been all that good. I'm pointing out that he is still giving the team a chance to win.

Does anyone realize that what we are getting from Sowers is what we have gotten consistently from Cliff Lee the last three seasons? Without the run support Lee got in '05, he doesn't win 18 games. Cliff Lee is good for a number of 3/4 ER 7 IP starts. No one has jumped on him about that. He threw that CG the other night, well Sowers threw two back to back last season. It happens as a pitcher, especially a young lefty that doesn't overpower.

I'm not expecting Sowers to be the second coming of Tom Glavine, I'm just figuring that he will be a good #3 starter. He changes speeds, changes eye levels, and he is a solid pitcher when his control is on. Of our starters, he is of the most importance to get strike one. And thus far, he hasn't done that yet.

I refuse to panic on the starting pitching question until Westbrook is a week or two away. Sowers is still giving us a chance to win in 67% of his starts to this point. I'm fine with that from my #3/4 starter.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Thu May 10, 2007 2:46 pm

im not goign haywire

im just saying that there are TONS of guys in all sports that are AMAZING but never get their chance becasue of circumstances like this

this might be carmonas one and only shot to be great and sending him down could cause mental issues, him thinking hes not good enough.

And not being exposed to MLB for a long time could hurt him and he may not be as good as he was.

I just really like this guy and it would be a shame to see him not stay here
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby dmcdougal » Thu May 10, 2007 3:01 pm

The title of the thread is somewhat misleading if you indeed are just saying that Carmona needs to stay...

Anyway, I agree with Tripods here. I am not ready to panic or take Sowers out of the rotation. We have 4 starters performing well and we're a month and a half into the season, we can wait for Sowers to pick it up.

There are only 2 ways to work it out at this level when everyone is healthy. 6 man rotation or send down Carmona. Which are you suggesting?

I don't know what I'm suggesting. I wouldn't even say that I am suggesting anything except that people need to calm down and give it some time. Westbrook's oblique won't let him start for another couple of weeks so Sowers and Carmona will each have time to work. If I were Shapiro or Wedge, which I'm not, I would wait until I absolutely have to make a decision. If Westbrook came back RIGHT now, I would make a six man rotation until something else happened. However, things are guaranteed to change before Westbrook comes back
dmcdougal

Unread postby pup » Thu May 10, 2007 3:42 pm

No one here has their head in the sand about Sowers, Pup,

I meant it more along the lines of looking ahead. Sowers has not been all that bad, as mentioned earlier, but Carmona has been better. This is not a bashing Sowers type of thing, but really the only options are Sowers and Carmona since barring a trade CC, Jake, Lee and Byrd are not going anywhere.

One of the reasons for the forums is to look ahead and see what others think.

I cannot imagine a 6 man rotation is going to happen, but they probably said the same thing about 5 man rotation at one point.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Thu May 10, 2007 4:32 pm

Westbrook is still 3-4 weeks from returning, of which Sowers and Carmona will likely get 4-6 more starts. Clearly, the Indians need to decide which one of Carmona/Sowers to send down when the time comes to activate Westbrook. Obviously, today, that decision will call for Sowers to go down. But, a lot can change over the course of the next month. Let's just sit back and see what happens, then revisit this when the time comes that Westbrook is about to be activated.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Thu May 10, 2007 7:21 pm

Drennan is talking Sowers to Buffalo and getting Adam Miller a taste until Westy comes back. I don't think it is happening, only because it leads to the predicament of having the discipline to send him back down.

And if service time is the reason, than we can begin the DIACF threads once again.

If the reason is he is not ready or they want to limit his innings for one more reason, at least those are baseball decisions and I can understand them.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Dozen » Thu May 10, 2007 8:04 pm

Consigliere wrote:Westbrook is still 3-4 weeks from returning, of which Sowers and Carmona will likely get 4-6 more starts. Clearly, the Indians need to decide which one of Carmona/Sowers to send down when the time comes to activate Westbrook. Obviously, today, that decision will call for Sowers to go down. But, a lot can change over the course of the next month. Let's just sit back and see what happens, then revisit this when the time comes that Westbrook is about to be activated.

I agree 100%, personally I want to see how Sowers responds to this. I'm willing to be patient with him becaus of his age and potential. If we should be worried about anything it's a .200 hitter being moved into the 2 hole in our everyday lineup.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Dozen » Thu May 10, 2007 8:05 pm

Pup wrote:Drennan is talking Sowers to Buffalo and getting Adam Miller a taste until Westy comes back. I don't think it is happening, only because it leads to the predicament of having the discipline to send him back down.

And if service time is the reason, than we can begin the DIACF threads once again.

If the reason is he is not ready or they want to limit his innings for one more reason, at least those are baseball decisions and I can understand them.

You lost me as soon as you mentioned Drennan :lol:

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby FUDU » Thu May 10, 2007 8:43 pm

You lost me as soon as you mentioned Drennan

That is a shame b/c there probably isn't a member of the Cleveland media that has half the knowledge and love of the game as Bruce.

For baseball fans in Cleveland, when Bruce talks they should listen.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby swerb » Thu May 10, 2007 8:51 pm

Listen, I think you go to Adam Miller for a couple starts here.

His upside potential is so much higher. Remember we were in a similar situation with CC six years ago. Manuel demanded him in his rotation despite the fact CC was 21 and most felt he needed more seasoning. CC responded with 180 IP, a 17-5 record, and 170 K's.

Can you picture this rotation with an effective Adam Miller in it?

I think you need to see what you have in Miller here. What if Byrd can yield us The Missing Piece at the deadline? What if Jake isn't ready in a month?

I just think the timing is perfect for this now. The team is off to a good start. Jake is shelved, and Jeremy could use a month down on the farm to work on some things.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Thu May 10, 2007 8:51 pm

well now

how about our boy sowers

shelled again :x :mad: :-x
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby Dozen » Thu May 10, 2007 8:57 pm

I disagree, he brings nothing of any kind of knowledge to myself that I cant figure out on my own. If you or I were to have been caught doing what he did, you can bet your rear-end we wouldnt be back as soon as he was let alone having a show with his title. To me he's an arrogant big headed blob that pours manure out threw his gums. But I understand people like him, thats fine. He's just not for me. Maybe when Bond's retires STO can land him a show called "Needle in a haystack". :lol:

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu May 10, 2007 10:18 pm

The one thing I always liked about Drennan is that if he didn't know something he never tried to act like he did (roda). I can understand why people don't like him, and in regards to FUDU's point about his knowledge, you at least have to meet him halfway - baseball knowledge from the 60' on who locally can you rank above the guy. Look at WKNR, Roda, Bishop and Rizzo are a joke as far as baseball is concerned, and as much as Brinda would like you to believe he's knowledgeable, he just isn't, especially in regard to the current game.

I'm not so sure I'm pimping Drennan as much as saying something about the local media. Christ.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby consigliere » Thu May 10, 2007 10:24 pm

Sorry guys, but I will disagree here.

This is not the perfect time to call up Adam Miller. While I believe he could come in and pitch well now, I don't think you basically throw Sowers under the bus to get him up here. Has Sowers been inconsistent to start the year? yeah.

But, he has had a couple nice outings. He hasn't been Jason Johnson-esque where just about every outing is awful. If that were the case, I'd be at the ticket window buying Sowers his fare to get back to Beefalo.

You give Sowers another 4-5 more starts, or at least until June. Reassess things at that time. If Westbrook is not ready, then maybe you call on Miller. I'm as geeked as the next person to get Miller up here, but gotta be patient here. We are, though, close to seeing Miller as another injury or extended poor pitching from Sowers and Miller is here.
consigliere

Unread postby Dozen » Thu May 10, 2007 10:44 pm

Dozen wrote:I disagree, he brings nothing of any kind of knowledge to myself that I cant figure out on my own. If you or I were to have been caught doing what he did, you can bet your rear-end we wouldnt be back as soon as he was let alone having a show with his title. To me he's an arrogant big headed blob that pours manure out threw his gums. But I understand people like him, thats fine. He's just not for me. Maybe when Bond's retires STO can land him a show called "Needle in a haystack". :lol:

I heard Peeker has a good take on him in The Dirt's June issue :lol:

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Thu May 10, 2007 11:22 pm

If Sowers continues to struggle and a) Westbrook isn't ready to return and b) Miller isn't deemed to be ready yet, why not give Jason Stanford the opportunity to be a bridge?

Prior to his injury a few years back Jason was looking like a keeper in the rotation.

It seems like Stanford is pitching very well so I would be interested to find out if he is able to perform at the major league level again.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby consigliere » Thu May 10, 2007 11:34 pm

If Sowers continues to struggle AND Westbrook is out longer than expected, it will be Miller who gets the call.

Stanford is really out of consideration except if they want a spot starter type for one start and then back to Buffalo, which is something they won't do with Miller.
consigliere

Unread postby drum » Sun May 13, 2007 11:10 pm

Consigliere wrote:If Sowers continues to struggle AND Westbrook is out longer than expected, it will be Miller who gets the call.

Stanford is really out of consideration except if they want a spot starter type for one start and then back to Buffalo, which is something they won't do with Miller.

Is there speculation Westbrook could be more than a couple weeks? I really would rather Miller not have to come up. Maybe a year where we aren't in contention and there's no pressure
drum

Favorite Player: Joe Posnanski
Least Favorite Player: Miami fans

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Thu May 17, 2007 2:52 pm

so can i get a bumpity bump bump bump 8) :cool: 8-)

CARMONA = DA MAN
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Unread postby lovsgrady » Thu May 17, 2007 8:09 pm

no :lol:
Why so serious
lovsgrady
Future Mrs. Sizemore

Unread postby tribefan333 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:14 pm

Miller is not coming up with CC, Byrd, Lee, Sowers, Carmona, and Westbrook coming back soon.

This is one where you just have to pick-a flip-of-the-coin thing. Sowers was very good last year, and has been hit or miss this season. Carmona has surprised me a little bit and is becoming our midseason ace. I'm not going to make any statements until Westbrook comes back and Sowers gets some more time.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby The Math God » Sun May 20, 2007 2:51 pm

I think it is about time for Sowers to have a mystery "injury" and go to Buffalo to Rehab.
That will give us a chance to plug in Miller after his finger is better and see what he can do.
Sowers is a smart kid but can't figure out what is going wrong while trying to get out major league hitters.
A short "rehab" stint in AAA will help him a lot.
The Math God

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun May 20, 2007 3:25 pm

tribefan333 wrote:Miller is not coming up with CC, Byrd, Lee, Sowers, Carmona, and Westbrook coming back soon.

This is one where you just have to pick-a flip-of-the-coin thing. Sowers was very good last year, and has been hit or miss this season. Carmona has surprised me a little bit and is becoming our midseason ace. I'm not going to make any statements until Westbrook comes back and Sowers gets some more time.

It's not even close to a flip of the coin. If it's between Sowers and Carmona then Sowers goes down. Sowers has been horrible outside of his first two starts this year. He's been all "miss" since the third week of April.

Sowers needs time at Buffalo. It's time to call Miller up until Westbrook returns. Let Sowers work things out at AAA before he loses us some more games up here.

As it stands we have little chance to win games that Jeremy Sowers starts. So what if he was good last year, baseball is about who's good now.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Sun May 20, 2007 3:47 pm

I would be very surprised to see Sowers go down to get Miller up here for just 3-4 starts tops. I'm not sure the Indians are very high on starting the option and service time clock on Miller right now unless they absolutely have to. With Westbrook scheduled to come back soon, I don't think they feel the need yet. If Westbrook was out for a few more months, then yes, Sowers maybe gets one more start than then it would be Miller Time if Sowers struggled again.
consigliere

Unread postby KFletch » Sun May 20, 2007 4:29 pm

Interesting fact about Sowers he has never struggled in his college or minor league career, I think his pitching problem is more mental than physical.

However, I agree w/ the previous poster that Sowers is going to have a mystery injury and end up at AAA for rehab so they can get inside his head and back on track.
KFletch

Unread postby drum » Sun May 20, 2007 6:21 pm

I don't want to hear any Adam Miller talk, especially with his hand trouble.

He isn't ready and with our 6 guys, there is no need to push him up.
Sowers needs some more starts, which he will get. They'll cross that bridge when it comes (Jake coming back)
drum

Favorite Player: Joe Posnanski
Least Favorite Player: Miami fans

Unread postby consigliere » Sun May 20, 2007 9:44 pm

KFletch wrote:However, I agree w/ the previous poster that Sowers is going to have a mystery injury and end up at AAA for rehab so they can get inside his head and back on track.

They don't need a mysterious injury for Sowers. He has options, so they can send him to Buffalo at anytime to work on his issues there.

The one who needs a mysterious injury is Cabrera. He is out of options, and as a result who need to be injurred to go to Buffalo on a max 30-day rehab.
consigliere

Sowers

Unread postby ArtGold » Tue May 22, 2007 7:39 pm

Sowers is throwing too many first pitch strikes, and when men are on base is starting to aim his pitches. The stuff is adequate for the majors, he has to relax and go back to pitching.

I think the umps may be pinching the plate a little bit on him concerning outside strikes to lefties. The big sweeping pitch ends up out of the zone when it hits the catchers glove, but is generally in the strike zone at that point in the sweep.

Overall, I suspect he will be a fine major league starter, and good for at least 12-15 wins per year.
ArtGold

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue May 22, 2007 8:07 pm

So Byrd definitely doesn't get kicked in the balls...Sowers or Cabrera maybe?
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB